Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:14 am 

I don�t believe that Zappa ever said anything stupid, but if he said, here we can forgive his sins. �::)<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:59 am 

"Drop out of school before your mind rots from exposure to our mediocre educational system. Forget about the senior prom and go to the libary and educate yourself if you’ve got any guts. Some of you like pep rallies and plastic robots who tell you what to read” -- from the liner notes to 'Freak Out'<br><br>I have had some of my own troubles with the (Dutch) educational system in the past and I agree about educating yourself and visiting libraries. But encouraging people to drop out of school is kinda dumb. Here's a nice quote from Arthur Barrow about this:<br><br>"Well, I'm glad you stayed in school." (FZ to me, in response to my saying to him that I never liked the fact that he had encouraged kids to drop out of school in the liner notes to "Freak Out", and that if I had not stayed in school and gone on to get a degree in music, I might not have been able to play his complex compositions.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:55 pm 

I don´t like either the "drop out school"-comments, but the education system is different here than in USA. So I can´t really tell if he´s right about saying such things.  ???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:22 pm 

I don't think that the American public eductation system is entirely at fault for making "plastic robots" out of students.  It's not a good situation out there,  but you have a choice to educate yourself or not, whether or not you are in school.  <br><br>But I must say that since all of Frank and Gail's kids have left school at the minimum required age, at least he backed up his belief.  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:58 am 

<br>[quote author=Klaatu link=board=quotes&num=1035310457&start=0#7 date=10/28/02 at 18:22:01]<br>But I must say that since all of Frank and Gail's kids have left school at the minimum required age, at least he backed up his belief.  <br>[/quote]<br>I wish the Zappas were my parents. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:50 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=0#9 date=10/29/02 at 09:14:28]<br><br>You rather have a dead father??<br>[/quote]<br><br> I wish Frank was alive and the Zappa's were my parents.<br>So there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:27 am 

Well, despite the fact that often FZ's commentaries had very opposite points of view from of mine, he was very articulated "in theory making". <br><br>I don't belive in the "Promisuos" Rap. I think he was roundly wrong in stating that AIDS was a  government planned disease.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:30 am 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=0#8 date=10/29/02 at 06:58:45]<br>I wish the Zappas were my parents. ;)[/quote]<br><br>Well, then, according to the geneticist Mr Green Genes, you woudn't be you:<br><br>YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:46 pm 

He never said that cigarettes were dangerous and he should have. I never heard him say something bad about that. I would be curious to know how many people died of cancer caused by cigarettes versus how many people died of smoking pot. I'm not saying pot is good here. I'm just curious.<br>Hey, a legalization-topic would make a nice topic discussion. Pro or con ?  :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:20 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=15#15 date=11/03/02 at 20:46:11] I would be curious to know how many people died of cancer caused by cigarettes versus how many people died of smoking pot. [/quote] <br><br>There are no reputable statistics on this, because both cigarettes and cannabis are to be smoked and it's hard to conclude if someone got ill because of cigarette smoke or cannabis smoke or both... <br><br>However, research has proven that cannabis smoke contains about 10x as much carcinogenics as cigarette smoke. On the other hand, there are no reports of anyone ever dying of a cannabis overdose.<br><br>
Quote:
Zappa concluded that the dangers of smoking (as opposed to, say, breathing city air) were exaggerated by political anti-tobacco lobbies and other groups, thanks to their financially motivated agendas.
<br><br>Exaggerated? Perhaps, but statistics prove that lifelong smoking decreases life expectancy by about 5 to 8 years. I smoked a pack a day for about eight years, only quit smoking a year ago and I think people should decide for themselves if they want to smoke or not, but it is bad for your health.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:20 pm 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=15#20 date=11/04/02 at 13:57:59]<br>Statistics? Hmmmm. Well, those made by the Tobacco Institute say that smoking's not bad for you, and statistics made by anti-tobacco groups state that it's the most deadly thing in the world. [/quote]<br><br>I agree with you that institutions like pro- and anti-Tobacco leagues are prone to use the statistics that suit their own agenda. But there is so much evidence proving that smoking is bad, not just statistics but also medical reports and objective scientific research, that even the Tobacco industry can't afford to claim any longer that smoking is not bad for your own health.<br><br>
Quote:
BUT, STRESS is the number-one killer -- that's mostly undisputed. Smoking takes away stress.
<br>A myth. Smoking only takes away the stress caused by being deprived of nicotine for a longer period. <br><br>
Quote:
I find that ex-smokers who have quit are those who most loudly tell others how bad it is for them. The reason? Jealousy.
<br><br>I don't know if this was aimed at me, because I claimed to have quit smoking a year ago, but I don't want to deprive anyone of their cigarettes. If you or anyone else wants to smoke, go ahead, do as you please. <br><br>I also don't care if Frank supported the use of cigarettes. In my opinion, above all he was pro- free choice, and I agree with him: if anyone wants to smoke, go right ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:15 pm 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=0#0 date=10/22/02 at 10:14:17]I don´t believe that Zappa ever said anything stupid, but if he said, here we can forgive his sins.  ::)<br>[/quote]<br><br>I don't think he ever said a single stupid thing, and that includes "arf."<br><br>BF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next