Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any smokers out there ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:56 pm 

Just been watching the FZ interview on Youtube where he refers to tobacco as his favourite vegetable and questions the claims of the anti smoking lobby regarding the damage it does, and wondered whether there are any smokers amongst forum users.

I have not smoked for 8 months, after 30+ years of tabbing - stopped during a nasty bout of tonsillitis when i actually lost the desire to smoke for several days, subsequently diagnosed with tuberculosis which helped me to stay stopped as i generally felt unwell. Still on medication for TB. So, it was kinda forced on me, i enjoyed smoking and i still miss it and wonder whether i will succumb again when my health improves.

Preferred roll ups the majority of the time - Cutter's Choice or Golden Virginia.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:28 pm 

Smoker Manifesto

I smoke, I like it. I don't care to live forever. I see no benefit in you living forever. I don't care if you don't like that I smoke. Your feelings and your health are completely irrelevant to me. I will continue to smoke, even if you ban it, because I know enough about herbs to substitute anytime I want with other nicotine producing plants. If any attempted ban succeeds I will smoke anything smokable that is not banned just to help facilitate your eventual demise. The chemical compound that causes your lungs damage is called CO or Carbon Monoxide. It is produced by any burning substance. If you have ever cooked your food, driven a car, burned leaves, gotten high, sat by a campfire, or lit a fart I do not need to hear any hypocritical bullshit from you, you are just as guilty of causing harm as any smoker, so you can go fuck yourself. :twisted: :lol:

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:47 pm 

Contrary to what many smokers believe, most of us non (tobacco) smokers don't care to live forever either. I have no problem with watching a smoker suffer with all the complications at the end of their days as long as I don't have to pay for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 pm 

Smoker Manifesto ... continued

I look forward to making you pay for my eventual hospital care, think of it as a sin tax for all of the misery you caused during my life. The incessant droning blather of health risks, and ever increasing prices. :mrgreen:

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:48 pm 

The saddest thing is having your life cut short because of smoking. Sure many other things can get you too but premature death from smoking is something most people come in to contact with via smoking friends and relatives.

The addiction amazes me. I know countless friends who have been told by their doctor to take this latest problem as a warning. They are unable to stop smoking even when faced with clear warnings of their own demise.

What needs to be done, and I'm pleased society is now going in this direction is for us to do everything we can to stop our young from ever taking up smoking because once you start it generally means you'll never be able to stop.

Personally I've never been interested in smoking. I guess as a kid with bad asthma I learned very early on to respect my lungs and having a father who smoked, stinking the house out gave reason for me to hate it. Even now I cannot stand the smell of it and If a smoker comes into my room for a few minutes I can still smell their stink hours after they have left. Dirty fuckers smokers.

Last edited by Ringo on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:49 pm 

I smoke, I smoke outside at home and I do not smoke in a restaurant even when it is allowable, I do smoke in bars that still allow it. I am sure my smoking can cause damage if I am unlucky, but there are so many other factors out there I doubt that the smoking is my main worry. I do in fact completely disregard any claims concerning second hand smoke, which is the biggest bullshit scam ever.

1.) If you have ever seen a picture from the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's to a certain degree...when 75% of all people smoked, the rooms literally had a huge cloud of smoke in them, if second hand smoke was as toxic as claimed these people would not or do live to great age in record numbers.
2.) If second hand smoke is so easily transmitted, why when discussing second hand smoke from Marijuana is it always denied that it could cause a failed drug test since it is so depleted and dissipated when it is received.

They have recently started trying (and successfully) to stop smoking neighbors in apartments and homes in Northern California. They even have recently been showing a commercial were someone is smoking in their apartment and the smoke travels through the ventilation system and/or walls to other units. This is complete bullshit since a ventilation system in a unit is a closed system in our area (I know some system in say New York are shared for heat, but not recently). If smoke is somehow migrating to your apartment from another unit through the ventilation or walls, you have a bigger problem than a smoking neighbor.

This is a liberty issue, they are using smokers to open the door to restricting individual liberty and it is working. When these anti smoker laws were first enacted it was said that that slippery slope could led to other restrictions and everyone said “No Way”. Well they have recently band transfats in NY and are talking about creating laws to stop overweight people from eating fast foods, most schools no longer allow candy and soda machines. So when they come for your rights I will fight for you even though you view me a societal outcast.

Leave us the FUCK alone and quit taxing the shit out of smokers, assholes!

I believe I had an opinion on this matter.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:00 pm 

I used to be quite anti tobacco almost militantly. I think i am sensitive to the over 4000 chemicals found in the smoke. i don't really give a shit anymore if people smoke it's their choice. if it makes them happy go for it. i still think it smells nasty. I try to avoid the shit. i hate when i take a hit off a joint and there's tobacco in it. I do sympathise with tobbocco smokers they should be able to have places where they can enjoy it other then out in the cold. My neighbor smokes a pipe then they open their windows and it is combined with perfumey skanky ho smell and stinks up my backyard. i've considered shooting the motherfucker. but that wouldn't be right and i don't have a gun anyway.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm 

I've smoked the occasional cigar...usually while drinking. Cigarettes have never appealed to me, even though nearly everybody in my family smokes them. It has nothing to do with seeing how hooked they are, it's just that drawing on one has always made me choke.

Weed, however...is another issue. I've smoked almost daily since I was twelve...that's nearly four decades...and now that I've been forced into quitting, I have to say that life without it SUCKS!

FUCK!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:51 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
I've smoked the occasional cigar...usually while drinking. Cigarettes have never appealed to me, even though nearly everybody in my family smokes them. It has nothing to do with seeing how hooked they are, it's just that drawing on one has always made me choke.

