Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 352  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3142
ouch!
"now you've gone and hurt yerself", don't do that bbp!
there's got to be somethin yer not getting done while awake . . .
of course, haven't finished the novel "How To Count Sheep Without Getting Trod Underfoot: A Thousand Boring Tales of Droning Banality"
:)

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3142
edyrukidng wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:
printing what?
I'm looking into printing a regular magazine, for instance,


well, this new place I'm starting at are doing mostly digital print.
brochures, folders, posters... things like that. smaller runs.

and also graphic design.

I don't think they print magazines, but I can look into it, if you'd like?


interesting work,, I used to be a press operator in the Flexographic package printing industry for about 27 years ( so was Pedro 1 ),, just about anything you've ever bought that was wrapped up in some sort of packaging, I've probably printed,,

and then, the packaging ends up in the garbage,,


I've worked with big die cutting and industrial printing machines, as well as cardboard production, and plastics extrusion, all told about five years and all for the purpose of 'point-of-purchase' marketing of products. The stuff at the cash register that holds that stuff? the racks that hold greeting cards? and knick knack shelfs at stores. stand-alone cardboard merch holders with a giant cardboard garfield on top? zillions of em. that's what we did.


You guys worked how big pressings? like 20 5"x8" sheets are something?
I dunno, I'm guessing from what you say package printing.

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5413
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
Imagined prerforming the ol' "in-out in-out" (horizontal bop, tubesnake boogie) with the new girl at work. :wink:

_________________
*********************************************************************

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18928
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
I just buggered off work early, and drove home in a blinding snow storm. Got here , slowly, in one undamaged piece, through about 4 inches of snow on the roads. No way I was waiting 'til 5pm and rush hour. Freezing rain is supposed to start in another hour.
Since printing has become part of this thread, I'll mention that from 1973 to 2004 I was a film stripper at 2 consecutive printing plants. Then computers finally killed off my trade, so now I do cost estimating. (with all that seniority it was cheaper to re-train me than let me go!)

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 976
Location: Austin
Went to get blood work done and the doctor's office looked like Iraq so I changed my appointment and RAN to my car before the sludge got me infected.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Posts: 703
Location: next door
punknaynowned wrote:
edyrukidng wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:
printing what?
I'm looking into printing a regular magazine, for instance,


well, this new place I'm starting at are doing mostly digital print.
brochures, folders, posters... things like that. smaller runs.

and also graphic design.

I don't think they print magazines, but I can look into it, if you'd like?


interesting work,, I used to be a press operator in the Flexographic package printing industry for about 27 years ( so was Pedro 1 ),, just about anything you've ever bought that was wrapped up in some sort of packaging, I've probably printed,,

and then, the packaging ends up in the garbage,,


I've worked with big die cutting and industrial printing machines, as well as cardboard production, and plastics extrusion, all told about five years and all for the purpose of 'point-of-purchase' marketing of products. The stuff at the cash register that holds that stuff? the racks that hold greeting cards? and knick knack shelfs at stores. stand-alone cardboard merch holders with a giant cardboard garfield on top? zillions of em. that's what we did.


You guys worked how big pressings? like 20 5"x8" sheets are something?
I dunno, I'm guessing from what you say package printing.


we didn't print sheets,, we printed a web,,,,

Image

_________________
Image
if you knew suzie, like I know suzie, oh, oh, oh what a creamcheese,,,,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3142
yeah, we had some of those, but the ones we used looked ... older.

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:21 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
.....completed yet another trip around the sun.

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
when and bought a keyboard.stopped my pc from freeze n :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

must and been the blimp burns.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:51 am
Posts: 1862
Location: Scotland
I went into Edinburgh city centre and bought me one of these

Image

So now i can listen to both Zappa DVD-Audio discs in all their full splendour. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
Met with a Realtor for initial discussions on possibly selling my house and moving to another house. Also, today I broke my personal record for consecutive days staying alive (13,743).

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 7813
Location: Underneath Virginia
I died. :wink: :mrgreen:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

_________________
I want dis little pussy
Baby wants some o' dis
And some o' dat
Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat


Jimmie D Fan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5775
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
I farted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am
Posts: 5237
Location: Rhineland
I wallpapered the guest loo.

_________________
What's the ugliest part of your body ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 141
i waited...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5413
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
Isaac wrote:
I died. :wink: :mrgreen:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]


Dying is on my to do list.

Today I avoided work since there was an awesome ice storm that made driving not worth the risk of getting stuck. Thousands of area homes are without electricity.

