Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:49 am 

So I was lucky enough to catch the Muffin Men on their current tour and brilliant they were too but Jimmy Carl Black said something I thought I'd share with you lot.<br><br>Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy JCB and love his involvement with the muffs and I have seen him & them 4 or 5 times. I have heard JCB talking to fans after the shows about his respect and friendship with Frank. I know JCB has been battling with leukemia for a few years so I understand he might be somewhat pissed off.<br><br>Anyway before they played 'Take your clothes off' JCB said something along the lines of - "this is from a album called WERE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY, it should have been called HE'S ONLY IN TI FOR THE MONEY". He then went on to say he never got any money and he's 67 and still has to do this shit etc etc. At the back of the stage was a banner with a skull on it. JCB said he (FZ) looks like that now.<br><br>I was quite shocked really and it put a bit of a downer on the show. JCB appeared quite pissed off about the $$$. <br>I couldn't help feel it was not the time nor place to bring this up. After all he is on tour playing FZ music.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:38 am 

Fuck that wrinkled old fuck!! How dare he make fun of and disrespect FZ and bitch in public about any issues he had with him! Fuck him!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:50 pm 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=quotes;num=1111592971;start=0#0 date=03/23/05 at 07:49:31]Anyway before they played 'Take your clothes off' JCB said something along the lines of - "this is from a album called WERE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY, it should have been called HE'S ONLY IN TI FOR THE MONEY". He then went on to say he never got any money and he's 67 and still has to do this shit etc etc. [/quote]<br><br>Ringo, I don't know you and I wasn't at the concert, but I gotta call you on this. <br><br>A sarcastic or joking statement taken out of context can be slanted to have an entirely different meaning. I think that's the case here. I'm guessing "this shit" refers to traveling around and playing in bars, not that Frank's music is shit. If I was still playing in bars at 67 years old, I'd have to joke about it too. I don't think that statement is a big deal at all. I got to hang with JCB for a bit a few years ago and didn't see him as a bitter old man at all. Just the opposite; he was a really nice guy and wasn't the least bit pretentious, so it's hard for me to imagine it going down the way you're painting it.<br><br>
Quote:
At the back of the stage was a banner with a skull on it. JCB said he (FZ) looks like that now.<br>
<br><br>If he said that, that would have been fucked up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:21 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=quotes;num=1111592971;start=0#6 date=03/23/05 at 14:50:20]<br><br>Ringo, I don't know you and I wasn't at the concert, but I gotta call you on this. <br><br>A sarcastic or joking statement taken out of context can be slanted to have an entirely different meaning. I think that's the case here. I'm guessing "this shit" refers to traveling around and playing in bars, not that Frank's music is shit. If I was still playing in bars at 67 years old, I'd have to joke about it too. I don't think that statement is a big deal at all. I got to hang with JCB for a bit a few years ago and didn't see him as a bitter old man at all. Just the opposite; he was a really nice guy and wasn't the least bit pretentious, so it's hard for me to imagine it going down the way you're painting it.<br><br><br>If he said that, that would have been fucked up. [/quote]<br><br>I am with you swift. My overall impression of JCB was like you a pretty good guy. I did not mean to give the impression "this shit" meant FZ's music and I apologize if anyone took it to mean that. I certainly understood it to mean gigging at 67. Nevertheless the comments did seem to come out of nowhere at a gig that was going very well. As others have mentioned, there is a time and a place and in front of 200+ Zappa fans who came to hear Zappa music being performed live is not the place. <br><br>I don't want this to turn into a hate JCB thread, that was not my intention. As I said before, I have heard him refer to Frank with much respect many times in the past - I was just surprised at his outburst. <br><br>Unfortunately he did make a connection between FZ and the Skull banner - I guess he was upset about something that night.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:30 pm 

By the way, you can see the skull banner I was talking about here http://www.muffinmen.co.uk/<br>Its the new t-shirt with the skull and 3 bones spelling Z.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:16 pm 

I do think that the use of the skull with the Z and the likeness of the FZ "imperial" moustache is WAY OUT OF LINE!! Gail should sue these hammerheads!!!<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:33 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=quotes;num=1111592971;start=0#9 date=03/23/05 at 17:16:31]I do think that the use of the skull with the Z and the likeness of the FZ "imperial" moustache is WAY OUT OF LINE!! Gail should sue these hammerheads!!!<br><br>Image[/quote]<br><br>Does seem like an odd image to promote. I never noticed the tash on the banner at the gig so I was not sure if it was the muffs banner or the venues.<br>Don't be too hard on the muffs though - they are the best FZ cover band around.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:55 pm 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=quotes;num=1111592971;start=0#7 date=03/23/05 at 16:21:26]<br>I am with you swift. My overall impression of JCB was like you a pretty good guy. I did not mean to give the impression "this shit" meant FZ's music and I apologize if anyone took it to mean that. I certainly understood it to mean gigging at 67. Nevertheless the comments did seem to come out of nowhere at a gig that was going very well. As others have mentioned, there is a time and a place and in front of 200+ Zappa fans who came to hear Zappa music being performed live is not the place. <br><br>I don't want this to turn into a hate JCB thread, that was not my intention. As I said before, I have heard him refer to Frank with much respect many times in the past - I was just surprised at his outburst. <br><br>Unfortunately he did make a connection between FZ and the Skull banner - I guess he was upset about something that night.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Cool, Ringo. I understand what you mean now.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:25 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=quotes;num=1111592971;start=0#9 date=03/23/05 at 17:16:31]...Gail should sue ...[/quote]<br>she did, & those clowns backed down, but that logo goes beyond bad taste....those malicious pricks should be shot, like, wtf did they think the fans reaction would be<br><br>maybe....maybe if he hadn't come up with that comment, a little slack was in order, and the logo could be normalized as a grandmothers/zappa theme without actually associating it with fz<br><br>debating whether to flame the fuckers in an email

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:48 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=quotes;num=1111592971;start=0#12 date=03/23/05 at 22:25:52]<br><br>debating whether to flame the fuckers in an email[/quote]<br><br>Muffin Men website has a guestbook...better flame them mofo's there: http://www.muffinmen.co.uk/<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:05 pm 

[quote author=UNICA link=board=quotes;num=1111592971;start=0#14 date=03/24/05 at 00:48:54]<br><br>Muffin Men website has a guestbook...better flame them mofo's there: http://www.muffinmen.co.uk/<br><br>[/quote]<br>Image<br>ugly fuckers as well

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:04 am 

No connection at all...just tasteless...very tasteless. :-/<br><br>Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:08 am 

i see it similar to uncle meat and everything is healing nicely  ::)

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next