Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 am 

aside from numerous shoes to the head
and being sqwarshed against barricades and people...
i blew out my knee at a christian death metal show.

you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:01 am 

At an AC/DC gig back in the early 80s...
I was aware that Angus might do a 'walkabout'. So when the crowd in front of me parted, I assumed the two feet hurtling towards my chest was the beshorted diminutive antipodean.
No. It was a stage crasher escaping the bouncers, smashing me to the floor.

At a Tool gig in the late 90s...
After attempting to crowd surf and being dropped to the floor, I scuttled to the rear of the crowd to recover. Next, a drum stick hits me in the face. No injury, until I grab it and shove it down my underpants, whereupon I was dealt many blows to the goolies whilst protecting my prize.

TT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:22 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
...at a christian death metal show.

you?

Christian Death Metal, hahahaha... I ran sound for a metal fest in the early 90s. Something like 14 bands in 10 hours or whatnot. One of them was Christian Metal. They were giving out free cassettes by tossing them in the audience. The audience threw them back and did not want to hear any Christian Death Metal.
The biggest draw that night was Bodybag. There was a chain fence in front of the stage, which Bodybag's fans tore apart, then got thrown out. At least they waited til near the end of the set.
Apparently, there is proof that they existed...
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Body_Bag/4178

Do people mosh like years ago? In the early 80s, there was a lot of moshing. Then over the years, venues cracked down, and now if I see people mosh, its sorta in a swirling bumper car way, not the aggressive ways of years ago. Maybe that's better, I dunno, as I haven't moshed in a long time and don't intend to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:37 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Christian Death Metal, hahahaha... I ran sound for a metal fest in the early 90s. Something like 14 bands in 10 hours or whatnot. One of them was Christian Metal.

yeah, that's exactly what this was. some metal fest thing.
mostly kids. screaming. and feeding back. and thinking they were being slick drinking beer in the parking lot.
i knew nothing about any of the bands, but it was... something.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Do people mosh like years ago?

i really have no idea
and this is probably "outdated" and over with by now, but... WOW-WEE:
damn it, i couldn't find the clip and i can't hadle watching this stuff, but
have you seen that thing where they just stand in one place doing kicks and swinging their arms?

yeah. like i said
WOW
WEE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am 

Got drunk as Hell at a ZZ Top concert at the Cow Palace (I think). Little blonde chick from Kits Camera agreed to be my date. She was actually quite impressed with my 1970 Dodge Monaco 500.

Attachment:
70monacobyfdsimon_2.jpg

(Nah, mine was gold with black vinyl, and that's not a 500)

Anyway I got way fuckered up and she went down to the mosh pit to get some cocaine. I went with her, and she wound up on my shoulders for nearly the rest of the show. Made it back to her place somehow that night but did not get laid. Next day, I was so fucking sore I could barely walk.

Ah memories...

Elvis Costello and the Impostors circa 2005 at the Pageant in St. Louis. They were serving beer, so it's not my fault. I got heavily snockered began yelling worship at Elvis and dancing furiously in the balcony. I stepped on the guys toes in the seat next to me, and when he complained I explained that it was a rock and roll show and asked if he knew where he was. A short time later I grabbed my girlfriend and stepped into the aisle to dance with her, which lasted about a minute before little blonde security guards stepped in to end it and threaten me with arrest if I didn't sit the fuck back down.

Bitches!

After the show, when I was just stepping out of my seat, a young lady came over and said that guy on stage was pretty good but I was the real show. She said no, really...but I thought she was just being a smart-ass because everyone in St. Louis is. She injured my mind, however, and I rarely drink anymore.

Attachment:
GetAttachment.jpg

Hands down, though...that was the best rock and roll show I had ever seen, drunk or not, and I've seen the Rolling Stones, Santana, The Police, David Bowie, and even Jerry Lee Lewis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:31 pm 

September, 1972
Varsity Stadium, Toronto
Alice Cooper, "School's Out" tour.
Beer bottle to the back of the head.
Neither got broken.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:42 pm 

None. People are respectful of each other at Osmond and Carpenters concerts.

