Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am 

Caputh wrote:
A beautiful heron stood in our pond at dawn this morning and ate 27 of 31 goldfish as far as I can make out.

1. Very cool to see herons, especially up close
2. Very cool to have your own pond, especially so in that you appreciate it
3. Very cool that you have goldfish in the pond or at least 4 anyway
4. Lastly, very cool that you have the ability to locate their numbers. I'm not sure if I could know of 31 different goldfish in a 10 gallon tank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am 

I cried for my goldfish :cry: (who I have counted in idle moments) and smiled for the heron. :)
Mind you, I might be wrong about the casualties. I observed the goldfish during the course of the day and usually all 31 used to hang together. The remaining 4 I could observe were distributed around the pond, very still and trying to hide - some more successfully than others. So perhaps more survived than I could see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am 

Caputh wrote:
A beautiful heron stood in our pond at dawn this morning and ate 27 of 31 goldfish as far as I can make out.

In our last house we had a largeish pond in the middle of the garden and as it happened (when we drained it) over 200 goldfish. Never saw a heron once.
When we moved, we gave most of the fish to our neighbour, and within two weeks most (or many) of them had got eaten by herons.
TT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:48 pm 

When does the Heron hunting season begin?

mmmmmmm heron on toast.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:46 pm 

I drove through Rancho Cucamonga today. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:44 am 

Off to the European Parliament in Strasbourg with a class tomorrow. Rarely have I had to fill in so many forms or had to deal with a more confusing website before.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:41 pm 

I'm sure all those people in the US who had to deal with Obamacare feel your pain...

Today I went to the cinema for the first time in 8 years. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Off to the European Parliament in Strasbourg with a class tomorrow. Rarely have I had to fill in so many forms or had to deal with a more confusing website before.

Don't forget to play them (on the bus):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HowIDiFOHwY

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:17 am 

Just so you know, the guitarist of that group is the man who called FZ's music "the Birdie Song for intellectuals".

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:14 am 

I understand your frustration BBP, but how do you think his opinion influences his music with Focus? Most compositions are Van Leer's, I guess, anyway. But still, he is one of the best guitarists to emerge from prog rockdom...

You should be proud of this Dutch band, they definitively kick ass...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:12 am 

Attitude matters a lot to me. Anyway I'm more of a Supersister person.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm 

Survived my audit with Ford today. I'd much prefer an ISO audit over a customer audit. I've had the same ISO auditor for years, and I know all the things he looks for. With a customer, it's a crapshoot over what kind of shit they're going to be looking for. :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:12 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Survived my audit with Ford today. I'd much prefer an ISO audit over a customer audit. I've had the same ISO auditor for years, and I know all the things he looks for. With a customer, it's a crapshoot over what kind of shit they're going to be looking for. :?:

The customer is always right.....even when they're wrong :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:06 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

The customer is always right.....even when they're wrong :wink:

And, my boss will slobber all over the customer's dick to get that business. He allows so much shit to go on outside our standard operating procedures, it really makes my job hard. It's hard to produce documentation that was never generated in the first place. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am 

Saw a teaser for a Belgian TV show in zapping past. Four famous Belgians had a vinyl record with portrait in front of their head (so it looks like they are that musician) and one of them held up Apostrophe.

Man do your housemates look funny when you point that out! But it made my day.

Go Frank! In our hearts forever!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 am 

Had a BB moment today when I cycled into a van that was parked on the cycle path. It was raining hard and I was almost home, saw him too late, boom.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 am 

Got back from a trip to the European Parliament in Strasbourg, which was fun in a stressful kind of way. My pupils enjoyed it enormously and behaved very well indeed, taking part with great interest in many seminars and events. The only problem was the security there. My pupils were under 18 and thus I was informed at one point that I was supposed to physically accompany them to all the events within the building. Unfortunately, the individual pupils had also been previously encouraged to sign up for different events which took place simultaneously. And I am not the holy trinity. In the end, I had to resort to smuggling individual groups into the building separately. By the second day, security had given up.
Strasbourg is lovely, too. Found a relatively cheap cafe where I dined on snails, fried potatoes and bacon with a yoghurt sauce, delicious cheese and a "pichet" of Pinot Blanc.
Thanks for the link Mr GG!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 am 

BBP wrote:
Had a BB moment today when I cycled into a van that was parked on the cycle path. It was raining hard and I was almost home, saw him too late, boom.

