Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9034 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346 ... 362  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 am 

LOL..very good Slim...well done!... :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:53 am 

Here in California we're in the third year of a pretty bad drought. As a result we're under strict water rationing, with severe fines if you use more than your allotment.

On Wednesday, a guy from the city's Public Works department was doing a routine inspection of storm sewers. Even though it hasn't rained here in months, the guy found water running through the storm sewer on our street. This is usually indicative of a leaking water main. They estimated the flow rate to be about 4 gallons per minute, which over the course of a month equals the allotment of twenty homes.

So on Thursday the water department sent in a guy with all kinds of weird devices, to determine where the leak is. He eventually determined that the leak was on the lateral right in front of my house. So the water department scheduled an emergency repair job to replace the lateral, beginning at 7am Friday. Then they brought in the barricades, the no parking signs, and the guys with hard hats to spray paint color coded lines in the street, so they knew where to dig without hitting gas lines or sewer lines. Finally, the friendly lady with the clipboard knocked on doors, and dropped off flyers telling people who to call if their cars got impounded (and more importantly, how much it would cost to get it back).

Friday morning at 7:30, they all showed up; six guys, a dump truck, a backhoe, two pickups full of tools and parts, and another enormous vehicle that looked like a cross between a garbage truck and a zamboni (I found out later it was for sucking the water out of the trench they were about to dig). After many loud salutations and sports-related comments they began unpacking their gear. And exactly at 8 am - the legally-ordained beginning of noise time - they started up the concrete saw. They cut a nice four foot by six foot rectangle in the asphalt, and spent the next ninety minutes digging a hole to expose the connection between the water main and the lateral. Then another hour to replace the lateral, and they were done. No fuss; no muss.

Only one problem: the water was still running into the storm drain. To quote Homer; d'Oh.

After lunch, the guy with the weird devices was back. He did all the same tests again, and again he concluded that the leak was coming from the lateral in front of my house. That's right: the lateral they had just replaced.

So they put a steel plate over the hole and called it a day. Come Monday, they'll probably come back and try again.

California's got the most of them
Boy, they got a host of them...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:57 am 

You have my comiserations, MTF...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:34 am 

Unfortunately this is an all to familiar story.
We had the fine men from Telecom scan the footpath out the front of my work place, hand out the leaflets dig the hole put up the tent, which remained in place accommodating a selection of workers for five days. Work completed hole filled footpath restored, alls well. Two days later the Gas Company arrive, scan the footpath, hand out the leaflets dig the hole put up the tent, which remained in place accommodating a selection of workers for nine days. Work completed hole filled footpath restored, alls well. One day later The Power Company arrive, scan the footpath, they don't do leaflets dig the hole put up the tent, which remained in place accommodating a selection of workers for four days. Work completed hole filled footpath restored, alls well....A week went by Wellington City Council (water division) arrive, scan the footpath, hand out the leaflets, drive up and down the street playing a recorded message through the loud hailer dig the hole put up the tent, which remained in place accommodating a selection of workers for fourteen days! Work completed hole filled footpath kind of restored...I'm expecting the sewerage guys anyday now....Note: It's the same hole in the same location each time, and while it's interesting watching the machinery and seeing the sparks and smoke and from time to time the workers pouring with some urgency out of the tent, and the tent being flung twenty feet into the air by a huge geyser of water on more than one occasion (nine I think was the final number) and enduring the power/phone/water outages caused by these highly skilled tradespeople..water guys cut the power and the phone, phone guys cut the power and ruptured the water main, the gas guys cut everything and burnt down their tent necessitating a visit from the fire brigade...twice!.....I'm over it, flakes indeed....We're thinking of selling tickets, or setting up a video camera and shooting a movie, one of these guys is bound to catch on fire soon. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:11 pm 

Today (yesterday now) I compered and played some tunes at the 3rd Rory Gallagher Festival at Nantwich. Nothing too remarkable, aside from the sets done by Gywn Ashton (who? - check him out).
No-one is doing solo modern blues like it - he's so good!
TT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:21 pm 

ZutboF wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
BBP wrote:
Got up way too early after I had a nightmare.

