Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:46 am 

<br>Hi there!<br><br>I'm doing a comic that includes a Frank Zappa quote from the DOES HUMOR BELONG IN MUSIC video. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it anymore. Could you complete/correct what I can recall from memory? Many thanx in advance, will post the comic here, in case you're interested.<br><br><br>Reporter: You have spoken out against drugs. Why do you smoke cigarettes?<br><br>Zappa: To me a cigarette is food.<br><br>[laughter]<br><br>Zappa: ... ...... ...... (can't recall this part) to people who think they will live forever if they stay away from tobacco smoke...<br> <br>I find this a little hard to deal with. I live my life eating these things and drinking this black water in this cup here.<br><br> <br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:02 am 

fz
Quote:
well, to me a cigarette is food, you see; now that may be a baffling concept to people in san francisco who, who have this theory that they will live forever if they stamp out ah, tobacco smoke...<br><br>i find this a little bit difficult to deal with, but, i live my life eating these things and drinking this black water in this cup here, ok?
<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:17 am 

Too cool! Thank you very much!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:33 pm 

I understand where hes coming from. But its hypocricy either way...<br><br>Its also ironic that a man who spoke out against drugs was killed by drugs. <br><br><br>Ciggaz not drugs? Gimme a fuckin' break! It kills more people than heroin! <br><br>Can you get addicted to it? Yes...thus it is a drug.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:49 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#3 date=11/24/05 at 18:33:27]Ciggaz not drugs? Gimme a fuckin' break! It kills more people than heroin! <br><br>Can you get addicted to it? Yes...thus it is a drug.[/quote]<br>I fully agree.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:39 pm 

Actually, it is a comic on the topic "My biggest mistake", and my story is going to be about smoking (although I'll try not to get overly preachery). Of course, cigarettes make you a junkie just as much as heroin does, and the meanest part is the psychological slavery Alan Carr has so successfully written about. And for all we know, Frank Zappa might still be around if he hadn't been eating these things.  But he was a child of his time just as much as everybody is. <br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:51 pm 

[quote author=spong link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#0 date=11/24/05 at 07:46:10]...I'm doing a comic that includes a Frank Zappa quote...[/quote]<br>dear mr/ms. spong:   <br>   <br>you came to the right place, this is it; i'm sure we can negotiate an equitable arrangement for the use of the aforementioned quotation...just private message me and we can discuss the details; a license for one-time use generally run in the mid 5-figure range ($40k to $60k), depending on the context, as long as the intent of the quotee isn't compromised...carte blanche use of all lyrics runs in the low $125k range
    we accept: <br><br>
  • certified cheque$
  • money order$
  • u.s. ca$h (well concealed, low denominations)
  • bullion
  • [sub]Image[/sub]
thank-you for your interest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:19 am 

<br>Hrkqz! Can someone please tell me what I am to make of that: ?<br><br>It's just 4 §$& panels with the interview sequence, fr krsts' sk!<br><br>[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#6 date=11/25/05 at 01:51:04]<br>dear mr/ms. spong:   <br>   <br>you came to the right place, this is it; i'm sure we can negotiate an equitable arrangement for the use of the aforementioned quotation...just private message me and we can discuss the details; a license for one-time use generally run in the mid 5-figure range ($40k to $60k), depending on the context, as long as the intent of the quotee isn't compromised...carte blanche use of all lyrics runs in the low $125k range
    we accept: <br><br>
  • certified cheque$
  • money order$
  • u.s. ca$h (well concealed, low denominations)
  • bullion
  • [sub]Image[/sub]
thank-you for your interest [/quote]<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:09 am 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#3 date=11/24/05 at 18:33:27]I understand where hes coming from. But its hypocricy either way...<br><br>Its also ironic that a man who spoke out against drugs was killed by drugs. <br><br><br>Ciggaz not drugs? Gimme a fuckin' break! It kills more people than heroin! <br><br>Can you get addicted to it? Yes...thus it is a drug.[/quote]<br><br>Why aren't you bitching about coffee too? It has caffeine, no? <br><br>I think Frank was against drugs of the mind-altering variety. Mild stimulants like caffeine and nicoteine are hardly on par with THC, LSD, cocaine, heroine, etc. etc. IMO<br><br>At no time did it seem that Frank's creativity and sharp wit were compromised by his use of these mild stimulants. Conversely, take a look at some members of the Grateful Dead now (or just before they died). Do any of them seem to be as in possession of their mind and faculties as Frank was while riddled with cancer and still smoking? <br><br>It's a big difference if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:12 am 

