Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:00 pm 

I started to play at 15. Someone told me that real guitarrists start to play before, and that age is relatively late to learn to play an instrument correctly...<br><br>Well now im 22, and i cant say im the female version of Jimi Hendrix, but hey...its ok. I play for fun and i love it.<br>I play bass too and some people say that bass players are only bad and frustrated guitarrist. Go and tell that to Jaco. Maybe there is a little component of frustration in some bass players, but, hey, what are they looking for...Music or leadership? Real bass players are nothing but bass players.<br><br>I ve known a lot of assholes in my life, but the winner was the one that told me that guitar was not made for a girl.<br><br>As you see, there is a bunch of stupid guitar typical topics.<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:37 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#49 date=10/02/04 at 06:58:23]<br><br>No, it's not completely different! How many of you guys could just "switch hands" without any LESS EFFECTIVENESS in "performance"? ;D<br><br>--Bat ;)[/quote]<br><br>I think George Carlin said he could switch hands in the middle and actually gain a stroke. :o<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:35 am 

[quote author=Scada link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#50 date=11/19/04 at 17:00:06]...Go and tell that to Jaco.[/quote]<br><br>I would, but he died from injuries sustained in a bar brawl in 1987. Funny quote from Jaco: He was being interviewed once and the interviewer asked him "where do you think Jazz bass is going?" and he got up and said "Right now it's going to take a piss" and he walked into the bathroom. However I digress.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:15 pm 

[quote author=Scada link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#50 date=11/19/04 at 17:00:06]Go and tell that to Jaco. Real bass players are nothing but bass players.[/quote]<br>What do you mean REAL? Are you saying Jaco is not authentic even though he practicly INVENTED HIS OWN BASS SOUND? LOL! Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Believe what you must.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:52 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#54 date=12/13/04 at 04:24:19]<br><br><br>I don't think Scada meant to put down Jaco Pastorius. Quite the contrary. <br>What's with all the flaming lately anyway, LatexSolarBeef/I'mSoCute/Eraserhead/ZankFrappa?  ;)<br>[/quote]<br>Lumpy, I'm sorry if I miss interpreted what she wrote, but I still am not sure what she means. I get real upset when people say negative things about such a beautiful musician (I mean a musician who makes beautiful music, not a beautiful musician, lol). I was actually locked out of the ZFourm for a few weeks, only just got back in and I had read this quote as a guest and I was furious that somebody was (so I thought) putting down Jaco, absoloutley furious. But I forgot about it when I got back in...lemme tell ya, couldve been mightily ugly if I hadnt been locked out and had the chance to respond. Poor Jaco, such a great talent...such a genius.  :'(<br><br><br>And I havent been meaning to flame people, its just topics havent been popping up lately that I have been interested enough to put positive input into. I was actually thinking of calling it quits seeing I have become very sour company recently.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:12 pm 

[quote author=ImSoCute link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=30#34 date=02/07/04 at 23:02:53]<br>Yeah, it took me a couple of days to learn all the notes. Took me about a week to nail all the rapid rhythm changes in the first 2 minutes or so of the song. <br><br>And hey, i also recently got a copy of Apostrophe (') tab book. If you can, get a copy of the Hot Rat's one. It's great!  [/quote]<br>So you don't have any problems playing stuff like 10 notes evenly in the space of 3, or 11 in the same space? Or how about 13 over 12, 11 over 12 or 7 over 6? Shit you must be good, or must have come from mastery of some other instrument. I have the sheet music to that piece and there are some insane rhythms written in there. But if you can really pull it off convincingly, then more power to you, you must be a real talent. I'd like to hear you play it. Any chance of hearing it?<br><br>There's a tab version circulating for guitar pro that's way off not only rhythmically but a lot of the notes are wrong too (though it's a really good stab at it). I plan to submit corrections to that piece once I get around to entering all the notes into GP.<br><br>It's a monster piece though, and one of my all time favorite FZ songs. I just heard the version from YCDTOSA vol. 4 today and they really pull it off quite nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:41 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#58 date=12/13/04 at 17:21:35]No, no, you shouldn't quit. I did that once, and believe me, it's no fun. [/quote]<br><br>[center]ooooh! Be careful what you bring back to everybody's memory, Lumpy.....<br><br>Image<br><br> ;D[/center]<br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#59 date=12/13/04 at 17:41:33]<br><br>[center]ooooh! Be careful what you bring back to everybody's memory, Lumpy.....<br><br>Image<br><br> ;D[/center]<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>[center]<br>ooh, and i think it's gonna leave the 7 & 10 for ya to pick up.<br>no quitting imsocute<br> ;)<br>[/center]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 pm 

