Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:14 am 

Here's a weird one for over-the-top collectors: Apparently FZ was on the Spahn Ranch raid and suspect and arrest list from 1969!?

The inclusion of FZ can probably be explained by the fact that an associate of "The Family," named Frank Longo, went by the alias Frank Zappa. At least that's my guess.

I wonder if the cops paid Frank a visit? Freaky!

MANSON FILE VOL. 5 (160 pp.)
$20.00 (Spahn Ranch raid and suspect and arrest list - includes Frank Zappa, 66 mug shots and intriguing list of every homicide in Ramparts Division from '70-'77)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:12 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Here's a weird one for over-the-top collectors: Apparently FZ was on the Spahn Ranch raid and suspect and arrest list from 1969!?

The inclusion of FZ can probably be explained by the fact that an associate of "The Family," named Frank Longo, went by the alias Frank Zappa. At least that's my guess.

I wonder if the cops paid Frank a visit? Freaky!

MANSON FILE VOL. 5 (160 pp.)
$20.00 (Spahn Ranch raid and suspect and arrest list - includes Frank Zappa, 66 mug shots and intriguing list of every homicide in Ramparts Division from '70-'77)

Weird stuff. Had to be that explanation. Can't imagine him being anywhere near there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:39 am 

I was inspired to search for "manson/zappa" due to Gail's comments in the Laurel Canyon book:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/book-revi ... e=fullpage

CHARLES MANSON didn't blow everybody's minds. Laurel Canyon resident Gail Zappa, widow of freak-magnet Frank, foresaw the sinister end of the '60s long before their flower-powered neighbours started bolting their cottage doors in terror.

"If you were surprised by the Manson murders, you were not connected to what was going on in the canyon," she tells Michael Walker at the tilting point of this authoritative counter-cultural history. "Those people were dangerous . . . If you took drugs and dampened your perception, then that's why you didn't notice. But for those of us who were drug-free? Oh, we noticed."

And I believe members of he family used to hang in the caves behind the FZ/Tom Mix cabin.
And Phil Kaufman (FZ's one-time Road Manager as seen in Baby Snakes) actually owns the rights to Manson's album, LIE. They both met in prison in the late 50's.
And then there is Bobby Beausoliel, who was rumored to be a member of the all-night freak session on FREAK OUT. I don't think that's true tho'. Go read about Bobby over at united-mutations.com
And then there's Manson's quote about Frank:
Frank Zappa. He's a no good, thieving motherfucker!

I'd love to hear what Gail has to say about the arrest/suspect list, but you know that isn't going to happen. It was probably best left forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:18 pm 

just read a pretty lengthy article on Rolling Stone about old Charlie.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/charles-manson-today-the-final-confessions-of-a-psychopath-20131121
it was an interesting read.
here's a brief Zappa mention:
Quote:
Sometimes he'll give props to Neil Young for once saying that the Manson musical style was pretty good. "He didn't play no games on me, didn't try to steal a lot of my stuff like Zappa and them others. He's a straight-up dude."

and he may be getting married to an attractive 25 year old.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 am 

myourself wrote:
just read a pretty lengthy article on Rolling Stone about old Charlie.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/charles-manson-today-the-final-confessions-of-a-psychopath-20131121
it was an interesting read.
here's a brief Zappa mention:
Quote:
Sometimes he'll give props to Neil Young for once saying that the Manson musical style was pretty good. "He didn't play no games on me, didn't try to steal a lot of my stuff like Zappa and them others. He's a straight-up dude."

and he may be getting married to an attractive 25 year old.

Well, I suppose if you find this person attractive...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ocent.html
(Scroll down for the video)
Personally, I think I'd feel safer in a cell with Charlie than with her, i.e not very safe at all :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:38 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Personally, I think I'd feel safer in a cell with Charlie than with her, i.e not very safe at all :wink:

My thoughts exactly. Scary woman. Charlie could at least do his stand up routine, help pass the time.