Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is this shit?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:13 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=120#126 date=01/22/05 at 16:54:56]I'm submitting this essay on Frank for an eglish assignment (I got all the info from this thread):<br><br>Frank Zappa is a homophobic homosexual sexist racist motherfucker who hates men and women and hates the world and hates you too, yes you he hates all of us but especialy me and you we know this because his lyrics are sexist especialy against women and his lyrics are very supportive of women and he hates mankind and men-kind and he is a man and he hates everyone even you, you tiny brained jack-in-a-box homophobic homo!<br><br>[/quote]<br>It's been a hell of a ride, hasn't it? 8)<br><br>Time for me to find another thread...<br><br>Image<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:24 pm 

[quote author=timmo82 link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=105#112 date=01/22/05 at 10:24:19]<br><br>don't forget Zappa was (partly?) targeting this at a black male's treatment of women, with lyrics like 'She could get down wit de get down' & 'With a bucket on her head, Fulla water from de well'!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Mmmm, I do remember reading something about that at one point, now that you mention it, Timmo.  It only sharpens my appreciation for the song.  One thing that is forgotten about Zappa's songs is that it is dangerous to assume that the main person or the "I" in the song is Zappa himself.  This is something that is usually the norm in most popular and especially love lyrics.  You associate the singer and or musicians with the lyrics of their songs, which makes you identify with those artists and like them more and hence buy their albums.  You cannot assume that with Zappa.  It is true at times and at others he is the silent witness of the insanity around him or is actively making fun of it.  Listen to some of the short songs on Absolutely Free for examples of the third type, like Status Back Baby or America Drinks and Goes Home.  He was making fun of stupid teenagers of both sexes.  I think Big Leg Emma is another example of that kind of song (and it was released as a single at about the same time).  So you cannot nail him with every attitude that is expressed in every song he wrote.<br><br>Earlier today, Deb Daisy said:<br>
Quote:
I consider myself a Fine Girl, who won't settle for anything less than a Fine Boy!<br>It works both ways!
<br>  <br>Deb, I'm with you......where can I get one of those? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:30 pm 

But before I ride out...<br><br>[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=120#128 date=01/22/05 at 17:21:31]I actually think this has been a fun thread, given all the strong feelings people have. Usually, such a thread becomes really nasty and personal. This has largely avoided that, I think.[/quote]<br><br>[center]Same here!<br>Image<br>Cheers, Ronny![/center]<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:07 pm 

OK, I was just in the parking lot, getting ready to leave, when I remembered one last thing...<br><br>"Italians have an organization to `maintain the fiction' that no Italians are in the Mafia, nor do they sell drugs while engaging in murder for hire. If you want to believe that, fine - welcome to Fantasy Land. If you want to believe that wrestling is real, go for it - and if you want to believe that women are a wonderful species that: <br>
  • never goes to the toilet<br>
  • can't possibly do anything wrong<br>
  • is completely superior to men,
<br>then believe it - whatever makes you feel good. - Frank Zappa<br><br><br><br><br>[center]BWAH-HA-HA!!<br>SEEEEEE YAAAAAAAA......<br>Image[/center]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:10 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=135#137 date=01/22/05 at 18:07:21]OK, I was just in the parking lot, getting ready to leave, when I remembered one last thing...<br><br>"Italians have an organization to `maintain the fiction' that no Italians are in the Mafia, nor do they sell drugs while engaging in murder for hire. If you want to believe that, fine - welcome to Fantasy Land. If you want to believe that wrestling is real, go for it - and if you want to believe that women are a wonderful species that: <br>
  • never goes to the toilet<br>
  • can't possibly do anything wrong<br>
  • is completely superior to men,
<br>then believe it - whatever makes you feel good. - Frank Zappa<br><br><br><br><br>[center]BWAH-HA-HA!!<br>SEEEEEE YAAAAAAAA......<br>Image[/center][/quote]<br> ;D

Post subject: re: what is this shit?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:33 pm 

good one dr. n

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:15 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=150#150 date=01/23/05 at 23:58:26]Well, I can agree with one thing....<br><br>Well-named thread.[/quote]<br>Hmmm, Conceptual Continuity...if you wish...<br><br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next