Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:22 am 

qotd, part 2

You can sit around and noodle on your guitar but it's the instant challenge of going against the laws of physics and the laws of gravity and going on stage and playing something nobody ever heard before. And nobody would dare to play. That's what I like to do. That's ... I mean, that's sex. It's better than sex. That takes you into a realm of science.
- 1981 ..from same interview..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:40 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Two of my favourite quotes, making a lot of sense to me as a parent, and no doubt other parents here too...

"The first thing you have to do if you want to raise nice kids, is you have to talk to them like they are people instead of talking to them like they're property"
Source: Frank Zappa on Howard Stern - 1987

and

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is, Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can".

I have that Howard Stern recording, it's good, but after Frank's main interview he doesn't say much and we are left with the hideous voice of 'Bobcat Goldthwait.' Someone told me he's a comedian, I don't think I could stand listening to 'that' for more than five minutes, regardless of how good a comedian he is.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am 

''Look, the thing about people saying whether something is shit or it's wonderful is irrelevant to the thing being discussed. Because whatever you think is wonderful I may think is shit, and vice versa. And neither one of our opinions matters, because of the thing that's being discussed – it exists because of whatever it is, you know. We are not really called upon to make these pronouncements on its value.''

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:56 am 

Crudblud wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Two of my favourite quotes, making a lot of sense to me as a parent, and no doubt other parents here too...

"The first thing you have to do if you want to raise nice kids, is you have to talk to them like they are people instead of talking to them like they're property"
Source: Frank Zappa on Howard Stern - 1987

and

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is, Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can".

I have that Howard Stern recording, it's good, but after Frank's main interview he doesn't say much and we are left with the hideous voice of 'Bobcat Goldthwait.' Someone told me he's a comedian, I don't think I could stand listening to 'that' for more than five minutes, regardless of how good a comedian he is.

Then you definitely don't want to buy "Meat Bob", Bobcat Goldthwait's standup comedy album. :wink:

I have it and I like it. My favorite moment is when he's drinking a can of Tab cola and quips, "This is like drinking a battery. There's so many chemicals in a can of Tab. They can't even fit all the ingredients on the side here, it just says, 'see other can'."" :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:50 pm 

So it is not impossible that at the point where the electro-chemical process that's motivating the bag of shit ceases to be strong enough to make that bag of shit move around, that energy may be exchanged, and may dissipate and have an existence of its own without the bag of shit. I wouldn't want to extrapolate that into the world of ghosts and goblins...

[on the context of afterlife...]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:34 pm 

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? Who wins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:23 pm 
Banned

Here's a quote from Big Larry's FZ interview, regarding his fans:

"You think it's not fun to stand up there and be in a room with thousands of people who came there because they like you? That they're your friend? That's pretty spectacular, and I would do anything for them, except eat shit on stage"

He loved us, he really loved us.
:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:43 am 

Something's gotta be done before America scarfs up the world and shits on it.
FZ - 1967

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:25 am 

The school system that is costing so much is not delivering the goods. I think one of the reasons it doesn't deliver the goods is that it's ideologically more appealing to the right-wing elements in this country to create a nation of stupid people who are dumb enough to swallow their rhetoric so those right-wing elements can run an election campaign which is not based on facts and figures, but on bunting and sound bites that don't really tell you anything. You need a docile, stupid electorate in order for a person to be elected. And how do you keep them that way? You starve the educational system so that it doesn't really work. You control the content of the school books which are used in the educational system. You rewrite history to suit your ideology.

--FZ, 1989

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:15 am 

The people who are awake at night are my kind of people. The animals that are awake at night are the better animals: owls, raccoons, bats, the insects that don't want to show off. The ones with the bright colors have to go out in the daytime to get their money's worth, but the nighttime is natural for the drab, beetle-like, slug-like, monastic kinds of life forms. Superior life forms, like silverfish.

FZ - 1992

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:41 am 
Banned

In Baby Snakes, to Bruce Bickford:
"You and Me, Bruce, entertainment all the way" :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:43 am 
Banned

"Tell Gary "Trendmonger" Titone that I'm not here."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:28 am 
Banned

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

LMFAO!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:07 am 

A goodie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:20 am 

We can always count on you for good comedy Jimmie!

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:43 pm 

I'm interested in melodies and it's the one thing I find lacking in most of the music today. The construction of melody is a specialized art form. I know a lot of people who can write and arrange but don't pay too much attention to where the melody is. It's a big challenge to write a melody. That's why people who can improvise well against chord changes are so unique because that's a challenge met instantaneously. When all you're presented with is the harmonics skeleton, your challenge is to create a personalized melody against that set of chord changes, it's a very impressive feat.

FZ, 1973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:25 am 

'
"Just because I might not see some things the way you people see them, don't mean I'm cross-eyed."
---------Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Sept.17/77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:10 pm 

Quote:
Something's gotta be done before America scarfs up the world and shits on it.
FZ - 1967

Frank's follow-up to that was even better Green Genes! He was at a university and he screened Burnt Weeny Sandwich, and afterwards a student said "You once said someone has to do something before America shits all over the whole world. what are you doing about this?"

his response: "I'm not sitting with my finger up the asshole"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:10 pm 
Banned

Do you really want to see a country like the United States converted into nothing more than a nation of drones, getting up, going to their miserable little jobs, producing odd products that that nobody wants to buy, and then coming home and watching television? Is That-I mean, there has to be more to life than just going to work and then wallowing in the garbage that you created while you were at work"-Frank Zappa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:12 pm 

"A real religious feeling transcends the brand of the religion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:05 am 

FZ: Lemme tell you something, you've heard all the records, you've read all the stuff about us. You've seen the band play a few times. You've interviewed me 3 or 4 times, but you don't know nothin'. The only way you could know what this is about would be if you'd been around for the whole thing.

Charles Shaar Murray: But Frank, no-one's been around for the whole thing except you.''

(beaming like a professor would at a slow pupil cottoning on)
FZ: Ri--i--i--ight!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 pm 

My theory is that music is good, it's the only religion that delivers the goods. And anybody who wants to hear any kind of music is entitled to hear that music because it's good for you – it makes you feel good. If you like it, go for it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anything – it's a matter of personal taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:51 pm 

"Hey Gail, where's the fucking sausage pizza I ordered? Wasn't that like half an hour ago? Oh there's the doorbell. That's probably it." FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:52 am 

I saw that somewhere else earlier today:

"Americans like to talk about (or be told about) Democracy but when put to the test, usually find it to be an inconvenience. We have opted instead for an Authoritarian system disguised as a Democracy. We pay through the nose for an enormous joke-of-a-government, let it push us around, and then wonder how all those assholes got in there." - FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:49 am 

One of the problems with the world in which we live is that people have become accustomed to lies upon lies upon lies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next