Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zappa on life
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:04 pm 

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT." <br><br>"Without music to decorate it, life is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."<br><br>"Now imagine a Moebius vortex inside a spherical constant, and you've got my cosmology." <br><br>anybody else got some?<br><br>

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enfroced

my msn messanger email is elemeno_peep@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: zappa on life
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:50 am 

well, actually its not a quote, but somehow i like to quote it here.<br>its the name of a song i like very much and even more its the name of an album. my favorite qoute of fz words is, and i use sometimes:<br><br>you are what you is!<br><br><br>í don t know if i got the right translation of it. but i think, if it says what i think, it is the word that really can help through the allday-shit!<br><br>best regards<br><br>vince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:36 am 

'Pick me'<br><br>Everyone wants to be picked for something, don't they!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:36 pm 

Not a quote, but lyrics. I love the end of 'The meek shall inherit nothing'<br><br>"Do what you want to, do what you will,<br>Just don't mess up your neighbour's thrill,<br>And when you pay the bill, kindly leave a little tip,<br>For the next poor sucker on this one way trip."<br><br>A pretty good idea for living your life, no? :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:06 am 

'it's pretty easy to hate me for whatever reason you want...because i'm fairly unrepentant, i just dont care'<br><br>Cool, i love it! ;D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:58 pm 

shut (t.f.) up & play yer guitar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:01 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=quotes;num=1036796674;start=0#4 date=11/13/02 at 02:10:59]Just heart on Zappa Radio from Call any vegetable:<br><br>"It's just so fuckin' great to be alive..."[/quote]<br>

Post subject: Re: Zappa on life
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:20 pm 

[quote author=ZF link=board=quotes;num=1036796674;start=0#1 date=11/12/02 at 03:12:38]"Life is like highschool with money."[/quote]<br><br><br><br> ;D  Soooooooooooooo true  ;D I like that one!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:46 am 

I believe Mister Zappa to be right when he talks about the necessity of the WHEN in determining our view of things - and that time is higly a 'human' concept that definelty is not that straight forward as regular physics would makes us to believe...<br><br>but when he goes rumbling about 'everything is happening at the same time' always, etc, I kinda loose him. moreover, he seems to contradict himself when talking 'bout the coffee cup.<br><br>so - the concept of time is surely very interesting and inspiring, but zappas view of it seems like mystic mumbo jumbo to me - and he even explains clearly what he actually means by 'everything happening all the time', nor gives 'examples' or indications why he thinks this is.<br><br>if anyone else has other sources/ideas on this subject or zappas ideas on it, please post them - it is interesting debating stuff indeed! <br><br>good thing you revived the thread Lumpy!<br>

Post subject: re: zappa on life
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:30 pm 

Quote:
"Americans hate music, but they love entertainment. The reason they hate music is that they've never stopped to listen to what musical content is, because they're so befuddled by the packaging and merchandising surrounding the musical material they've been induced to buy.<br><br>There's so much peripheral stuff that helps them make their analysis of what music is...It's Garni Du Jour syndrome: You go buy a hamburger. If somebody gives you a hamburger on a dish it means one thing. If somebody gives you a hamburger on a dish with a piece of green stuff and a wrinkled carrot and a radish, it's a Deluxe Hamburger. It's still the same piece of dog meat on the inside, but it's got a Garni Du Jour...In music too, the way in which material is presented is equally important as what's on the record"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:50 am 

From the Sydney Morning Herald 16 Feb 2004:<br><br><br>Spooky. Last week Gavin Krawchuk, of Chatswood, received a distressing phone call at work from his housemate. His goldfish of five years had swum its last lap. The fish's name was Frank (after the musician Frank Zappa). While receiving the sad news, Gavin glanced at the quote of the day on his Inspirations desk calendar. It was by Frank Zappa - "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:32 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=quotes;num=1036796674;start=0#14 date=06/05/03 at 13:21:45](I posted this under the "The Meaning of Life"-thread a couple of weeks ago, but no one has posted any kind of reaction to it, so I'll try again here!)  ;)[/quote]<br><br>Ok, here's my reaction, LumpGravy  ;) :<br><br>Didn't FZ say something like that in a (very short) fragment at the end of the AAAFNRAA-documentary about the Yellow Shark-sessions: "What something is depends more on when it is than anything else."?<br><br>Maybe that extended quote of yours is an 'outtake' from that doc. I always wanted to hear more of FZ's thoughts on that. Thanks.  :D<br><br>[sub]Woops, just noticed your post was more than a year old... Ah well. ;)[/sub]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:11 am 

[quote author=GeekK link=board=quotes;num=1036796674;start=15#22 date=06/28/04 at 09:32:58]<br><br>Ok, here's my reaction, LumpGravy  ;) :<br><br>Didn't FZ say something like that in a (very short) fragment at the end of the AAAFNRAA-documentary about the Yellow Shark-sessions: "What something is depends more on when it is than anything else."?<br><br>Maybe that extended quote of yours is an 'outtake' from that doc. I always wanted to hear more of FZ's thoughts on that. Thanks.  :D[/quote]<br>I certainly can't speak for Frank, but I'll take a stab at explaining this one.<br><br>In the past when I have talked to teenage guitar players, we'll get on the topic of someone from the past and they respond "I don't know why everybody says he's so good. There are lots of guys who blow him away." Hendrix is often the topic. I point out that to fully appreciate Hendrix, you have to take into account the historical significance of what was going on in music at the time he showed up. I give examples, then insert Hendrix, then I get them to see how it was as if Hendrix dropped down from another planet and everything about how people use electric guitars and big amplifiers changed forever. Then I show them how the guys they like to listen to now that they think blow him away have built off of what he did. Then I get them to see just how creative and fresh Hendrix stuff still sounds if you really listen. Effects and recording techniques are more clean and complex than they were 35 years ago, so that's why the new stuff sounds different, plus they've grown up listening to generations of guys who built off of what Hendrix did, so to their ears, without this historical perspective, Hendrix doesn't sound that special to them until you explain how it all ties together.<br><br>"What something is depends more on when it is than anything else"<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>For keyboard players, you could use the example of the Moog vs. every other synthesizer that's out there today.<br><br>Yesterday's innovation becomes today's norm, and to keep things moving we gotta try to keep deviating from the norm. <br><br>Thanks Frank.