Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The FATHER OF ROXY DVD
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:33 pm 

I just found out that the long awaited ROXY DVD will probably never be released and this is why: "lots of damaged footage, probably some missing"

The ZFT is in for a big shock. Zappa fans have been waiting over 35 YEARS for the ROXY DVD. We aren't going to accept the SON OF ROXY DVD. The only way that I would consider buying the SON OF ROXY DVD is if they include the FATHER OF ROXY DVD (despite it's condition) as a bonus feature.

Boycott in effect

One other offer for the ZFT. I would be happy to buy the Son Of Roxy DVD if the FATHER OF ROXY DVD was given freely to the fans. Possibly for download at an alternative website. However, I am serious. I buy no more Zappa products until I have the REAL ROXY DVD regardless of condition.

I hope I am making myself clear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:15 pm 

I'd cut way back for the ZFT. There only crime is not telling us what the fuck the expect us to know (why bands are being sued, why there is no roxy, why every release is like a "Best of THE VAULT.") Cut them some slack. At least their heart is sort of in the right place.

Last edited by zoidberg on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:34 pm 

JFK wrote:
I just found out that the long awaited ROXY DVD will probably never be released and this is why: "lots of damaged footage, probably some missing"

The ZFT is in for a big shock. Zappa fans have been waiting over 35 YEARS for the ROXY DVD. We aren't going to accept the SON OF ROXY DVD. The only way that I would consider buying the SON OF ROXY DVD is if they include the FATHER OF ROXY DVD (despite it's condition) as a bonus feature.

Boycott in effect

One other offer for the ZFT. I would be happy to buy the Son Of Roxy DVD if the FATHER OF ROXY DVD was given freely to the fans. Possibly for download at an alternative website. However, I am serious. I buy no more Zappa products until I have the REAL ROXY DVD regardless of condition.

What are you, nuts?

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:48 pm 

JFK wrote:
...Zappa fans have been waiting over 35 YEARS for the ROXY DVD. We aren't going to accept the SON OF ROXY DVD...

I'll accept it.

JFK wrote:
...Boycott in effect...

So how's the one-person boycott working out so far?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:02 am 

JFK wrote:
Zappa fans have been waiting over 35 YEARS for the ROXY DVD.

Do you think Francesco Zappa fans have been waiting over 200 YEARS for his first digital recording?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:19 am 

Quote:
Q Can you tell us if anything is going on in your life at the Roxy movie.
FZ I wish there was... The status of that film is this: I spent about 30 or 40000 dollars,trying to get the thing on film, and I got it on film, and there's some things that happened down there that are absolutely fabulous. However, they're too weird to show on television, and I don't really think there's really a market in the theatres for a straight concert film like that, you know, so right now, this thing on my shelf being an expensive piece of home movie... Maybe one day when TV looses up a little bit we'll be able to show the lovely Brenda, doing her... That a real nice piece of film, that Brenda.

Adding two cents worth:
-If the ZPZ startup videos from 2006 were indeed of the quality of the rest of the Roxy movie, it is indeed hard to release it. It would fit straight into the Joe's Corsaga lane.
-If it's not there, it can't be made anymore.

What you're doing now is shooting yourself in the foot. A better option is to purchase everything FZ released up to Civilisation Phase 3, and let all the ZFT releases on the shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:52 am 

Who informed JFK or anyone else that the Roxy DVD will never be released?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:35 am 

Well you heard of an Army of one? He is a boycott movement of one!
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:40 am 

Oh well, everyone needs a hobby!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 pm 

I agree! Screw ZPZ! I won't buy because I bought the 1st ZPZ DVD and then they released the Fan Pack with 3CD's plus the DVD at a lower price.

Post subject: re: the dvd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:35 pm 

BBP wrote:
A better option is to purchase everything FZ released up to Civilisation Phase 3, and let all the ZFT releases on the shelf.

what about 'läther'? and 'mystery disc'? 'trance-fusion,' 'mofo' and 'lumpy money'...?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 am 

There is no impact to a boycott strategy of a dead artist who has a very small but fanatical fan base. Buy what you want, the economic model that the ZFT has adopted will work for them. I buy it all, but not the ZPZ DVD fan pack after I bought the original DVD.

I do believe that Frank would have marketed expanded editions of original work (like MOFO or Lumpy Money). He would have started it in the '90s when he saw that it worked for other artists.

