Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 352  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:30 am 

Caputh wrote:
Plook wrote:

Burn down the school collect insurance higher a contractor to rebuild it, problem solved... :smoke:

Was that a young Plook in Montreux, Switzerland?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:54 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Plook wrote:

Burn down the school collect insurance higher a contractor to rebuild it, problem solved... :smoke:

Was that a young Plook in Montreux, Switzerland?

:mrgreen:

Consider it my way of creating jobs... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:52 am 

Was rather nasty to a colleague at work today, who I like rather a lot. I criticized her examination techniques. One thing I notice about my psyche is that I tend to bottle my complaints up for rather a long time and then complain about everything in one go, thus engendering surprised shock. Whereas females tend to complain about everything straight away, causing continual annoyance. Is this a particularly male trait, or is it just me?

Questions, questions, questions flooding into the mind of the concerned middle aged person today...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 am 

You have to be careful with that. One of my favourite teachers was Mr Wernsen, he taught chemistry. Chemistry is a very abstract subject, but with the aid of his creativity and humour he managed to draw us decent pictures of these things called molecules. Like the time he spread his legs, set one hand on the floor and stuck one arm in the air to explain to us what a tetraeder looks like. Or the time he did an uncanny impersonation of Mr Bean pointing out the element Aluminium on the Periodic Table of the Elements. He'd occasionally bring out people in the class and let them perform little plays to demonstrate how certain reactions work. I once played a water molecule and a 1,2 dipole molecule.
He had the patience of a saint you'd think, but when I was in the 4th grade and had a very testosterone-dominated class with very annoying boys, he suddenly lost his temper beyond scare, over something as silly as go game stones, cancelled class and was away for weeks with hypertension. Saddened me greatly as I was very fond of him. Still am.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 am 

Do you think it's true, though? Do men (generally) tend to wait too long before they get angry?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 pm 

Another perspective - I think people try to pick their battles. We don't discuss topic 1 because topic 2 needs immediate attention. Then after topic 2 is resolved, things have quieted down, we want to relax for a bit, so we don't want to rock the boat by bringing up topic 1. Then the next day, topic 3 comes along catching you off guard and topic 1 gets thrown in there because the conversation rolls that way due to it still being on your mind. Afterward, it felt like your description of everything coming out at once, because the courtesy of waiting for the right time can only wait so long.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:33 pm 

BBP wrote:
You have to be careful with that. One of my favourite teachers was Mr Wernsen, he taught chemistry. Chemistry is a very abstract subject, but with the aid of his creativity and humour he managed to draw us decent pictures of these things called molecules. Like the time he spread his legs, set one hand on the floor and stuck one arm in the air to explain to us what a tetraeder looks like. Or the time he did an uncanny impersonation of Mr Bean pointing out the element Aluminium on the Periodic Table of the Elements. He'd occasionally bring out people in the class and let them perform little plays to demonstrate how certain reactions work. I once played a water molecule and a 1,2 dipole molecule.
He had the patience of a saint you'd think, but when I was in the 4th grade and had a very testosterone-dominated class with very annoying boys, he suddenly lost his temper beyond scare, over something as silly as go game stones, cancelled class and was away for weeks with hypertension. Saddened me greatly as I was very fond of him. Still am.

The question that comes to mind is if Mr Wernsen starts Breaking Bad will Bonny be Jesse to his Heisenberg... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:29 am 

No I didn't crush on him. He was a very fatherly character towards the kids. Only teacher I ever crushed on was my music teacher in first grade (all girls crushed on him btw). He was the only teacher I had at the time who was under 40.

No Caputh, I don't think it's specific of men. Some people explode in rage over absolutely nothing, others keep cropping it up until they've had more than they can handle. It'll be very scary for your co-workers though. Vent a little earlier occasionally. Get a nice punchball.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 pm 

I'm getting a new little kitty cat. Already has a name. But I shall add Zappa into the mix.

