Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:48 am 

This is for all the individuals who think their wana-be "sports" and "sports activities" are SPORTS. Don't get me wrong, grandpa here was the on the leading edge and an innovator of many of these activities that are now called "extreme sports" and have participated in many "activities" that are now considered sports. I also participated in the traditional American sports growing up, if your "thing" is eliminated by this list it does not mean you are not an athlete. Personally I maintained “tri-athlete” conditioning into my mid 40’s, doing many of these activities. So good or bad here it is…enjoy!

RULES THAT MAKE A SPORT

1. The activity MUST require hand/eye coordination (This eliminates soccer along with non-physical activates like chess and spelling bee competitions)

2. There must be a projectile involved, i.e.; a ball, puck or gloved fist. (This eliminates video games and competitive eating)

3. The person MUST be the athlete. (This eliminates all driving activities, where the car is the athlete, as well as all animal related games like rodeo, horse racing and cock-fighting)

4. There must be legitimate potential physical contact with other people and/or legitimate injury potential (This eliminates asinine entries like bowling, croquet, golf, fishing, pool, tennis)

5. The game must either be American by birth or America must have stolen it from its birth nation (goodbye rugby, cricket, running with the bulls and karate)

6. The activity MUST have national appeal across all of America, not just regional pockets of popularity. (This eliminates lacrosse, rowing and fluffernutter eating)

7. The game cannot be played in water (All swimming related activities, diving and of course water polo are gone, as well as Marco polo)

8. Women can't be good at it (This kills softball, volleyball, roller derby and tennis)

9. The activity cannot fall under the heading of "extreme, ultimate and/or adrenaline rush activities." Things you do to cheat death are not sports, they're just showing off. (Goodbye all motor biking, rock climbing, fighting that isn't boxing, skateboarding and the rest)

10. Can't be stupid (paintball)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:31 am 

May I add:

11. The sport must be namable as a proper noun, and not as a gerund.

and

12. Borderline homoerotic activity is socially acceptable within the confines of said sport.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 am 

13. There must be alcohol involved: the more, the better...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:58 am 

Soccer as performed in southern parts of Europe requires extensive hand and eye coordination. E.g., when explaining how a brutal tackle was just a pad on the shoulder. So to eliminate soccer, I guess Criterion 1 needs to be rephrased slightly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:56 am 

14. Anything where you roll around on the ground holding your leg like a big pussy is not a sport and neither is fucking soccer! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:44 pm 

HJ wrote:
Soccer as performed in southern parts of Europe requires extensive hand and eye coordination. E.g., when explaining how a brutal tackle was just a pad on the shoulder. So to eliminate soccer, I guess Criterion 1 needs to be rephrased slightly.

Soccer is out on rule 10 (its stupid) if number one doesn't do it for you and lets not forget number 6 (mass appeal in America). This crap will never catch on in the US, the scoring systems is boring and leaves us wishing for a fast death.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:57 pm 

Plook wrote:
HJ wrote:

Soccer is out on rule 10 (its stupid) if number one doesn't do it for you and lets not forget number 6 (mass appeal in America). This crap will never catch on in the US, the scoring systems is boring and leaves us wishing for a fast death.

I used to feel like you Plook but I'm actually starting to like soccer a little. It helped that I was roped into helping coach my son's 12 & under team last year and he surprisingly ended up being the best player on his team kicking at least one goal in every game. Now I don't sit around watching games on tv or anything but if I do happen to stumble across a game on espn2 or something I'll check it out for awhile. I played one year of organized soccer when I was in sixth grade and I was named the all-star goalie for the league. I was a bad motherfucker. Ha ha. It was the first year they had organized youth soccer in Oroville (this would have been 1973 I think). After the season our coach took us to the Oakland Coliseum to see Pele's Brazil team play Guadalajara. Pele made the only goal. It was interesting for all the fights in the stands too. The fans were quite passionate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:30 am 

feetlightup wrote:
11. The sport must be namable as a proper noun, and not as a gerund.

I guess that rules out dwarf tossing.

feetlightup wrote:
12. Borderline homoerotic activity is socially acceptable within the confines of said sport.

Okay: dwarf tossing is back in...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:22 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:
HJ wrote:

I used to feel like you Plook but I'm actually starting to like soccer a little.

Yeah...it's fun until someone kicks a ball into your face, from 3 feet away.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:51 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:
HJ wrote:

I used to feel like you Plook but I'm actually starting to like soccer a little. It helped that I was roped into helping coach my son's 12 & under team last year and he surprisingly ended up being the best player on his team kicking at least one goal in every game. Now I don't sit around watching games on tv or anything but if I do happen to stumble across a game on espn2 or something I'll check it out for awhile. I played one year of organized soccer when I was in sixth grade and I was named the all-star goalie for the league. I was a bad motherfucker. Ha ha. It was the first year they had organized youth soccer in Oroville (this would have been 1973 I think). After the season our coach took us to the Oakland Coliseum to see Pele's Brazil team play Guadalajara. Pele made the only goal. It was interesting for all the fights in the stands too. The fans were quite passionate.

