Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:17 pm 

YOUR QUESTION:<br>Name: Pete <br>Comments: Trevor, I thought in old MB interviews at least Mike may have noted he was never a fan of Zappa when asked of Franks influence. Was Zappa an influence for you back then? How does it come about that Terry Bozzio becomes the fill in for Dave in Fantomas this year? (what is the connection, and who brought him into the band?). Does the band have a different feel with Terry filling in, or does he just play the parts? <br>MY ANSWER:<br>A lot of people used to assume that Zappa was an influence on Bungle. Though we did consider him for producing our first record he was never really a musical influence. In fact, I got into Zappa and Beefheart much later, after people told me that Bungle sounded like they had listened to that stuff. I still don't really understand why people think that. Maybe it's the pottie humor. I appreciate him as a musician and composer but I don't think his style is remotely related to where Bungle was coming from.<br>Buzz met Bozzio through a mutual friend so that's the connection. In my opinion, yes, the feel is completely different. More on that later....<br><br><br><br>I wonder what the better result would have been? The Zorn produced or the Zappa produced?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:49 am 

Interesting. I never knew that. I keep forgetting to visit Trevors site, cos his Q & A section is very interesting.....It would be a tough call as to which producer would have been better for the record....I always thought that Bungle were more influenced by Zorn more than Zappa, the Zorn influence is alot more apparent IMO. Good album though, even though it took a while to grow on me.....<br>Have you heard Trevor Dunns Trio Convulsant album Sister Phantom Owl-Fish? Thats a good record.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:02 pm 

I havent heard any of trevors records yet. I bet they rock. Hes an unreal songwriter. <br><br>Someone asked trevor 'Can I pee in your asshole?' ...only bungle fans I tell ya, sick fucks  ;)...<br><br><br>Im so hungover i feel like mud.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:33 am 

I can recommend Sister Phantom Owl Fish anyway........Nothing like Bungle / Fantomas, but a great album......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:52 am 

Funny, cause when I went into my favoured record shop back in 1992 and, as usually said: "Hey, what's new this time, you now something flippy and jazzy and crazy?" My dealer said:<br>"I Know, you're into Zappa. So, get THIS!" And played the first Bugle Album for me - which I bought right away  ;D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:59 am 

As a massive Zorn fan at the time, I really didnt like the first Bungle record when it came out.....I was convinced Patton and his pals sooo desperately wanted to be like Zorn / Naked City, I didnt dig the music.....This changed with the release of Disco Volante, and my favorite Bungle disc California....I still think Patton tries to be like Zorn, but Ive kinda let him off, cos they have done some great albums together......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:07 pm 

agree...<br>mrbungle is good, discovolante is ok, california is great... but mpatton is a jzorn-wanna-be that sicks me ever since faithnomore... i don't like him at all...  the rest of the bungle band are fine, but still can't believe that this trevor guy has never before heard zappa nor the captain... got to do your homework!<br><br>and jzorn is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:41 am 

I know how u feeling man.....Check out Fantomas though, as their stuff is great.....Also General Patton vs The Executioners is a good album, and not at all Zornesque....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:50 am 

I liked the Secret Chiefs' latest album a lot, could do without the grindcore tracks though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:32 am 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=quotes;num=1135653451;start=0#9 date=01/16/06 at 12:46:18]I, myself, prefer Secret chiefs 3 to Mr Bungle. I've only got Fantomas's Delirium Cordia, so I can't compare with the other Fantomas albums. What do they sound like?[/quote]<br><br><br>Delerium is nothing like the other three ( or four, if you count the Fantomas / Melvins Big Band album ).....the first album is quite Naked City - esque I guess, but maybe a little less schizo than NC.....The Directors Cut is them covering film scores - Incredible album, and Suspended Animation is back to the superfast, frenetic stuff ala' the first record.....Try and pick one of em up, because although I love DC, I feel it is the least impressive of all their releases.....<br><br>Havent had the pleasure of Secret Cheifs 3 as of yet, but have heard good reports....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:20 am 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=quotes;num=1135653451;start=0#13 date=01/17/06 at 01:50:02]Ok, thanks for the info, I thought it was a bit Naked City sounding, now I've got the confimation.[/quote]<br><br>Upon hearing them, at first I condemned them to more "Patton wanting to be Zorn" piffle....They grew on me though, and with further releases convinced me that they were / are just doing their own thing....Great live too.....I felt the same with Delerium Cordia too, I thought that this was Pattons version of Zorns Elegy / Chamber music......Again, it grew on me.....Better to be influenced by Zorn than ...say.....Janet Jackson or somebody...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:53 am 

I know what you mean aqua.....I miss Pattons SINGING voice! Sometimes, itd be nice to hear him singing properly again, rather than his recent, usual avant stylings.....Mind you, thats the good the about Patton vs The Executioners - PATTON SINGS PROPERLY!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:30 am 

Ill be playing a track from it on an upcoming show, on 28th January, if you want to check some out....Details below!!Shameless self promotion, but hey, what the fuck....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:41 am 

Nice one, thanks....It is the graveyard shift though I know....Most people have other things to do on Saturday nights!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:38 am 

I get the sense that this'll be an unpopular statement, but I've always thought Bungle was waaayyy better than Zorn.  Zorn is basically, it seems to me, into statistics and probabilities more than music.  Sometimes I wonder if he even cares what his work sounds like as long as it has some kind of downtown--ohh--that's--so--weird concept behind it.  He strikes me as the kind of guy who would be utterly lost if he ever tried to play music not "conceptualized" by himself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:41 am 

You obviously have only heard certain aspects of his catalogue. I agree, some of his music is difficult, yet others are not at all. The thing is with Zorn, you think you know what hes gonna do next, and then he puts out something totally different. If you dont like what youve heard from him so far, I guarantee you the is something in his catalogue that you will dig....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:27 am 

[quote author=PappaWas1975 link=board=quotes;num=1135653451;start=15#16 date=01/20/06 at 04:53:10]I know what you mean aqua.....I miss Pattons SINGING voice! Sometimes, itd be nice to hear him singing properly again, rather than his recent, usual avant stylings.....Mind you, thats the good the about Patton vs The Executioners - PATTON SINGS PROPERLY!![/quote]<br><br> If you're more into Patton's "proper" singing, check out the two Tomahawk CDs if you haven't already. Awesome shit, more all out rock than Fantomas. I think Tomahawk is superior to FNM. Also the Patton/Kaada CD "Romances" is supposed to be good(haven't got that yet).<br><br> ATTN: Patton fans. News at Ipecac! Peeping Tom - May 30th '06 ;D