[quote author=BatchainPhase3 link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#7 date=11/25/05 at 02:13:35]If the only thing that qualifies something as a drug is that you can get addicted to it can you explain what that huge number of *SPAM* (drugs!) that are out there are? They're advertized constantly on TV, but you can't possibly get addicted to them even though taking them changes a whole lot of different things your body does![/quote]<br>You think people aren't getting addicted to some of these drugs? Isn't the the whole idea of the pharmeceutical industry to sell drugs? Do you think they're humane enough to stop addicting drugs from being released to the general public? <br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:56 am 

around 1999 it was called "addict personality disorder" or something,<br>and put in the same bag workaholics drugaddicts foodaddicts and<br>even sportsaddicts (you know, after certain amount of time doing exercise<br>you create dopamines that are the same chemical structure as opioids,<br>so the day an exerciseaddict doesn't do his thing he act like in abstinence syndrome),<br>well, then they separate different kinds of addictions (maybe as a political<br>economic action) and put the name "neurochemical dependence syndrome"<br> or something, to the senses perception altering drugs addicts, <br>anyway, in all of them there seem to be common factors<br>like genetic and disfuntional family,<br>and have similar sympthoms like poor tolerance to frustration, etc<br>in all of them there are a development to increase the comsuming<br>(an exercise addict that runed two miles would go for 2 and a half, etc)<br>there in the family is always a codependence or sort of thing<br>and members of the family have different caracters that represent<br>even after they leave the family, or reproduce them in new enviroments,<br><br>don't really know how much of it is true,<br>i readed it, but maybe dr noomies could clarify,<br><br>obviously an alcoholic tottaly intoxicated may crash and kill some people<br>besides him, an exerciseaddict in abstinence may go and punch someone<br>and send him to the hospital, but well, the nicotine thing is another thing<br>as much in the industry field as in the political correct thing going on around it, as much money big tobbaco companys do, as much the non smoking thing have gone, the being healty hysteria, same as non legalising forbiden drugs, is got nothing to do with confering the real reasons for addictions<br>as much of it's got to do with the economic model of the world.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:50 pm 

[quote author=BatchainPhase3 link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#7 date=11/25/05 at 02:13:35]<br><br>FROWN-<br><br>If the only thing that qualifies something as a drug is that you can get addicted to it can you explain what that huge number of *SPAM* (drugs!) that are out there are? They're advertized constantly on TV, but you can't possibly get addicted to them even though taking them changes a whole lot of different things your body does!<br><br>--Bat[/quote]<br>I reckon *SPAM* drugs are amongst the worst there are. I've got a saying about drugs "You do them enough and you'll get addicted". Don't mater if it's pot or harry h. heroin you'll eventually get addicted if you abuse it. The amount of times when growing up that I heard someone say you can't get addicted to pot was uncountable. I heard it that much I that I believed it and bang I smoked it to much and I'm now addicted to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:56 pm 

[quote author=dkaplowitz link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#9 date=11/25/05 at 10:09:07]<br><br>Why aren't you bitching about coffee too? It has caffeine, no? <br><br>I think Frank was against drugs of the mind-altering variety. Mild stimulants like caffeine and nicoteine are hardly on par with THC, LSD, cocaine, heroine, etc. etc. IMO<br><br>At no time did it seem that Frank's creativity and sharp wit were compromised by his use of these mild stimulants. Conversely, take a look at some members of the Grateful Dead now (or just before they died). Do any of them seem to be as in possession of their mind and faculties as Frank was while riddled with cancer and still smoking? <br><br>It's a big difference if you ask me. [/quote]<br>Do you want me to bitch about caffeine? <br><br>All drugs do different things Dave and to justify him smoking ciggies when having a reputation as a drug hater is pretty lame. It killed him so it did compromise his creativity and wit etc. because it killed him at 53. Way to early if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:05 pm 