[quote author=Echidnas Arf link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#57 date=12/13/04 at 16:12:43]<br>So you don't have any problems playing stuff like 10 notes evenly in the space of 3, or 11 in the same space? Or how about 13 over 12, 11 over 12 or 7 over 6? Shit you must be good, or must have come from mastery of some other instrument. I have the sheet music to that piece and there are some insane rhythms written in there. But if you can really pull it off convincingly, then more power to you, you must be a real talent. I'd like to hear you play it. Any chance of hearing it?<br><br>There's a tab version circulating for guitar pro that's way off not only rhythmically but a lot of the notes are wrong too (though it's a really good stab at it). I plan to submit corrections to that piece once I get around to entering all the notes into GP.<br><br>It's a monster piece though, and one of my all time favorite FZ songs. I just heard the version from YCDTOSA vol. 4 today and they really pull it off quite nicely.[/quote]<br>I had alot of trouble with those rhythms, but eventualy I did get them pretty well. I played it drunk once, and flattened it, think i might have mentioned it somewhere before (maybe in this thread). I have seen the Gpro version, and it is just a midi import, nothing more. But its okay, i guess. A correction would be great! <br>I dont have any recording stuff at the moment so, sorry. But I did download a fantastic version played by someone on the Kill Ugly.. forum, it was really really good. <br><br>Unfortunatley I have forgotten how to play most of it, as with alot of other Zappa shit I knew. I mean, I have forgotten how to play Peaches for fuck sake, whats up with that?! That was the first Zappa song I learnt in whole.  :) Have to look at it again I guess, classic tune.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:34 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#58 date=12/13/04 at 17:21:35]<br><br>No, no, you shouldn't quit. I did that once, and believe me, it's no fun. Well, you know, since you've been locked out (how did that happen?).<br><br>Alright, maybe you've been a bit frustrated (I know how that feels too!).  ;)<br>[hr]<br>I think Scada meant that if you had told Jaco that bass players are nothing but bad and frustrated guitar players, he would probably have been a bit... well, upset, I guess.[/quote]<br>I got it now. All apolgies to Scada. I just thought cause she put in the line bass players are just bass players or something, i assumed she was saying Jaco was a show pony, or something like that. Man, Jaco was something else...<br><br>This is how i got locked out: one day several weeks ago I actually went to click 'profile' and then cancel my registration and leave. But i accidently clicked log out, haha, couldnt remember my password then a few days ago i remembered it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:37 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=45#56 date=12/13/04 at 14:17:38]<br><br>Tell you what, Zank, I guess that's what happens with everyone here now and then. No reason to quit. Take some distance and come back, worked fine for me in the past anyway.  [/quote]<br>I hear you. I prefer to read you peoples' opinions more than I like putting in mine. Especialy my recently sour ones, which seems to be all I can come up with, haha.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:06 pm 

[quote author=Zank Frappa link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=60#61 date=12/13/04 at 18:29:40]Unfortunatley I have forgotten how to play most of it, as with alot of other Zappa shit I knew. I mean, I have forgotten how to play Peaches for fuck sake, whats up with that?![/quote]<br><br>Man, that's the way it works with Frank's stuff, Zank. If you don't keep it fresh under your fingers, it slips away, like any other highly-skilled stuff would. Can you imagine an Olympic gymnast trying to pick up where they left off after not doing it for a year? You gotta work back up to it. Don't beat yourself up, man! ;D<br><br>Yeah..I just tried to play the "frantic bit" in Peaches and can't do it anymore, either. ;) But I could if I made it a priority, ya know? No worries.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:14 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=60#65 date=12/13/04 at 19:06:11]<br><br>Man, that's the way it works with Frank's stuff, Zank. If you don't keep it fresh under your fingers, it slips away, like any other highly-skilled stuff would. Can you imagine an Olympic gymnast trying to pick up where they left off after not doing it for a year? You gotta work back up to it. Don't beat yourself up, man! ;D<br><br>Yeah..I just tried to play the "frantic bit" in Peaches and can't do it anymore, either. ;) But I could if I made it a priority, ya know? No worries.<br>[/quote]<br>Too right man. Havent played Sinister or Peaches in months. I'm gonna have to give it another go. Been playing alot of Crimson and such lately and that has been keeping me very occupied.  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:58 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=60#67 date=12/14/04 at 05:23:44]DM: In your touring days with rock bands, did you see guys out there playing air guitar? <br><br>FZ: Sure. <br>  <br>DM: What is that, and how come girls don't do it? <br><br>FZ: Well, because their tits get in the way, for one thing -- same reason why you don't see that many girl guitar players unless they're handling it at a low altitude. But I think it's probably because girls are too smart to play air guitar. If ever there was something that the women's liberation movement could use to prove the inferiority of the male species, it's the extremely low number of women who play air guitar. <br><br>fz, 1992<br><br> ;D[/quote]<br>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!  ;D   ;D   ;D