Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: What is this shit?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:57 am 

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... type=books<br><br>

Post subject: Re: What is this shit?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:15 am 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#0 date=01/15/05 at 02:57:09]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/a/2004/12/26/RVGU1ACM2T1.DTL&type=books<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Oh this thing again,  someone with an agenda.  I think it was discussed here some time ago.  Where's slime when you really need him. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:04 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:51 am 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#0 date=01/15/05 at 02:57:09]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/a/2004/12/26/RVGU1ACM2T1.DTL&type=books<br>[/quote]<br><br>Already covered here. I wrote that reviewer an e-mail telling him what I thought of his negative depiction of Frank. Check this thread if you want to read what I told him about his review. He even replied, but I didn't get through to him.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:33 pm 

[quote author=CloudStrifeXIII link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#6 date=01/17/05 at 15:12:02]this article is a bunch of crap!  To my knowledge, FZ never slept with Joplin, and calling him a "bad family man" is ridiculous.  I wonder what Gail and the kids have to say about this asshole's article??<br><br>the end says this:<br><br>Read Miles' biography to affirm Zappa's creativity, hostility and wild, exploitative lifestyle. Read it, too, for the story of a ruthless autodidact of strange, warped humanity<br><br>Well, read the Real Frank Zappa Book to get an accurate depiction of the real Frank, not some journalist's opinions of a musical genius...[/quote]<br><br>well said!<br>

Post subject: re: what is this shit?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:30 pm 

cloudstrifexiii wrote:
,,,To my knowledge, FZ never slept with Joplin...

miles' book, pg 149 wrote:
....including one night spent with janis joplin at the chelsea hotel; in the morning, she asked zappa if he had been any good the night before - she had been too drunk to remember....frank left in a huff...

now how the fuck did miles know about that little exchange ¿

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:22 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#10 date=01/18/05 at 04:48:37]he was certainly not a fan of women, if you listen to his lyrics and interviews.<br><br>:)[/quote]<br><br><br>You must be into a differnet Frank Zappa than me???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:36 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#12 date=01/18/05 at 14:15:30]<br>I don't think so. Ever listen to this lyric? <br>you're phony on top<br>Your phony underneath<br>You lay in bed and grit your teeth.....<br>That's you, american womanhood.<br><br>Or, do you think that the lyrics of songs like Dynamo Hum, Titties and Beer, Jumbo Go Away, Easy Meat, and Fine Girl express a deep appreciation for women?<br><br>You'd have to be blind not to notice this.[/quote]<br>Just speculating, but I always thought Frank was disgusted by all the songs that portray women as faultless and perfect and worshipable, so he wrote a few to tell the other side. Hold a few of 'em accountable.<br><br>Broken Hearts Are For Assholes was a wake up call for me. :D<br>It was like "Wow, you mean you can say women are assholes, too?! It's not always going to be ALL MY FAULT because I'm a guy?!" :o<br>Why not...it's true. It really is! Assholeness is genderless. <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:47 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#12 date=01/18/05 at 14:15:30]<br>I don't think so. Ever listen to this lyric? <br>you're phony on top<br>Your phony underneath<br>You lay in bed and grit your teeth.....<br>That's you, american womanhood.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I've never really thought of that quote as being misogynistic. To me it expresses frustration with women who don't think for themselves and challenges then to change.<br><br>However, I think Frank's attitude towards women in general was pretty unsophisticated, but I base that opinion of what he has said about women in interviews and TRFZB, not on the basis of the songs he wrote.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:49 pm 

[quote author=Serious_Poncho link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#3 date=01/15/05 at 11:04:02]Image[/quote]<br>That's the roller-headed lady who's front lawn is being peed on by The Wino Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:50 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#12 date=01/18/05 at 14:15:30]<br>I don't think so. Ever listen to this lyric? <br>you're phony on top<br>Your phony underneath<br>You lay in bed and grit your teeth.....<br>That's you, american womanhood.<br><br>Or, do you think that the lyrics of songs like Dynamo Hum, Titties and Beer, Jumbo Go Away, Easy Meat, and Fine Girl express a deep appreciation for women?<br><br>You'd have to be blind not to notice this.[/quote]<br><br>You seem to forget that Frank was an anthropologist and often wrote about subjects he knew or from the point of view of a subject.<br><br>You are suggesting Zappa was a sexist which is one of the most common misconception made with regards Zappa.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:53 pm 

ronnys noomies wrote:
...Or, do you think that the lyrics of songs like .....
  • crew slut
  • do you like my new car
  • jazz discharge party hats
  • advance romance
  • ms. pinky
  • keep it greasey
  • bwana dik
  • catholic girls
  • jewish princess
  • carolina hardcore ecstasy
  • honey doncha wanna man like me
  • crew slut
  • i promise not to jizz in yo' mouth
  • yo' mouth
  • find her finer
  • harder than yer husband
  • harry-as-a-boy
  • i have been in you
  • mud shark
  • norwegian jim
  • panty rap
  • pick me i'm clean
  • planet of the baritone women
  • sex
  • etc
  • etc
  • etc

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:55 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#13 date=01/18/05 at 14:36:02]<br>Just speculating, but I always thought Frank was disgusted by all the songs that portray women as faultless and perfect and worshipable, so he wrote a few to tell the other side. Hold a few of 'em accountable.<br><br>Broken Hearts Are For Assholes was a wake up call for me. :D<br>It was like "Wow, you mean you can say women are assholes, too?! It's not always going to be ALL MY FAULT because I'm a guy?!" :o<br>Why not...it's true. It really is! Assholeness is genderless. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I would agree for the most part.  But I have a hard time seeing it in Jumbo Go Away, because of the violent reaction.  Doesn't seem justified for someone who is annoying and fat.  Easy Meat is annother life on the road commentary, don't find it particularly offensive.  Actually, I have sympathy and a bit of liking for Chrissy in Titties and Beer.  In her own alccholic haze, she seems to have her feet on the ground, strangely enough and is not hallucinating as the male protagonist is apparantly.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:26 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=15#20 date=01/18/05 at 15:35:11]<br>Come on, of course Frank was sexist. So are most men in the world, so I'm certainly not saying there was anything unusual about it. He was right out front with it. It's just plain silly to try to build a case that he wasn't, when his considerable lyric output indicates otherwise. He used women in his songs as primarily sex objects and the butt, so to speak, of sex jokes. Can it be anything other than sexism?<br><br>You are what you is<br>And that's all it is<br>You are what you am<br>A cow don't make ham.<br><br>Frank was sexist and homophobic, and he was also a fuckin' musical genius at a level we likely won't see again in our lifetimes. We don't have to make him into the perfect human. His is what he am.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I would call a sexist someone who believes the other sex is below them. I do not believe Frank considered all women to be below men. It's like calling Frank a racist because he used the word nigger in lyric. <br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:37 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
...Broken Hearts Are For Assholes was a wake up call for me. :D

It was like "Wow, you mean you can say women are assholes, too?! It's not always going to be ALL MY FAULT because I'm a guy...

interesting take...my read was more like: bi guy discovers anal sex with a tranny down at the grape, then realizing he could apply his newfound sport to women, but most women would rather not admit that they dig it up the poop chute [don't fool yerself girl]

...now is that a sexist interpretation or what ¿

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next