My point exactly, great activity, your definitely an athlete. But even you who coach and played as a child cannot vouch for being a Fan, you can’t even make it through a whole game on TV…LOL. The highlight game you saw with one of it’s (almost typed sports there, I don’t want to ruin my stick with a mistake like that!) greatest players in Oakland was a 1-0 victory…whew I bet the fights in the stands were more interesting! It's eliminated by rule 6, 5, and 1.
:twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:22 am 

OK bucko! Look what you did now he's going to have a bruise! I'm giving you a card for that one! One more card and I'm sending you to the principal!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:21 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Yeah...it's fun until someone kicks a ball into your face, from 3 feet away.

Or...kicks a face into your balls from 3 feet away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:55 pm 

Plook wrote:
HJ wrote:

[/quote]

I go to the dentist and get 30 hits of h y d r o c o d o n e for my pain. I take advil and save the dope for the kids' soccer games. It's the only way to make it tolerable. H y d r o c o d o n e actually makes soccer enjoyable. I can listen to the morons yell at the kids, check out some MILFs and dream about my next trip to the dentist. I can smile the whole time. And the kicker is that people think I'm doing good parenting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:19 pm 

dipshit wrote:
Plook wrote:
HJ wrote:

I go to the dentist and get 30 hits of h y d r o c o d o n e for my pain. I take advil and save the dope for the kids' soccer games. It's the only way to make it tolerable. H y d r o c o d o n e actually makes soccer enjoyable. I can listen to the morons yell at the kids, check out some MILFs and dream about my next trip to the dentist. I can smile the whole time. And the kicker is that people think I'm doing good parenting.[/quote]

Beer has got the same impact and tastes better than pills. I'm playing football - or soccer as you funny Americans say - for more than 40 years and it's great ! Best sport.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 pm 

15. top player[s] must rake in a minimum of $10 million per annum endorsing shoes

dipshit wrote:
...I go to the dentist and get 30 hits of hydr.ocodone for my pain...check out some MILFs ...

still have a few vikes left from my last episode of the dentist never stops ... and shouldn't that be msilf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am 

Beer has got the same impact and tastes better than pills. I'm playing football - or soccer as you funny Americans say - for more than 40 years and it's great ! Best sport.[/quote]

Sorry my foreign friend...no sport for you...it is a great athletic activity though!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:38 pm 

Okay, if only American sports count I suppose real sports need a cheesy organ that's played in the background while somebody shoots a puck or a ball (rule 16).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:15 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Okay, if only American sports count I suppose real sports need a cheesy organ that's played in the background while somebody shoots a puck or a ball (rule 16).

Foreign sports are allowed, rule #5 the game must either be American by birth or America must have stolen it from its birth nation (goodbye rugby, cricket, running with the bulls and karate). Soccer although popular in the US, has never been claimed (or stolen)...LOL...and ultimately who gives a fuck anyway...lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:45 pm 

Plook wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:

Foreign sports are allowed, rule #5 the game must either be American by birth or America must have stolen it from its birth nation (goodbye rugby, cricket, running with the bulls and karate). Soccer although popular in the US, has never been claimed (or stolen)...LOL...and ultimately who gives a fuck anyway...lol.

Fritz, we also need to have cheerleaders (oops, I mean dance teams) shooting t-shirts into the stands with air guns, silly mascots, giant scoreboards telling us when to cheer, and ridiculous halftime shows to keep us entertained. God, if we Americans didn't have all this (bogus) pomp smothering our sports I don't think anybody would bother to show up. Also, if you're an American I think you are required by law to have Dale Earnhardt's number on the back window of your car. For you non-americans Dale Earnhardt was a race car driver who died when his car crashed 10 years ago or so because well, he was driving a race car real fast and it crashed. Anyway, for some reason he is probably the most popular person in America.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:51 pm 

Pig Hunting ~

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:00 pm 

stride wrote:
Pig Hunting ~

:roll:

Okay: but only if it's a Spider Pig...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:32 pm 

plook wrote:
8. Women can't be good at it (This kills softball, volleyball, roller derby and tennis)
does that mean penis gluing is out ¿

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:57 pm 

Yes but we can give it an honorable mention if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:53 am 

Quote:
Also, if you're an American I think you are required by law to have Dale Earnhardt's number on the back window of your car.

Or shaved into your back hair if it's thick enough! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:57 am 

Hey Stride: you wanna tell your All Blacks that Plook doesn't think rugby is a real sport?

Or ya think he ought to tell them himself?