Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:33 pm 

How do you feel about it? I've been into Zappa for only a little over a year now, but it feels like I've known his music for much longer. Since I heard Peaches on my friend's myspace Zappa is almost all I listen to. I've gone through band stages before, but for like a month... there is nothing like Zappa's music to me.

The thing that bothers me is, nobody I know really likes Zappa. I'm 20 and all my friends are basically my age... none of them care for Zappa. My wife, she loved ZPZ, but when it comes to listening to a CD of his she just hates it. She says it sounds too messy and all over the place. I totally cannot see it... for instance, I don't see how anyone can hear Son of Mr. Green Genes all the way through and not be fucking amazed... I get all fuzzy feeling when listening to it.

I just don't understand anyone, I feel almost alienated. When I read Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums and all of The Beatles albums are there but Zappa is completely unmentioned, I almost get angry.

It's frustrating that most people don't get Zappa's music... it's almost like they can't even hear it right. Their ears are so mucked up with MTV and Korn that they can't appreciate the genius of Zappa. Anyone feel like I do?

Hi, I'm new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:47 pm 

Hello and welcome, yes it is totally unfair that he never gets any airplay or recognition. But Freak Out! and WOIIFTM were on Rolling Stones list.

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mother, your Dad, your priest, to some guy on television, to any of the people telling you how to do your shit, then you DESERVE it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:55 pm 

grand_wazoo wrote:
Hello and welcome, yes it is totally unfair that he never gets any airplay or recognition. But Freak Out! and WOIIFTM were on Rolling Stones list.

Well, I stand corrected. I went through it, I must have overlooked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:49 pm 

Welcome to the world of Zappa.
The people I have come across that hate Zappa NEVER even heard ANY of his music. Shit pisses me off. Most tend to think hes was a tree hugging hippy. Mainley b/c the names of his kids. Talk about ignorance prevailes. Nay sayers just hush yo mouff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:21 am 

Had some painful incidents with loved ones. But as I can't bare listening to the music they appreciate I don't feel I should judge them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:56 am 

First off, welcome aboard.

Second....if they don't like it, F*** em. It's your life and your interests. Listen to whatever entertains you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:28 am 

My ex got me listening to Zappa after a friend of his got him listening. I just loved it from the word go.
A lot of people don't actually give his music a chance, but I'm not opposed to someone listening and deciding his music isn't for them. We're all different and it'd be boring if we were all the same.
It's the people who don't give it a chance and just say he was a drug taking hippy, WITHOUT listening, that do me in. Then that's the same with most types of music and artists. Give them a chance, you might like it, you know? Apart from Ministry Of Sound and anything else of that ilk...hehe. We ALL know that's a heap. Hehehe.... :wink:
None of my family or friends like Zappa really but I don't let it bother me too much. I can understand why it drives you a bit mad though, makes you wonder how people can sit and listen to 50 Cent but not give Zappa a second glance. All about taste I suppose. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:14 pm 

No one in my life really likes Zappa, except for one really important lady, being my mother. Eventually after she realized that his music meant alot to me she said 'Well, let's give this a try.' And now she loves his music to death and respects him deeply.
I'm a very lucky boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:19 pm 

BBP wrote:
Had some painful incidents with loved ones. But as I can't bare listening to the music they appreciate I don't feel I should judge them.

Perhaps their music is too bare and that's why you can't bear listening to it. Personally, I can't bear it when people correct my spelling.
    :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:32 pm 

FeralCats wrote:
No one in my life really likes Zappa, except for one really important lady, being my mother. Eventually after she realized that his music meant alot to me she said 'Well, let's give this a try.' And now she loves his music to death and respects him deeply.
I'm a very lucky boy.
I remember an incident with my father when I'd moved back into my parents' place for a short while 31 years ago. He wasn't too impressed with FZ because he considered his political commentary wasn't rigourous or radical enough. I was playing the Grand Wazoo in the lounge and he came and listened to it and was quite impressed. None the less he didn't become an FZ fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 pm 
Banned

franzshire wrote:
How do you feel about it? I've been into Zappa for only a little over a year now, but it feels like I've known his music for much longer. Since I heard Peaches on my friend's myspace Zappa is almost all I listen to. I've gone through band stages before, but for like a month... there is nothing like Zappa's music to me.