Then took a generator over to a friend who lost power in the night.

Last but least: work on my resume'

_________________
*********************************************************************

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3142
just plain doug wrote:
I just buggered off work early, and drove home in a blinding snow storm. Got here , slowly, in one undamaged piece, through about 4 inches of snow on the roads. No way I was waiting 'til 5pm and rush hour. Freezing rain is supposed to start in another hour.
Since printing has become part of this thread, I'll mention that from 1973 to 2004 I was a film stripper at 2 consecutive printing plants. Then computers finally killed off my trade, so now I do cost estimating. (with all that seniority it was cheaper to re-train me than let me go!)


LOL
film stripping?
vas is dat?

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3142
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
.....completed yet another trip around the sun.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jimmie D!!


















sorry I'm late!

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18928
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
punknaynowned wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
I just buggered off work early, and drove home in a blinding snow storm. Got here , slowly, in one undamaged piece, through about 4 inches of snow on the roads. No way I was waiting 'til 5pm and rush hour. Freezing rain is supposed to start in another hour.
Since printing has become part of this thread, I'll mention that from 1973 to 2004 I was a film stripper at 2 consecutive printing plants. Then computers finally killed off my trade, so now I do cost estimating. (with all that seniority it was cheaper to re-train me than let me go!)


LOL
film stripping?
vas is dat?


To achieve full colour in offset printing, 4 colours are laid one on the other in varying densities. Each of the four colours (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) is shot as a piece of film. Film stripping is sticking these negatives on four seperate bits of mylar (clear plastic) so that they line up exactly (so it doesn't look blurry when they print over each other). Plus lots of other stuff to create a finished page, poster, box whatever.
The only job I ever had that was actually fun!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 976
Location: Austin
I watched Frank on a skit with coneheads.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: the printing thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
just plain doug wrote:
Since printing has become part of this thread, I'll mention that from 1973 to 2004 I was a film stripper at 2 consecutive printing plants. Then computers finally killed off my trade, so now I do cost estimating. (with all that seniority it was cheaper to re-train me than let me go!)

punknaynowned wrote:
LOL
film stripping?
vas is dat?

just plain doug wrote:
To achieve full colour in offset printing, 4 colours are laid one on the other in varying densities. Each of the four colours (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) is shot as a piece of film. Film stripping is sticking these negatives on four seperate bits of mylar (clear plastic) so that they line up exactly (so it doesn't look blurry when they print over each other). Plus lots of other stuff to create a finished page, poster, box whatever.
The only job I ever had that was actually fun!


and a fine old profession it is too! 8)
I was only taught the basics of film stripping back in 1994, before I was given a mac and a scanner and was told to "get on with it..." and start ripping (instead of stripping...).
I worked for that company until 2002, and by then they only had one guy left who did film stripping, and the last company I worked for got computer-to-plate two years ago.

the new place I started at yesterday is all digital too.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the printing thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18928
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
and a fine old profession it is too!
I was only taught the basics of film stripping back in 1994, before I was given a mac and a scanner and was told to "get on with it..." and start ripping (instead of stripping...).
I worked for that company until 2002, and by then they only had one guy left who did film stripping, and the last company I worked for got computer-to-plate two years ago.

the new place I started at yesterday is all digital too.


Yup, gotta love a society based on having a job, to make money, to buy Zappa albums, which insists on developing technology to replace 8 strippers and 3 plate makers with 3 desktop people, 1 platemaker and 1 stripper/platemaker. The reason I bought my first computer was to learn desktop before the fat lady sang. That part didn't work out, but that's how I discovered the internet, the Zappa website, and, eventually, this forum.
(not to mention I get to snaggle all that Adobe stuff for my home computer, for free.)

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the printing thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
just plain doug wrote:
(not to mention I get to snaggle all that Adobe stuff for my home computer, for free.)


yeah, that's a nice perk. 8)

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:00 am
Posts: 1747
Today I was hit in the head with a volleyball.

Its more contact with the ball than I normally get... :P I can't believe I'm still required to take gym class.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:28 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
punknaynowned wrote:
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
.....completed yet another trip around the sun.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jimmie D!!

sorry I'm late!

Thanks, Punky - I was wondering whether anyone would figure it out. I completed yet another trip around the sun on March 1. I hear that these days the 50s are the new 30s.

Hey, girls! I may be too old for you, but you're not too young for me!


8)

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 352  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group