Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:11 pm 

During the last couple days, I've been testing out my nifty car stereo by cranking some Frank...Roxy and Elsewhere (Wow! I never horns THERE before!) and Imaginary Diseases. Surrounded by gorgeous music!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 pm 

Hope it gets better and home soon, MTF... congrats.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:54 pm 

Today I cut 115 pickets for my new fence,

Hopefully the heads of the pickets look somewhat familiar, They're meant to honor one of the greatest design fuckups in the history of architecture:
The "bent" pyramid of Sneferu...

==============
P.S.: My niece's baby is doing much better. Not only did they let him out of the ICU: they discharged him from the hospital. Yesterday he went home for the very first time...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:14 pm 

Tis the season for picking morels. Sauteed some with scrambled eggs for my 2nd breakfast. You know that in some places these go for $50 per lb. Nice to be able to get them for free.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:48 pm 

I had an aunt who used to season them a little and bread them. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:16 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Today I cut 115 pickets for my new fence,

Hopefully the heads of the pickets look somewhat familiar, They're meant to honor one of the greatest design fuckups in the history of architecture:
The "bent" pyramid of Sneferu...

==============
P.S.: My niece's baby is doing much better. Not only did they let him out of the ICU: they discharged him from the hospital. Yesterday he went home for the very first time...

Thats good news MTF, he'll be asking to borrow the car in no time....

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:33 am 

After the EU elections have decided to give up UK nationality and become a German, after 29 years of living here.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:58 pm 

29 years, sounds about right, you don't want to russian when dealing with matters of nationality.

Big decision though Caputh, throwing your cap in with the folks from a foreign land.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:02 pm 

Caputh wrote:
After the EU elections have decided to give up UK nationality and become a German, after 29 years of living here.

Is this anything to do with UKIP? It seems that their total votes were actually down on last time, and the votes they got were taken from the conservatives - same difference.
TT

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:11 am 

deuce wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Is this anything to do with UKIP? It seems that their total votes were actually down on last time, and the votes they got were taken from the conservatives - same difference.
TT

From what I've read, they got 28% of the vote.
I agree with the last point, though, and that's what worries me most. Basically, the EU friendly Tories are going to lose out to the EU opponents and UKIP. In my case, it's the straw that broke the proverbial. I originally thought about changing my nationality after being told that the increase in a price of a passport was due to the increased costs for security as a result of the Iraq war. I paid up reluctantly, though.
Then, on my last two (school) trips to England, members of our group (the bus driver and one pupil) were assaulted by English people for "being foreign". UKIP, in particular, fosters the sentiments that can lead to such actions IMO.
I also found that gaining entry to the UK these days for non-Britains reminds one eerily of the border controls in East Germany which I also experienced in the mid 80s to 1989. If Tory and UKIP plans to increase immigration controls are put through these will get even worse.
Also UKIP and indirectly the Tory plans to withdraw from the EU put my livelihood at risk. I am a civil servant as a teacher in Germany: this basically means I can only pursue my profession at the present status if I am an EU or German national (in fact, I appear to be one of the few EU nationals in the federal state in which I live who ís a civil servant). If the UK withdraws from the EU I am no longer a civil servant as the Germans are one of the few countries that do not fully accept dual nationality.
The results of withdrawal from the EU will also be economically catastrophic for the UK, IMO. The idea that it is going to turn into the second Switzerland of Europe is risible, I think.
Lastly, I consider UKIP to contain many racists or "lite" racists, and I don't want to have the nationality of a country in which 28% of those who vote are voting for such a party- I also found it enlightening how the BBC website stressed the shock and horror of the Front Nationale's 25%, whilst utterly playing down UKIP's gains. So for practical reasons and as a protest I think those are reason enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:14 am 

Since my son leaves for 5 weeks in New York next Saturday, my parents are taking us for a Father's Day dinner tonight at this wonderful Cajun restaurant.

http://www.meomios.com/PARIS_LANDING_LOCATION.php

I will get my Father's Day gift from my son tonight. I'm pretty sure it's a copy of Zappa The Hard Way. That's what I asked for, and our family is pretty much into getting the recipient what they want vs. the element of a surprise gift. It's cool with me. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:07 am 

Philostopher wrote:
Since my son leaves for 5 weeks in New York next Saturday, my parents are taking us for a Father's Day dinner tonight at this wonderful Cajun restaurant.

I will get my Father's Day gift from my son tonight. I'm pretty sure it's a copy of Zappa The Hard Way. That's what I asked for, and our family is pretty much into getting the recipient what they want vs. the element of a surprise gift. It's cool with me. :)

Good book! I won't spoil it and tell you what happens.

I'll probably be asking for some more memory (for my computer) or some books. I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:38 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

Good book! I won't spoil it and tell you what happens.

I'll probably be asking for some more memory (for my computer) or some books. I dunno.

:mrgreen: Thanks for not giving away the ending.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:38 am 

Mowed an awful lot of grass this afternoon, then as I was set for an evenings strumming, find out that the neighbours cows had broken the fencing to our field and got in. Spent most of this evening sorting that.
Luckily, I have MUCH cider in the boot room. :P
TT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:09 pm 

Watched a movie I didn't want to see :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:04 pm 

Which one?

Am going to visit a friend today, am stoked! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 pm 

I had a colonoscopy screening because I turned 50 last year, and woke up near the very end of the procedure. Ouch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:49 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I had a colonoscopy screening because I turned 50 last year, and woke up near the very end of the procedure. Ouch.

:shock:
Fuck that! That's like being roofied, and waking up before the gang bang is over.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

They let you sleep through it? Maybe if I had made a few more tasteless (!) jokes, they would have put me under, too..... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:18 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

They let you sleep through it? Maybe if I had made a few more tasteless (!) jokes, they would have put me under, too..... :(

I had never had any kind of anesthesia before and don't drink any alcohol and I think they under-dosed me a bit, assuming that whatever they gave me would be strong enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:43 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I had never had any kind of anesthesia before and don't drink any alcohol and I think they under-dosed me a bit, assuming that whatever they gave me would be strong enough.

Here in the 21st century we could use a better Jetson's like way of doing the colonoscopy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:02 am 

Poor Cal!

I cleaned my piano yesterday and now there's a lot of dust in my lungs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:04 am 

Yesterday, we had the vet to put our 14 year old pal, a golden retrivier labrador dog, to eternal sleep, he had a severe case of joint displasia and could not get up anymore : (

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:30 am 

So sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is, One of my Golden's is 11, and getting stiff, he thinks he is still a pup, I am preparing for the inevitable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:54 am 

This is what my wife& I are going to do the next time......http://ptflw.com/PleaseAdopt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next