The thing that bothers me is, nobody I know really likes Zappa. I'm 20 and all my friends are basically my age... none of them care for Zappa. My wife, she loved ZPZ, but when it comes to listening to a CD of his she just hates it. She says it sounds too messy and all over the place. I totally cannot see it... for instance, I don't see how anyone can hear Son of Mr. Green Genes all the way through and not be fucking amazed... I get all fuzzy feeling when listening to it.

I just don't understand anyone, I feel almost alienated. When I read Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums and all of The Beatles albums are there but Zappa is completely unmentioned, I almost get angry.

It's frustrating that most people don't get Zappa's music... it's almost like they can't even hear it right. Their ears are so mucked up with MTV and Korn that they can't appreciate the genius of Zappa. Anyone feel like I do?

Hi, I'm new.

Yeah, we all feel the way you do. That's why we come to this forum. I'm fortunate that most of my friends enjoy Zappa. However there are a few stragglers, but of course we have other music or interests in common. Now family-wise, my Uncle Jeff who is a really big music fan doesn't really like FZ. He just dismisses FZ as someone to bunch into that prog-rock stereotype. He thinks Zappa is pretentious. I disagree, FZ is the only artist who can be precieved to be pretentious on the surface, but if you really pay attention, he's not pretentious at all. That is the thing that makes FZ the best. Of course, in my opinion, he hasn't listened to enough of his music to really make an intelligent hypothesis. My uncle Joe however, is also a big music lover and less of a prick than Uncle Jeff. He likes FZ. He's not really into Zappa alot, but he definitely appreciates what he did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:56 pm 

Welcome to the world of having good taste! Sadly, the better your tastes get, the lonelier you will be.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:50 pm 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
Now family-wise, my Uncle Jeff who is a really big music fan doesn't really like FZ. He just dismisses FZ as someone to bunch into that prog-rock stereotype. He thinks Zappa is pretentious. I disagree, FZ is the only artist who can be precieved to be pretentious on the surface, but if you really pay attention, he's not pretentious at all. That is the thing that makes FZ the best.

Gee, even the original Mothers era? Oh wait, I guess if he only liked the original Mothers era, you would probably hate it just as much. After all, many hipsters have taken the mentality that original MOI was Zappa's only good band and later Zappa stuff is either unlistenable prog wankery or banal foo foo comedy crap or something. Still, whenever someone would think even Freak Out is nothing but a consummate exercise in jack-assery; it's quite flabbergasting actually! Freak Out is pretty restrained when it comes to progressive rock leanings that would probably seem like the proverbial red rag to those hipster bulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 am 

The fact is, (IMO), Zappa is an acquired taste. Even the more "pleasant" tunes (e.g. songs with a minimum of dissonance, quirky meter changes, and controvertial lyrics) have very busy arrangements, and that just doesn't serve well as background music, which is how most people (including my wife, it seems) consume their music. One time I had "Uncle Meat" (the song) playing on my stereo, but even at a mild volume it made my wife come in and semi-complain "WHAT are you listening to?" because of all those marimbas racing all over the place. It's good music, complex, harmonious (even she would admit this), but just too distracting. It's too "hard" to listen to unless you're serious about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:14 am 

dkaplowitz wrote:
Welcome to the world of having good taste! Sadly, the better your tastes get, the lonelier you will be.

