Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 340  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:57 pm 

Went to the Port Dover Friday the 13th rally today. Never been before. Don't know that I'll go again. But now I can say that I went, if that's really important.

For one day the town shuts down access to 4 wheel transport and gives it over to thousands of bikers. Apparently about 140 thousand of the dirty fuckers and 50 thousand of their bikes. Well actually, they sell it to thousands of bikers: the fleecing starts as soon as they hit town via a battalion of mobile deep fryers, endless concession stands, beer patios and parking. It was an experience but, to be honest, I couldn't wait to get back on my bike and ride out of town. Unfortunately, about 5000 other people had the same idea at roughly the same time. A tip of the helmet though, to the local law enforcement ocelots for an excellent job in traffic and crowd control. They dealt with a truly significant traffic problem effectively yet managed to not be an oppressive presence. An increasingly rare occurrence these days.

I took a few photos but they really don't do justice to the sheer volume of people and bikes. I'm not sorry that I didn't have the camera out when the geriatric biker with the sun cured hide, a green sequined g-string and not much else happened by so you'll have to abuse your imagination for that image. I, on the other hand, may require therapy.

All the many side streets looked like this.

The main streets were a sea of people, parked bikes and people on bikes looking to park.

People brought their pets...

Bikers went to the beach...

Brought their toys for show-and-tell...

There were many examples of extreme customisation...

The Russians made an appearance...

And I got on my bike and skedaddled...

Miasma!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:27 am 

It looks like the Canadian equivalent of our Sturgis motorcycle rally:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:19 am 

woke up in crema (close to milan).
worked in naples at san carlo opera house.
slept in varese (not edgar...).

living in such a small country...that's not bad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:23 pm 

Very cool, Sam I Am. Seems to be a great event.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:49 pm 

It was pretty cool, if somewhat over-everything. I was glad to get out, although it took about 45 minutes in the high 30's (around 97 Fahrenheit) of stop & go congestion before we got far enough out so that we could get up some speed and shed some serious heat. And then my buddy's gps hijacked us to Woodstock for no immediately discernible reason; until we ran into a hail storm, a 10 degree temperature drop and a series of violent thunderstorms. Fucking thank you very much Environment Canada and ditto friends' antique gps unit. Nothing quite like a fresh sunburn pelted with ice pellets at 120 km/hr (about 75 mph).

Miasma!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:40 am 

Sam I Am wrote:
It was pretty cool, if somewhat over-everything. I was glad to get out, although it took about 45 minutes in the high 30's (around 97 Fahrenheit) of stop & go congestion before we got far enough out so that we could get up some speed and shed some serious heat. And then my buddy's gps hijacked us to Woodstock for no immediately discernible reason; until we ran into a hail storm, a 10 degree temperature drop and a series of violent thunderstorms. Fucking thank you very much Environment Canada and ditto friends' antique gps unit. Nothing quite like a fresh sunburn pelted with ice pellets at 120 km/hr (about 75 mph).

Maybe it's just you? I saw a few dark clouds in the distance, but it was dry and sunny all day, here in town. Funny, though. Yesterday Weather Channel showed film of heavy rain in Waterloo, yet, again, dry and sunny all day here.
On second thought...maybe it's me?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:56 am 

Looks like a fun day Sam, living in a country where we too can have four seasons in one day motorcycling is for enthusiasts and masochists only. In my youth I was, like my father before me, what we call in NZ a bikie (biker in the US/Canadian parlance) and have owned an assortment of motorcycles, largely british and italian, with the occasional japanese machine for the off road antics. In the late 70's I was given a russian 250cc Vostok, that bike would run like a dream if you were going to and from work, however if you were undertaking any type of recreational pursuit, it wouldn't start, no matter what. You could be on the way to work and decide to play hooky, the bike would breakdown for no apparent reason...a truly communist motorcycle. I eventually donated it to a transport museum. As I am now what is known as old, I own a rather sedate but very noisy 1956 350cc Matchless to occasionally wake the neighbours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:10 am 

