Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
It's something like 'When I heard Varese's music, I thought-I'll be there someday. I'll be arranging, producing, and writing my own music just like this.'<br><br>It's a very un-Frank like quote. I was just wondering what exactly it is, since I don't remember it word for word.<br><br>Also...why he said it in the first place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 6:26 pm
Posts: 1
Zappa was refering to the composer Edgar Varese. After Frank heard a copy of The complete works of Edgar Varese Vol.1 he began to idolize the man. Varese was basically Zappa's musical hero while he was growing up. His music was very strange, ranging from works like Arcana, set for an orchestra of 120 musicians, including 70 strings and 8 percussionists playing 40 instruments, to stuff like Density 21.5 set for a solo flute made of platinum, a metal whose density gives the work it's title. He is known for his search of pure sound, which led to his use of electronics, such as the theremin. He is known as the father of electronic music. Zappa always loved his music and aspired to make music that was equally as impressive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: edgar varese
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7041
Location: exile
wankmasterwak wrote:
Zappa was refering to the composer Edgar Varese. After Frank heard a copy of The complete works of Edgar Varese Vol.1 he began to idolize the man. Varese was basically Zappa's musical hero while he was growing up. His music was very strange, ranging from works like Arcana, set for an orchestra of 120 musicians, including 70 strings and 8 percussionists playing 40 instruments, to stuff like Density 21.5 set for a solo flute made of platinum, a metal whose density gives the work it's title. He is known for his search of pure sound, which led to his use of electronics, such as the theremin. He is known as the father of electronic music. Zappa always loved his music and aspired to make music that was equally as impressive.


"hmmm... no foolin'..." :idea:

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7041
Location: exile
FeralCats wrote:
It's something like 'When I heard Varese's music, I thought-I'll be there someday. I'll be arranging, producing, and writing my own music just like this.'<br><br>It's a very un-Frank like quote. I was just wondering what exactly it is, since I don't remember it word for word.<br><br>Also...why he said it in the first place.


...anyway, the quote comes from a woman called Victoria Winston. Apparently, Zappa knew her in the mid-60s. They were neighbors for a while, in Hollywood. Now, she said that Zappa used to talk about Varese with her, and she said that Zappa said: "Someday I'll get there. I'll be producing, writing and performing this sort of music."

from 'Electric Don Quixote' by Neil Slaven, p.55

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15071
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
FeralCats wrote:
It's something like 'When I heard Varese's music, I thought-I'll be there someday. I'll be arranging, producing, and writing my own music just like this.'<br><br>It's a very un-Frank like quote. I was just wondering what exactly it is, since I don't remember it word for word.<br><br>Also...why he said it in the first place.


...anyway, the quote comes from a woman called Victoria Winston. Apparently, Zappa knew her in the mid-60s. They were neighbors for a while, in Hollywood. Now, she said that Zappa used to talk about Varese with her, and she said that Zappa said: "Someday I'll get there. I'll be producing, writing and performing this sort of music."

from 'Electric Don Quixote' by Neil Slaven, p.55


Wrong again Lumpy. This was uttered by Karen Carpenter, just after they released "Top Of The World".

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7041
Location: exile
calvin2hikers wrote:

Wrong again Lumpy. This was uttered by Karen Carpenter, just after they released "Top Of The World".


"Is this the Real Frank Zappa Forum or is this a Sears Frank Zappa Forum?"

__________________

can't wait for that new sig, hiker.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:36 pm
Posts: 56
Location: The Prakatice
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Wrong again Lumpy. This was uttered by Karen Carpenter, just after they released "Top Of The World".


"Is this the Real Frank Zappa Forum or is this a Sears Frank Zappa Forum?"

__________________

can't wait for that new sig, hiker.

Lamest use of a Zappa quote ever!

_________________
Nice fire, man!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
Yeah, I thought it didn't sound much like Frank.

Thanks all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:21 pm
Posts: 467
Remember, FZ started out composing classical music, fell into popular music (with a learned classical outlook) and eventually managed to get back to his first love in the end...ie Yellow Shark.

Although all through his output he managed to include orchestral works.

He succesfully opened my ears to classical composition so much so that when I hear Mozart or Beethoven, I am able to comprehend the stuff to some degree.

'Revised Music for Guitar and Low Budget Orchestra' off Studio Tan I love.

I recently saw an early performance of Rdunzle with Jean Luc Ponty on YouTube . It's not the album version. It is always very interesting to me see how his titles evolved.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 699
Location: The United States
I got into Zappa through my love of Varese's music. He's probably tied with Webern for my favorite composer.

_________________
"Once you go black, you never go back."
--Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:21 pm
Posts: 467
FeralCats wrote:
It's something like 'When I heard Varese's music, I thought-I'll be there someday. I'll be arranging, producing, and writing my own music just like this.'<br><br>It's a very un-Frank like quote. I was just wondering what exactly it is, since I don't remember it word for word.<br><br>Also...why he said it in the first place.


It doesn't strike me as un-frank-like.
FZ's first love was for classical music, I believe. Isn't this the guy who wanted a phone call to Edgar Varese as a birthday present? FZ spoke to Mrs Varese as Edgar was not at home at the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
It's not un-frank like because of the sentiment, but because of the sentimentality attached with it.

..I'm sure it's how he felt, and it's how I feel when I hear his music, but I don't think he would have worded it like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5947
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
I went back and read that stuff on page 55 of Electric Don Quixote and it's funny what can happen when you do something like that. I ended up with my blood boiling because Victoria Winston goes on to say how Zappa wrote some songs for her and her partner but their producer didn't like the material so they didn't record it. It's all upside down, the wishes of the actual artists is on the bottom rung. I know that's just how it is but I can't help getting mad about it. It just highlights the remarkable nature of Zappa'a career.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Spike Jones...
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:15 am
Posts: 321
Location: SFV, LA, CA, USA, Earth
What about good ole Spike Jones? He was also quite an influence of Frank's.

_________________
A true Zen saying, nothing is what I want.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group