[quote author=My_Name_Is_Fritz link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#14 date=11/25/05 at 15:58:26]<br><br>I thought FZ died because of prostate cancer. So why he was killed by drugs ? Or did he smoke the cigarettes with his ass ?<br>[/quote]<br>well there you go. I always assumed it was lung cancer that killed him. it took 2 1/2 years to find that out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:28 pm 

There is a huge body of research that demonstrates that smoking is a definite risk factor in prostate cancer, so even though FROWNLAND may have been wrong about the reason on the surface, smoking may well have been the cause in FZ's case. Smoking doubles the risk of getting prostate cancer in the first place and it leads to more aggressive forms of the disease once it's contracted.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:32 pm 
Banned

[center][quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#3 date=11/24/05 at 18:33:27]Its also ironic that a man who spoke out against drugs was killed by drugs. [/quote]<br><br>[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#3 date=11/24/05 at 18:33:27]Can you get addicted to it? Yes...thus it is a drug.[/quote]<br><br>[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#3 date=11/24/05 at 18:33:27]It kills more people than heroin![/quote]<br><br>Frownland: Do me a favor and NEVER have kids, okay? :P ::)[/center]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:52 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#13 date=11/25/05 at 15:56:25]<br>Do you want me to bitch about caffeine? [/quote]<br>Shit no...it'll be wasted words. I've heard it all before.<br><br>[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#13 date=11/25/05 at 15:56:25]<br>All drugs do different things Dave and to justify him smoking ciggies when having a reputation as a drug hater is pretty lame. It killed him so it did compromise his creativity and wit etc. because it killed him at 53. Way to early if you ask me.[/quote]<br>What's better, a prolific genius who's life was curtailed by some 20 years or a potential genius who chooses the sad fantasy life of a stoner, never amounting to anything, but who lives to be 80 years old?  I'll take a short trip with an actualized genius who smokes cigarettes any day. 9 out of 10 stoners I talk to are total "throwaways" in the Ted Bundy sense.<br>      

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:57 pm 

[quote author=BatchainPhase3 link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=0#7 date=11/25/05 at 02:13:35]<br><br>FROWN-<br><br>If the only thing that qualifies something as a drug is that you can get addicted to it can you explain what that huge number of *SPAM* (drugs!) that are out there are? They're advertized constantly on TV, but you can't possibly get addicted to them even though taking them changes a whole lot of different things your body does!<br><br>--Bat[/quote]<br><br>Plenty of doctors are on the take from *SPAM* giants and the pitch may goe something like this...<br><br>"Carry our product(s)) and we'll give you all kinds of freebies,tax write-offs and swag. Pens & notepads,mousepads, totebags etc. Move enough of these drugz and we'll reward you with a trip to Hawaii."<br><br>Meanwhile...<br><br>I've yet to hear someone say that they wereglad started smoking. Usually I hear about how much it cost Someof those "professional" smokers-those who put away a pack or two a day-can't even start the day without one.<br><br>However...<br><br>I understand what FZ was saying about with the quote about stamping out tobacco and living forever, but we all would've loved to have seen him reach the average live expectancy and die of old age. Think of all ideas that he never go off the page.<br><br>Commence shit storm...<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:10 pm 

The ugly irony of it is that Frank was done in by "Flakes"<br><br>They don't do no good<br>They never be workin'<br>When they oughta should<br>They waste your time<br>They're wastin' mine<br>California's got the most of them<br>Boy, they got a host of them<br>Swear t'God they got the most<br>At every business on the coast<br><br>They're lyin' an' lazy<br>They can be drivin' you crazy<br><br>We are millions 'n' millions<br>We're coming to get you<br>We're protected by [s]unions[/s] malpractice insurance<br>So don't let it upset you

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:18 pm 

[quote author=dkaplowitz link=board=quotes;num=1132839970;start=15#19 date=11/25/05 at 17:52:53]<br>Shit no...it'll be wasted words. I've heard it all before.<br><br>What's better, a prolific genius who's life was curtailed by some 20 years or a potential genius who chooses the sad fantasy life of a stoner, never amounting to anything, but who lives to be 80 years old?  I'll take a short trip with an actualized genius who smokes cigarettes any day. 9 out of 10 stoners I talk to are total "throwaways" in the Ted Bundy sense.<br>      [/quote]<br>I understand you're point of view but it still in no way makes mine less valid.