Believe me, I know. I'm 20 years old, I'm alone in my taste in film. I would actually rather watch Bergman over The Fast and Furious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:15 am 

I had a bit of a talk about Zappa with my mom before she died. I could hardly hide that I was interested in his music when I came back to the old homestead for what I thought was a short stay. I think we came to more of an understanding. She got why I respected him, although I know the lyrics would always be a barrier. Even the music would be too much. Still, some kind of agreement is better than none. She knew that he worked hard at what he loved to do, and finally did get some recognition and musicians who wanted to play his symphonic music in the end. That seemed to strike a chord with her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:58 pm 

Those who are nearest and dearest to me (wife, parents, sibs, best friends) respect the fact that I like Zappa's music, even if they care less for it. I think that's about as good as I can hope for, and I accept it thus.

>You don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:53 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
Those who are nearest and dearest to me (wife, parents, sibs, best friends) respect the fact that I like Zappa's music, even if they care less for it. I think that's about as good as I can hope for, and I accept it thus.

That's the way my wife is too. In fact, she HATES FZ music, but she understands the bigger picture.

What I hate is that my musician friends hate the music to, for the most part. A couple are casual fans, but that's about as good as it gets. Sometimes, I think it's my excitement about the music that puts them off. What is it about people that makes them uneasy when someone isn't afraid to be fanatical about something they love?????

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:12 pm 

i think you need to give her some more time. after year one, she probably needs another year, if she does not "get it". im kind of in your same boat. im in my mid-20s and learned the greatness of FZ over 2 and half years ago, in the middle of my relationship with my girlfriend. i went from not knowing FZ to being obsessed in the matter of weeks. needless to say, it was basically all i was listening to. at first it extremely annoyed her, and i think she got a little jealous 8) after awhile though, she started coming around. i figured out she responded best at first to albums with lyrics. i fed her Sheik, Joe's, You Are, Over-nite, Apostrophe, and Broadway. she now fully supports my FZ habit, listens to FZ on her own and accompanies me to ZPZ, Project/Object, and etc. its awesome.

oh, and most of my friends hate zappa, so no worries there. there are a few that like him, but most of them dont get it. and thats ok. i dont really expect most to get it, but i sure feel sorry for those impotent fools 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:34 pm 

Well, my wife and I have been together for 26 years. There was a period several years ago, where she said she liked a couple of instrumentals, primarily Watermelon and Blessed Relief. Now, for some reason, she has re-entrenched and doesn't even like those anymore. It's alright tho. I still like her. :lol:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject: Love Hate Weird
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:17 pm 

yes, I'm with ya...I only know 3 FZ fans...Most people I talk to think he is like Weird Al or think he did "Dirty" songs...I try to set them straight but some people you just can't get thru to...but some people when I play something for them they are blown away, but they don't pursue it any further...they only hear it when they are with me...listening to radio crap is shriveling up their ears...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:42 am 

just buy everybody in your family frank zappa greatest hits..... for christmas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:05 am 

ZappaIrl wrote:
"Greatest hits"? All three of them? I'd have to burn it. 1) Don't Eat The Yellow Snow 2) Dancing Fool 3) Valley Girl

The very sum and substance of Frank's entire career!

--Bat :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:18 am 

ZappaIrl wrote:

well, it wasnt the greatest hits, but i gave both my brothers zappa albums for the past 2 christmas', gave them a few during the year, but alas they dont seem to be as stimulated as they should be by it, so this year its looking like they will not be getting anymore zappa. once again, their loss really :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:26 pm 

franzshire wrote:
Anyone feel like I do?

My wife reminds me often that she doesn't appreciate FZ's music. I often wonder if this is because 22 or 23 years ago I started calling her mother the "magical pig" and she went along with it. She only found where this came from a couple of years ago.

My six-year old son thinks FZs music is the starting point for music. When he hears something he likes, he always asks, "Is this Frank Zappa music?" He seems to have a preference for blues music. He hears his share of rap/hip hop and doesn't go for it. There's hope yet.

The wife would buy me tickets to a ZPZ show if they would come to the Tampa Bay area, but I think she got off easy this xmas.