Feeling miserable today, but here's what I did yesterday...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTp6sNBl85c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 pm 

BBP wrote:
Feeling miserable today, but here's what I did yesterday...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTp6sNBl85c

Hope you feel better Bonny. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 am 

Got back from France today :cry:. Everybody agreed it was the best holiday yet, but too short.
Ate frog's legs (my youngest son loved 'em), saw beautiful churches , cathedrals, bastide towns and swam in lakes, swimming pools and rivers. Laughed lots with the family.
Amazed by the fact that the French can still offer you a three course menu (salad, then mussels with fries, then an eclair, then coffee, plus a 1/4 of a liter of red wine, plus water, plus all the bread you can eat) for 12 fucking euros. And, although they didn't sell cigarettes, the waiter offered me one of his own. And they refuse to be tipped.
Despite Napoleon (Bonaparte, not Murphy Brock) I love the French - if only my French were better...

Hope you cheer up soon, Bonny!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 am 

Caputh wrote:
Got back from France today :cry:. Everybody agreed it was the best holiday yet, but too short.
Ate frog's legs (my youngest son loved 'em), saw beautiful churches , cathedrals, bastide towns and swam in lakes, swimming pools and rivers. Laughed lots with the family.
Amazed by the fact that the French can still offer you a three course menu (salad, then mussels with fries, then an eclair, then coffee, plus a 1/4 of a liter of red wine, plus water, plus all the bread you can eat) for 12 fucking euros. And, although they didn't sell cigarettes, the waiter offered me one of his own. And they refuse to be tipped.
Despite Napoleon (Bonaparte, not Murphy Brock) I love the French - if only my French were better...

Good for you my friend, although sad for you we are glad to have you back...safe... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am 

Plook wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Good for you my friend, although sad for you we are glad to have you back...safe... :smoke:

Thanks, Plook! You're right, though - German freeways (half of my journey) are pretty suicidal. Cars, mostly driven by men with tiny penises, suddenly appear behind you, travelling at 180 mph, blinking their lights madly and wishing to overtake, because you're only doing a piddling 100 mph. There is no speed limit in Germany. I've learned to just move out the way and hope they don't kill themselves and cause a traffic jam.
Because a) France has a smallish population and is comparitively big and b) they make you pay to use the freeway, the only danger of an accident is if you fall asleep.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Plook wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Thanks, Plook! You're right, though - German freeways (half of my journey) are pretty suicidal. Cars, mostly driven by men with tiny penises, suddenly appear behind you, travelling at 180 mph, blinking their lights madly and wishing to overtake, because you're only doing a piddling 100 mph. There is no speed limit in Germany. I've learned to just move out the way and hope they don't kill themselves and cause a traffic jam.
Because a) France has a smallish population and is comparitively big and b) they make you pay to use the freeway, the only danger of an accident is if you fall asleep.

I must confess I would be driving fast and flashing my lights, but when I passed you my ample penis would be hanging out the window flapping in the breeze... :mrgreen:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:35 pm 

Well, my father had an accident in France, and that wasn't the time he fell asleep. According to him, it's worth the experience for the nurses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:57 pm 

BBP wrote:
Well, my father had an accident in France, and that wasn't the time he fell asleep. According to him, it's worth the experience for the nurses.

That's cool Bonny,it sounds like you have a sprite young-thinking father who's obviously still enjoying the opposite sex or the feminine mystique if you will. 8)

I am waiting....ting ting,
I am waiting.
Waiting for someone to come out of somewhere.
I am waiting....ting ting,
I am waiting.
Last night I saw The GrandMothers of Invention,
They sang a song about Penis Dimension.
We had fun with audience participation,
On DZW this is something you shouldn't mention.
Unless you want a discourse from a flake named Gary,
He thinks he's the ZFT's majic fairy.
When they sang Carolina Hardcore Exctasy
I could picture Gary on his knees.
He thinks he knows FZ's intent,
Doesn't have a clue,doesn't have a hint.