What a coincidence. Me too. Now, it's going to be a super long day.
+1

And it just happened again. Zzzzzzz...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:48 am 

deuce wrote:
Today (yesterday now) I compered and played some tunes at the 3rd Rory Gallagher Festival at Nantwich. Nothing too remarkable, aside from the sets done by Gywn Ashton (who? - check him out).
No-one is doing solo modern blues like it - he's so good!
TT

Any links?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am 

Worked on Uncle Owen's moisture farm.

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:37 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

I take it your adopted, your real father has lots of prosthetics, and you’re hot for your sister but you did not know you were related… :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:53 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Didn't you tell me once that you ain't gonna work on Uncle Owen's moisture farm no more? I think you should quit, it's a shame how they make you scrub the floor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 pm 

I am now off to Newquay with the wife and four daughters, hopefully to do some boogie boarding.
And to understand women better :P
TT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 pm 

There's currently a petition in NL to get a law against making sexist remarks on the street. Signed it today; oddly after getting hurled at after cycling past a coffee shop. I didn't even know there was one there. And no, I wasn't wearing anything enticing: long trousers and a raincoat per current Dutch weather situation.

So I've spent a good deal of the day looking at cute pictures trying to scrub it off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 pm 

I think you need to explain what being "hurled at outside a coffee shop" means. The image of aimlessly object-throwing marijuana consumers stubbornly refuses to leave my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 pm 

Some hey baby remarks. I cycled by too fast to pay too much attention to anything but the strong smell of marihuana and how to find enough oxygen to bike on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:47 am 

Well, it was yesterday, but who's counting.
On the way to newquay, stopped at gordano services outside bristol, and saw a Buddhist monk hitch-hiking.
Managed to squeeze him in and dropped him off 70 miles down the road.
He was rather dull, more like talking to a vagrant than a wise scholar.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:29 pm 

deuce wrote:
On the way to newquay, stopped at gordano services outside bristol, and saw a Buddhist monk hitch-hiking.

That sounds like the beginning of a joke: "A Buddhist monk hitchhiker gets into a car..."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:31 pm 

ReetyAwrighty wrote:
deuce wrote:

That sounds like the beginning of a joke: "A Buddhist monk hitchhiker gets into a car..."

...and nothing happened.

(a true zen joke)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:36 pm 

Stocking fruits and vegetables happened to me today.

bananas
strawberries
grapes
mangos
pineapples
tomatoes
potatoes
onions
peppers (red, green, & orange)
romaine hearts
corn (on the cob)
lettuce
asparagus
mushrooms
carrots
green beans
salads
cole slaw
etc.

After that... chips, salsa, and a nap happened to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:43 pm 

BBP wrote:
Some hey baby remarks. I cycled by too fast to pay too much attention to anything but the strong smell of marihuana and how to find enough oxygen to bike on.

Sorry you have to deal with that shit. If I was there. I'd probably get my little ass kicked, but I would definitely defend your honor. You are a good person who doesn't deserve that shit. On this forum, or in your real life as well. You have my total support on anything going on in your life, as you have always been kind to me about my life's little kick in the arse.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:14 am 

Thanks Philo... oddly the boys stay away from me but that doesn't stop the remarks at about a monthly basis, no matter where I go. Even had an egg thrown at me once.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:05 am 

I'll be finishing the paint job on this machine later - taken me a few weeks - thought some of you might want a quick look.
TT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 pm 

deuce wrote:
I'll be finishing the paint job on this machine later - taken me a few weeks - thought some of you might want a quick look.
TT

Very Nice TT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:51 pm 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:41 pm 

Cool!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 am 

Awesome... :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9034 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346 ... 362  Next