Marley Zappa Slade

:3

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:09 am 

Cute! Can you post a picture or two? Or three, four, five...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 am 

I'll post loads eventually as I fucking love cats.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 am 

Found out my dad is losing his battle with cirrhosis. Drank like a fish for nearly forty years. Doctor ordered hospice care, so he will only go downhill from here. Of course it comes as little surprise, but sometimes a little is a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 am 

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a lot of work for you ahead and for him, too,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Found out my dad is losing his battle with cirrhosis. Drank like a fish for nearly forty years. Doctor ordered hospice care, so he will only go downhill from here. Of course it comes as little surprise, but sometimes a little is a lot.

My sympathies Duchamp, I lost my Pop to Alzheimer's and a second wife that thought it was better to let him drink it all away. It killed him quick... if she didn't. She put him in a home she worked at, on the same Alzheimer's wing she was assigned to, then discovered him dead within a month. I found out he was there a week into it. I saw and took him out three times and he was gone with nothing left for his only surviving son but the clip of hair he gave me a few years back while fishing. I scattered it high in the sierra's where we used to hike and fish. Her and I were the only one's he knew by name by towards the latter stages. Anyway they said heart attack... or pillow over the head Coo-Coo's Nest style? $1,200 bucks a month for life... body sealed for University of Nevada at Reno donation as per Pops wish...but no ashes?... To protect his privacy I didn't find out his ashes we're really released or refused and dumped within 3 months after his death, until 3 yrs. of trying to find them. Someone goofed and told me his body wasn't any use to them and was declined almost immediately. Lucky I asked Pops for that lock of hair when we where both still cognative, fishin' and being the odd friends we were beside family and all. If I didn't get that lock, I'd have nothing of his...not even his old pocket knife we always used when fishin' to remember him by.
Lesson: Just make sure all is in your favor legally that way Duchamp or you won't have a thing to remember him by like I.
It's hard to watch one you love go down fast no matter what the cause. It's gonna hurt now and then a lot, but at least you can see him more frequently I hope.
Get any unfinished biz you think is necessary now outta the way or forever hold your piece. It'll eat at you if you don't!
So a liver transplant seems out of the question to then eh?
Peace be with you and yours Duchamp.
I love ya man!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:34 am 

Stay strong, duchamp, you have our support!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:28 am 

All strength to you, Duchamp! (hug)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:22 pm 

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I spent the day with him today. It has become very clear he has only days left at this point. I do have all of his legal affairs in order and in my favor but damn this is happening fast. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:54 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I spent the day with him today. It has become very clear he has only days left at this point. I do have all of his legal affairs in order and in my favor but damn this is happening fast. Thanks again.

It's always happens too fast duchamp. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:18 am 

positive thoughts to you all from me
TT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:44 pm 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:59 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:26 pm 

The bloke that touched up one of my kids at the pool in august, after all the legal shit / ramifications committed suicide yesterday.
Many things going through my head...
TT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:27 pm 

deuce wrote:
The bloke that touched up one of my kids at the pool in august, after all the legal shit / ramifications committed suicide yesterday.
Many things going through my head...
TT

Suicide Chump. Don't sweat it deuce if he was doing that shit. Good riddance and he saved you $$'s too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:57 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Suicide Chump. Don't sweat it deuce if he was doing that shit. Good riddance and he saved you $$'s too.

Many thanks KK. Suicide chump is one of those things I'd not only thought of but had another listen to.
Ironically, this whole last week, I've been working on a better version of this song of mine (I penned it way back, before I'd heard SC).
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlXrZM8265E
TT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:52 pm 

deuce wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Many thanks KK. Suicide chump is one of those things I'd not only thought of but had another listen to.
Ironically, this whole last week, I've been working on a better version of this song of mine (I penned it way back, before I'd heard SC).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlXrZM8265E
TT

Any one that's seen Poly play on youtube would agree, I think, that both you and he have similar ways of scoring a tune/composition. Gee, I wonder why, ya think it might have anything to do with FZ! Haha!

You both sorta' look similar too. Not that it makes a heck of a lot of difference. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I listened to a few other songs by you deuce (TT) and that Dobro sounds better than a 12string imho. I like the way it adds a filler/background full body sound to a song. Good stuff bro'! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 352  Next