Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Brian May on Zap
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:33 am 

Brian May just posted a thing about improvisation on his website www.brianmay.com where he talks about meeting FZ. <br><br>his quote:<br><br>"I was fortunate enough to meet Frank Zappa, a truly great rock musician, and a very unorthodox and innovative creator. He was already very ill when I met him (I was working with his son in L.A. ) I told him I admired his skill and courage in improvising so much in his music, live in front of large audiences. He said, "Courage? - What do you mean?! " I said that I was always very aware of the possibilities of making mistakes. He replied, "How can you make a mistake? It is your solo, your guitar, and you are playing a piece of your own music. Who could possibly tell you you are making a mistake ? !! "<br><br>Zappa wasn't afraid at all when he went out there. Gotta admire that.

Post subject: Re: Brian May on Zap
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:46 pm 

HA!   Great quote!   So true.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:31 pm 

Seems like he somewhat idolized him.<br>This doesn't add much, but...<br>"... (I can't quite make out exactly what he said in this line, but it went something like...) It's strange, but totally wonderful.  He's a lifetime of study in there.<br>... I like talking about Mr. Zappa.  He's a very inspiring man...<br>... I suppose there's more and more pressure as you get more and more famous and more public.  If you make a mistake, it's in front of fifty million people and Franks said "Mistakes?  What are mistakes?  Who's gonna tell you, you played it wrong?  It's your song, it's your guitar, It's your show!  You can play whatever you like!"  Yes, I think that's good advice and I take that to heart." - some interview

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:41 pm 

The respect was mutual as guitarists. In an earlier  interview, Brian May was one of the few people that FZ admitted to listening to (let alone like!) Others were Holdsworth and McLaughlin<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:33 pm 

Frank liked Jeff Beck, too....<br><br>I'm surprised Frank never heard or commented on Robert Fripp<br><br>I think someone asked him once and he said.."Who?"

"Wanna buy some pencils?...."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:43 am 

brian may is an asshole <br>a fag smelly asshole<br>like all in that drag queen band<br>"galileo figaro magnifico"? the must stupid sentence i've ever hear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:00 am 

[quote author=googly moogly link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=0#5 date=11/16/05 at 07:43:03]<br>"galileo figaro magnifico"? the must stupid sentence i've ever hear[/quote]<br><br> ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:42 am 

I'm not a huge Queen fan by any stretch, but I think Brian May is a fine guitar player with an instantly recognizable tone. <br><br>"fag smelly asshole?". Yeah, whatever..  ::)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:15 am 

[quote author=mutronboy link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=0#4 date=11/08/05 at 22:33:20]I'm surprised Frank never heard or commented on Robert Fripp<br><br>I think someone asked him once and he said.."Who?"[/quote]<br>HAHAHA! ;D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:29 am 

Brian has his own signature tone, which helps to seperate him from anyone else. I also think its particularly cool that he still plays the guitar he and his father built decades ago. 8)<br><br>He still plays his #1 favorite, Just like Willie Nelson and his guitar "Trigger."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:48 am 

so he has his tone<br>he plays the guitar his daddy made for him<br>everybody respect him<br>zappa liked him<br>mmmmmmmm.........................................................<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>he still sucks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:41 am 

Never liked Queen personally...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:55 pm 

I never used to be a fan, because my best friends brother, when I must have been about 12, used to play Queen and Dire Straits incessantly, which used to drive us insane. Then about 10 years later, I actually discovered them again, and realised I did like some Queen stuff. I aint never been a massive fan, but they were a damn tight band, good musicians. I love "Hammer To Fall" and "Fat Bottomed Girls". Hehehe.  ;D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:00 pm 

This always tickled me.....Brian May and his now wife, Anita Dobson have the same hair!<br><br>ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:09 am 

Everybody now - "...anyone can fall in love...." ( sang to the Eastenders theme ) .....remember that awful tune Anita Dobson had out?...Dont pretend you dont!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:47 am 

Ooooh I remember it alright hehehe....I also seem to remember "wicksy" releasing "Every Loser Wins, once the dream begins, in time you'll see, fate holds the key" hahahaha what a total loser...<br>Image<br><br>...and he had a mullet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:19 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=15#15 date=11/26/05 at 20:00:20]This always tickled me.....Brian May and his now wife, Anita Dobson have the same hair!<br><br>ImageImage[/quote]<br><br><br>nu nu nu nu aspy, both of them the same person,<br>first one brian may at home, second one brian may<br>ready to go to work<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:22 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=15#17 date=11/27/05 at 12:47:37]Ooooh I remember it alright hehehe....I also seem to remember "wicksy" releasing "Every Loser Wins, once the dream begins, in time you'll see, fate holds the key" hahahaha what a total loser...<br>Image<br><br>...and he had a mullet.[/quote]<br><br>Shit. I have to admit I did forget about that one....JJeeesssuuuss.....Lets not mention it ever again eh?<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:11 am 

[quote author=PappaWas1975 link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=15#16 date=11/27/05 at 12:09:33]Everybody now - "...anyone can fall in love...." ( sang to the Eastenders theme ) .....remember that awful tune Anita Dobson had out?...Dont pretend you dont!!!![/quote]I'm in OZ and I've only ever heard that once on some TV special and it's probably the closest I've ever come to wishing I had brain damage. I still get occasional waves of nausea and you've brought it all back to me.   :-X   ;D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:06 am 

Ive just noticed aspy, your pic of Anita Dobson is signed! Did you get it signed? Please tell me it isnt! How would you ever live this down girl?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:43 pm 

[quote author=PappaWas1975 link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=15#21 date=11/28/05 at 06:06:38]Ive just noticed aspy, your pic of Anita Dobson is signed! Did you get it signed? Please tell me it isnt! How would you ever live this down girl?[/quote]<br><br>LMFAO!!! Hahahahahaha AS IF!!!! <br>It was googled, but you knew that already....didntcha...huh?  ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:43 pm 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=15#20 date=11/28/05 at 04:11:52]<br>it's probably the closest I've ever come to wishing I had brain damage. I still get occasional waves of nausea and you've brought it all back to me.   :-X   ;D[/quote]<br><br>HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA LORDY, POLYDIGM THAT QUOTE MADE ME LAUGH!  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:23 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=quotes;num=1118003630;start=15#22 date=11/28/05 at 16:43:12]<br><br>LMFAO!!! Hahahahahaha AS IF!!!! <br>It was googled, but you knew that already....didntcha...huh?  ;)[/quote]<br><br>Errr....Yeah....yeah, of course I did.... :-X<br>