But seriously, no, no injuries. I thought the building might have to be evacuated at the Dream Theater show in KC when a raging fire started in one of the amps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:43 pm 

I think I had a paper cut when I went to see the Russian Piano Trio playing Dvořák and Chaikovsky in Vught. Taught me a wise lesson about turning pages when it's dark.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:38 pm 

I was at a CSN concert with my brother in the early 80's and we decided to leave during the encore. It was an amphitheater, and we left our seats and were walking up the center aisle steps toward the back. I started stumbling up the steps and got in this really bad rhythm and couldn't stop stumbling. Eventually, I tripped and fell flat on my face. My brother was behind me and just laughing.

Then, you had to walk down this long road to get to the back parking lot (it's the PNC Arts Center in NJ, in case anyone's familiar with it). Well, a lot of people decided to cut through the woods as a more direct route to the p-lot. We decided to try this as well, but got separated from the crowd and walked through this woods in pitch blackness, walking directly into tree branches, falling into holes, etc., before we made it out after what seemed like an eternity. I got several scrapes, cuts, and bruises from the walk.

That's about it. Great thread!

As an aside, I once had a 5th row dead center seat at a Jethro Tull concert and sat next to these two guys who were drunk off their asses, passed out cold before the show started, remained unconscious throughout the entire 2 hour concert, and finally woke up when the house lights came on after the show had ended.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:59 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
I started stumbling up the steps and got in this really bad rhythm and couldn't stop stumbling.

thank you for this, siaj.
it brought on my morning LOLs - bigtime.

some great stuff going on in this thread all around.
and speaking of great, did i manage to (somehow - someway)
become removed from someone's ignore list!?!?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:38 am 

Got hit by one of the hundreds of metal chairs that were thrown on the stage at a Joe Cocker concert in the early 70'. After and hour and half of the opening act that sucked big time, we waited an hour for Joe to come out. When he did he grabbed the mic said "garabaarkldkfjqgurderss" and fell uncounscious to the floor. As the roadies carried him off, the chairs began to fly.

Was the last time they used metal chairs at the venue (a hockey rink).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:57 am 

Poked in the Eye Pogo dancing Uk Subs gig at Caerphilly.
Fell down the stairs of lots of Pubs,Clubs,Concert Halls :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:39 am 

Not exactly at the concert, but at a festival after the last band had played. I met some people to party and drink a little bit. I wanted to sit down on the floor, and there was a broken bottle from which I got a deep cut in my thumb. Luckily I had a diary at that moment and could save that memory for eternity:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm 

Do mental injuries count? if so, I bet this thread will be 30 pages long.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:34 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
I was at a CSN concert with my brother in the early 80's and we decided to leave during the encore. It was an amphitheater, and we left our seats and were walking up the center aisle steps toward the back. I started stumbling up the steps and got in this really bad rhythm and couldn't stop stumbling. Eventually, I tripped and fell flat on my face. My brother was behind me and just laughing.

Then, you had to walk down this long road to get to the back parking lot (it's the PNC Arts Center in NJ, in case anyone's familiar with it). Well, a lot of people decided to cut through the woods as a more direct route to the p-lot. We decided to try this as well, but got separated from the crowd and walked through this woods in pitch blackness, walking directly into tree branches, falling into holes, etc., before we made it out after what seemed like an eternity. I got several scrapes, cuts, and bruises from the walk.

That's about it. Great thread!

As an aside, I once had a 5th row dead center seat at a Jethro Tull concert and sat next to these two guys who were drunk off their asses, passed out cold before the show started, remained unconscious throughout the entire 2 hour concert, and finally woke up when the house lights came on after the show had ended.

ROTF! :mrgreen:

I can't decide which of the two stories is funnier.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
ROTF! :mrgreen:

I can't decide which of the two stories is funnier.

My brother still brings it up to this day. :mrgreen:

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:34 pm 

Annie Hall on the boob tube right now:

Shelly Duvall:
"I was at The Stones concert In Altamont where they killed that guy."

Woody:
"I was at an Alice Cooper Concert where 6 people were rushed to the hospital for bad vibes."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:22 am 

Loss of hearing and brain cells, mostly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:10 pm 

I've got pretty bad athletes foot right now after a weekend at a festival.
TT