The moral of the story,the crux of the song,
Anyone that plays FZ's music,isn't always wrong.

They were there when it was created and FZ would of been proud of them.Hell,he trained them and it showed.Great show!

BTW: Thanx for the heads up PIB,great show.Sold out! Got to talk with Tom,Don and NMB,it's like they never changed with age.DP is 82 rockin' years old.Me and another forum member *played* with the GrandMothers,on one of Don's new keyboard device's (his toy) and we even got applause for our efforts.Pretty cool.NMB hasn't slowed down a bit,best frontman ever! Full of himself,but in a cool and funny way.Instead of banter between FZ and NMB,it was NMB and Don trading jabs and jokes.If you where a Zappfreak you knew what they were talking about.Hilarious routines and for 5 guys they sounded like 20.The music was fantastic,if I had the money I would have gone to the next show tonight.Long freaking drive,but well worth it.Just like DZpZ is.

It's all good! {-

for the opening ceromonies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:51 pm 

BBP wrote:

Oh, it's definitely possible to have an accident in France, particularly on any freeway that is going to Paris, as they're a lot fuller. It's just that I don't have to use those freeways and on the ones I do use other cars are few and far between.
The French also have an interesting driving style; many only use their indicators to show that they wish to remain in the overtaking lane, rather than to show that they are changing lanes or turning right or left.
They also love to tailgate you. It's my belief that they think they can save fuel by driving in your slipstream.
Dutch caravans can be fun too, particularly on country roads :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:13 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Got to talk with Tom,Don and NMB,it's like they never changed with age. DP is 82 rockin' years old.

Wow! :shock:

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:41 pm 

I Just accepted that Frank is dead, i feel way better now. I think God is happy cuz he finally let me win a p0ker tourney one hour ago 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:44 pm 

phydeaux3 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Got to talk with Tom,Don and NMB,it's like they never changed with age. DP is 82 rockin' years old.

Image Image

According to Wikipedia Don was born September 21, 1932 which would make him 80 in about 7 weeks. Where do you get your info Kapt.? Just striving for accuracy here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:54 pm 

phydeaux3 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Image Image

He might of said 72.I thought he said 82 though.Maybe my hearings going too. They were all in fine form as musicians,that's for sure.I'd like to hear and see a battle of the keyboards between Chick Corea,Don Preston,Tommy Mars,George Duke,Greg Allman....ect.They're getting up there in age,but haven't slowed down a bit as musicians. So many could've just been dead rock star stats and nothing more.These guys have legs! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:05 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
phydeaux3 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Image Image

He might of said 72.I thought he said 82 though.Maybe my hearings going too. They were all in fine form as musicians,that's for sure.I'd like to hear and see a battle of the keyboards between Chick Corea,Don Preston,Tommy Mars,George Duke,Greg Allman....ect.They're getting up there in age,but haven't slowed down a bit as musicians. So many could've just been dead rock star stats and nothing more.These guys have legs! 8)

72, 80, or 82 Don looks great by all accounts. So do those other guys. I hope I'm doing as well when I get to their ages (shit - I may not be doing as well now).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:12 pm 

KUIII wrote:
phydeaux3 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Image Image

According to Wikipedia Don was born September 21, 1932 which would make him 80 in about 7 weeks. Where do you get your info Kapt.? Just striving for accuracy here.

NMB said that.I could of misunderstood him as he was rappin' alot and Don did stand up to the applause when he said it.He might have just said something like "..and Don's gonna be 80 too". I'll PM the forum member that was sitting with me and check to see which is right.BTW,Wiki's been wrong before and so have I. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 am 

An old classmate of mine, Koos van Berkel, has invented a flywheel for cars.
I feel old and useless.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:27 am 

BBP wrote:
An old classmate of mine, Koos van Berkel, has invented a flywheel for cars.
I feel old and useless.

Why? You should feel proud 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:47 am 

BBP wrote:
An old classmate of mine, Koos van Berkel, has invented a flywheel for cars...

Does it work better than a hamster wheel?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 340  Next