Weed, however...is another issue. I've smoked almost daily since I was twelve...that's nearly four decades...and now that I've been forced into quitting, I have to say that life without it SUCKS!

FUCK!

If I may ask was it a job that forced you to quit? Ive smoked that long too...not that crappy tobacco tho (what's the point)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:53 pm 

one of the uglies wrote:
Smoker Manifesto ... continued

I look forward to making you pay for my eventual hospital care, think of it as a sin tax for all of the misery you caused during my life. The incessant droning blather of health risks, and ever increasing prices. :mrgreen:

trust me, I wont be paying for your iron lung or your tracheotomy but feel free to send me a video with you smoking your last pack through your blow hole...that is the funniest shit ever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:18 pm 

Yes, clete...employers get a large discount on their worker's compensation insurance if they drug test. I need a job bad! I'm on the verge of hoboism! Even the crappiest job requires a piss inspection. The thing is...if I was doing acid they'd never even test for it. Opiates are out of your urine in two days. Weed...up to eight weeks!

Yeah, well that, and I'm too broke to buy any. I think it would be funnier than shit if drinkers and tobacco smokers had to quit or get fired. Fair is fair!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:23 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
Yes, clete...employers get a large discount on their worker's compensation insurance if they drug test. I need a job bad! I'm on the verge of hoboism! Even the crappiest job requires a piss inspection. The thing is...if I was doing acid they'd never even test for it. Opiates are out of your urine in two days. Weed...up to eight weeks!

Yeah, well that, and I'm too broke to buy any. I think it would be funnier than shit if drinkers and tobacco smokers had to quit or get fired. Fair is fair!

I have a slightly better idea I think, how about if instead we agree to work to get you your rights and you agree to work to keep us from losing ours. Then everyone wins instead of everyone losing. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm 

still puffing away on a pack of camel a day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:13 pm 

I used to smoke. I quit. I don't give a shit whether people smoke or not. My wife still does.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:38 pm 

Question, Cal - Do you like nose-hitting your wife's fag?

Uglies! I have to laugh! Haw Haw Haw! My rights?! I have the right to remain silent!

Let's all go down to the court house and demand our rights! Hee Hee Haw Haw Haw!

Then we'll all demand our right to a lawyer! Hardy fucking Hardy fucking Har fucking Har!

Hey, how long these jerks been in bidniz?

www.norml.org

Hey! Legalization is going to be on the ballot in California a year from now! Haw Haw Haw! I get to vote for my rights on an electronic voting machine!

Gosh I feel gooder 'n shit!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:46 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:00 pm 

I smoked for 20 fucking years and never really intended to in the first place. It was a joke and I never could stop once I started. I hate the smell and love the fact that I can save money now. If you want to smoke go ahead. Leave me out of it. I'm so glad I fucking quit!!! Nasty shit!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 pm 

not i

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:00 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
still puffing away on a pack of camel a day.

I've heard nine out of ten people who've tried
humps, switched back to the opposite sex. :mrgreen:

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:33 pm 

One of my neighbors is Joe The Tree-Hugging Dirt Worshiper. He's a vegan.

He also smokes two packs a day.

Go figure... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 am 

i smoke everyday

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 am 

Smoker Manifesto ... continued again.

As smokers we deny the forces of social conformity. We demand and will not rest until all people have the right to do with their own bodies what they choose. We will work to defend the rights and liberties even of those who refuse to recognize that we are trying to help them. The average non smoker believes that they are somehow superior to us, but the falseness of this is entirely too transparent. Everyone has that which they enjoy for the sake of enjoyment, and for everything that someone enjoys there is someone that believes it should be banned. We oppose prohibition. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:33 am 

Please stop smoking. I'm now watching my grandmother, who is one of the awesomest old ladies you could ever imagine*, who is very active in spite of her 86 years and who bluntly refuses to stay at home even for a day. A few months back she was hospitalized after she nearly died from her lung emphysema. She is now stuck to oxygen for 20 hours per day.
I love grandma very much, she's a wonderful dear who did over 50 years of charity work and who's character and humour has inspired many. It's dreadful to see her suffer this much... It's fine if YOU are selfish enough to say "I don't care", but do you want your family to regret they didn't extinguish every cigarette you put between your lips?

*When I phoned Grandma several weeks ago and asked her how she was, she said: "Well, I'm still having a little trouble with the marathon..."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 am 

Sorry about your granma, B.

The thing is, you can't ask a tobacco user to stop. It's a legal, advertised product that is exceptionally addictive. While I've found quitting weed to be a pain in the ass, tobacco addicts find quitting cigarettes to be practically impossible. Earth help you if you have to live with a smoker in withdrawal.

As for the horrible death it may cause, well...many deaths are horrible. As for asking someone else to pay for the disease...well, how about requiring the Marlboro men to pay for it directly instead of them giving the money to a dishonest government that will waste it on other agendas?

All in all, I don't care how someone got sick...this world is full of pitfalls that anyone can fall into. If society can't keep a substance off the streets, then society must deal with those folks that wind up getting hurt by it. Right now, I'd rather see my tax money going to heal the illnesses of our citizens than going to bogus and painfully destructive war efforts.

In a fair world, distillers and fag makers would be just as in jail as the streetcorner drug dealer. Either that, or there would be a regulated market for all substances of pleasure. It couldn't cost any more than the huge law enforcement/incarceration scam we got going now.

But, in the end, we should feel sorry for the addict. Sure, granma should have never taken that first puff...but what were the circumstances? Availability, legality, and an artificial yet tangible aura of "cool". Shit, even kids today wind up smoking after being forewarned time and time again. A pleasurable habit is just that...a fun addiction. People want to have fun... but of course, some folks are going to wind up getting hurt.

That's just the way it is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am 

I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother is ill.