Hopefully your not posting from a hospital bed BBP!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 pm 

Went drinking and biking on saturday for our bi-annual p0ker run. Came home with punctures and gouges on 3 out of 4 extremities, a bag of weed and a nice watercolour done by a friend as a prize.

Just got a text from my wife that the mason who I hired to repair the chimney after a 15lb hunk of concrete fell off the cap just dropped a piece of masonry through our glass patio table and sent shrapnel everywhere. Seems that he should have said yes when I asked him if he needed the deck cleared off. Or I should have ignored him...

Miasma!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:18 pm 

Oh, to see slow motion footage of that happening, Sam! Sorry about the table, hope nobody was hurt! Just don't walk barefoot in the area for the next few weeks and be careful with bicycles and pets and inflatable things in general.

I'm fine Ghostie - I just feel real stupid.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:17 am 

Went out specifically to check if the path in question was a cyclepath or a suggested path. Both are red paths at the sides of the road; the only visual difference is that a cyclepath has the occasional bicycle painted on it. You're allowed to park on a suggested path, but not on a cyclepath.

The path I was cycling on as I bumped into a car that was parked there, was a CYCLEPATH and therefore the SOB cleaner shouldn't have parked there.
Doesn't cure my headache but it does make me feel better!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:52 pm 

I'm glad you didn't end up in traction BBP.

Here in NZ, due to a growing list of injuries and fatalities to cyclists, it's now compulsory to wear an approved cycle helmet. The government is alledgedly spending big bucks on cycle lanes and paths...But the ones that are in operation aren't well maintained so users risk the inevitable puncture(s) when they us them. Here cycling is nolonger the carefree experience it once was, now it's helmets, high visibility jackets and flashing lights front and rear, all to avoid being run down by inattentive motorists.........like me. The last time I was on my bike, about six Months ago, I had to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid a car reversing out of a driveway, brake heavily so as not to crash into a guy suddenly opening his car door right in front of me and take to the footpath so I didn't get squashed by an overtaking truck. All this in a fifteen minute spin to the shops, I've since hung up my bycycle clips, well at least till next summer :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:02 pm 

Last week my niece had a baby. They quickly discovered the baby has a serious heart problem, that can only be fixed through open-heart surgery. Without the surgery, the baby will die.

To make matters worse, they're in Japan. The baby was born at a U.S. Naval hospital that doesn't have the facilities to perform this type of surgery. So they transferred him to a children's hospital in Yokohama. The problem is: neither my niece nor her husband speaks Japanese. They're having a hard time communicating with the hospital staff.

The surgery is scheduled for Thursday morning Japan time. I feel totally helpless thousands of miles away in California. I can't even imagine how my niece feels: she's almost as helpless as I am, and she's at the hospital.

So I'm watching and I'm waiting, hoping for the best...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:34 pm 

Have faith MTF....Japanese hospitals are some of the best in the world, they have the technology....

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:23 pm 

Replaced my stolen bike. I had to, I was gaining weight! Got started on two hours of tape to capture and an hour of capture to archive, clearing the way for two new hours of captured material to be put on DVD tomorrow and Thursday. I also had to get a Death Certificate in Woodland to show the Postmaster that it's now my PO box, as it was in my friend's name before. I haven't been able to collect my mail since I lost my keys in Jackson, CA. a few weeks back. :roll:
Which leads me to,
If I hear one more yuppie scum sucker say "It is what it is", I'll show them how we did it in Bezerkeley when we wanted change from "It is what it is" to "It's what the people want, when they want it, fool! Your supposed to serve us, don't forget it. We the people pay your freakin' wage. Y'all deserve a brick today Mo-Fo's. Although when we were changing the world, stopping wars and dealing with crooked presidents, we had a lot more people willing to risk it all for the rest of us than there is now. I haven't seen this much apathy since the drug induced late '70's. Damn shame too!

All that and more Howie, it's damn hot too! It's 98f but feels like 108f. Well, it is what it is, eh? Back to you Casey Kasem...where'd he go? Casey? Come on out boy! He doesn't he know he's missing now does he?

Keep the faith MTF. We taught the Japanese well and they would lose face if they botched anything. Their most likely as scared as y'all are. I hope you find an interpreter soon. Try a local American division in one of the big corps based there. Yokohama has a consulate that might help too. Good luck bro'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 350  Next