Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:37 am 

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2001/dweezil_int.asp

I know this is old shit, but it's still worth talking about. So the main reason DZ didn't do anything musically in the mid/late '90s was because "instrumental technical guitar rock" wasn't mainstream/popular anymore?

That was such a lame copout. Look at someone like Buckethead. No matter what the "flavor of the month" was in rock, he just kept doing his own thing, collaborating w/ other excellent musicians, making countless albums and building a fanbase. I'm sure many nights he played clubs to less than 100 people and played full on.

I love hearing serious guitar players wine that Nirvana and similar bands killed their buzz. Waahhhh. :roll: And that comment about Corgan. I'm no fan of Smashing Pumpkins, but the album "Siamese Dream" has better guitar solos than anything on the last three Van Halen albums. Sometimes LESS is BETTER.

I hope this ZPZ tour is a success and the fans get their money's worth, but when it's all over and done with, what's next? I can't see Dweezil going out and touring relentlessly playing his own music. Not hungry and doesn't need the money.

"I saw Steve Vai play with Frank Zappa in the early '80s. He was fucking amazing but he's playing exactly what Frank wants him to play. Put him in that situation and he will bury you. If you ask him to write you an album, I mean Kurt Cobain would have buried his ass" - Buzz Osborne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:57 am 

You're not going to sell millions of records and burn up the charts with instrumental guitar music nowadays, but you're right... that never stopped Buckethead, Shawn Lane, Dave Fiuczynski, Nels Cline, etc. etc. from putting out those kind of albums and actually making a (modest?) living at it. It's just a lack of effort. Putting out albums of good music can be worthwhile, even if you don't sell millions of copies or get your face on the cover of Guitar World every month.

Personally, I've never really liked most 'shred music' from the Eighties anyway. Yeah, from a technique point of view it's great, but lots of that stuff gets boring fast, it's just playing scales up and down the fretboard as fast as you can without a lot of interesting harmonic and melodic content. Personally, I'd rather listen to Neil Young playing guitar than Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo. I like instrumental music too, but I'm more of a jazz/fusion guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:24 am 

Studebaker wrote:
You're not going to sell millions of records and burn up the charts with instrumental guitar music nowadays, but you're right... that never stopped Buckethead, Shawn Lane, Dave Fiuczynski, Nels Cline, etc. etc. from putting out those kind of albums and actually making a (modest?) living at it. It's just a lack of effort. Putting out albums of good music can be worthwhile, even if you don't sell millions of copies or get your face on the cover of Guitar World every month.

Personally, I've never really liked most 'shred music' from the Eighties anyway. Yeah, from a technique point of view it's great, but lots of that stuff gets boring fast, it's just playing scales up and down the fretboard as fast as you can without a lot of interesting harmonic and melodic content. Personally, I'd rather listen to Neil Young playing guitar than Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo. I like instrumental music too, but I'm more of a jazz/fusion guy.

Great point's here stude.
I hate that "shred" kinda music from the 80's myself. It does get real boring real fast. I think its safe for me to say the ONLY "shredder" that I like is uncle Frank. I do however respect those kinda guitarests though as musician's, I mean c'mon way better player than I am by far, but to me shit like that is easily forgottin. I feel less is way more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:53 am 

Zappa only shreds when neccessary, though. It's not the only thing in his bag o' tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:13 pm 

FeralCats wrote:
Zappa only shreds when neccessary, though. It's not the only thing in his bag o' tricks.
cool fact feral.
btw a bit of dweezil.http://amdlive.amd.com/music/vid_zappa.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:46 pm 

Quote:
cool fact feral.

...Sarcasm....?

If you listen to his solos in comparison with Malmsteen, you'll see that Zappa's solo's have much more structure, more melody, and more the sense of an actual musical product. When he plays fast little notes, it's not to be difficult-it fits in with the music in a beautiful way. Alternativley, Malmsteen seems like he has no idea what else to do.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:58 pm 

At anyrate, I'm not familiar with Dweezil's own music. I'd rather finish his father's albums off first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:15 am 

Quote:
cool fact feral.

...Sarcasm....?

where is the sarcasm??
because i agreed with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:00 pm 

Great post Fred Zappelin, I agree with everything you said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:07 pm 

cleon wrote:
Quote:
cool fact feral.

...Sarcasm....?

where is the sarcasm??
because i agreed with you.

Well, I mean to say my original statement-
Quote:

I sort of stated that as fact, when It wasn't REALLY so. It seems to me self-evident that Zappa didn't just shred to show off and fill up space, but many disagree with me. Most people hate his 'guitar pyrotechnics' from the 80's bands. So I thought maybe you agree, sarcasticly stating that it was a 'cool fact'.

I'm sleepy.