I want the Roxy DVD too, but if I don't get it my life will not be incomplete, nor will I rant at Gail, what good does it do?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:48 am 

tweezers wrote:
...nor will I rant at Gail, what good does it do?

Helps release the accumulated day-to-day tension, and keeps you from taking it out on the kids.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 am 

just plain doug wrote:
tweezers wrote:
...nor will I rant at Gail, what good does it do?

Helps release the accumulated day-to-day tension, and keeps you from taking it out on the kids.

No kids, but a wife, a dog and some cats - point well taken Doug 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:35 pm 

I'll take the YELLOW SHARK DVD first.

That better see the light!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:34 pm 

I agree - that would be just as satisfying. I'll take what I can get for the time being. Every artist with a catalogue as large and fantastic as Frank's continues to be.......the fans are always going to want more than what's out there. I say keep clamouring for it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:12 am 

JFK wrote:
Boycott in effect

I prefer girlcotts: they smell better.

JFK wrote:

Don't worry: we'll go out for ice cream and you'll forget this ever happened...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:20 am 

BBP wrote:
Adding two cents worth:
-If the ZPZ startup videos from 2006 were indeed of the quality of the rest of the Roxy movie, it is indeed hard to release it. It would fit straight into the Joe's Corsaga lane.

Well that's a little harsh. I think the clips we've seen from it so far are phenomenal and would be the *holy grail* in my DVD collection. But that's just me :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:04 am 

Not the player quality but the vid quality. Granted it may be looking better on a normal-sized screen but it looked like a blizzard here and there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:08 am 

BBP wrote:
Not the player quality but the vid quality. Granted it may be looking better on a normal-sized screen but it looked like a blizzard here and there.

Really? Considering the source, I was completely thrilled to see my absolute favorite live album of *all-time* in "live action"! You'd rather have a DVD of ZPZ's Roxy release than a Roxy DVD with the quality based on the 3 tunes we were graced with already? To each his/her own - but to me, that's a no-brainer! :mrgreen:

<cough>FZ</cough>

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:38 am 

Don't get me wrong "penguininBondage" the ROXY DVD IS the holy grail to me too (although a dvd of the
BONGO FURY stuff would be too!!!) but the holy grail ,by it's very nature, was always unattainable.
This may be the sad parallel in it all...

I mentioned the YELLOW SHARK because firstly I LOVE THIS STUFF and secondly it was sent out
broadcast quality, early nineties. I'm sure the ZFT can put this out properly (with LOTS of rehearsal bonuses)
I'm sure it's just a matter of who owns the rights to this broadcast.

COME ON ZFT!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!
These two items would cover both Zappa markets and ensure a steady cash flow.
Many many people have been waiting so long for these two things.
They are spoken of MORE frequently on blogs around the world than anything else we've seen from you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:11 pm 

BBP wrote:

Mind you this is on 16mm film, BBP - one will end up with film grain the size of my fingernails when blowing up 16mm to cinema screen formats. It's irritating these days to watch vintage newsflashes or series shot in 16mm even on modern wide-screen TVs due to the high granularity of the film material, designed to look good on tiny vacuum tubes way back in 1950, or so, thru to the early 70s, when video took over.

The stuff I've seen so far is absolutely gorgeous, in my very confused opinion, no overdone restauration work (sometimes vintage footage gets killed by good intention), with a nice haptic 16mm sensation for the old folks, who happen to love these warm, brilliant mid-century technologies :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:24 pm 

Why not at least salvage among the footage technically able to make Zappa Decency Quality Standard and make a at least 1-2 = hrs DVD? Better than have it all limited to the teaser posted on Zappa.com back in the day...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 pm 

Frank said in the roxy trailer that they have things to fix and when it's ready it's ready. Dont forget Frank has a conceptual continuity and he can talk to us from the past for the future. :mrgreen:

Post subject: re: 8 mm
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 pm 

buffalo_voice wrote:
...It's irritating these days to watch vintage newsflashes or series shot in 16mm even on modern wide-screen TVs due to the high granularity of the film material, designed to look good on tiny vacuum tubes ...

to: if you don't go to movies and you don't see other people's, why did you decide to make one?
fz: i like movies

to: where do you see them?
fz: i watch the movies i make and i like them; i make little home movies, i've been doing it since about 1958, i started out using 8mm, in fact some of the things in 8mm are going to be blown up and incorporated into the film

to: is the film going to be blown up into 35 eventually?
fz: that's right

to: isn't it going to make the 8mm parts look, uh, strange?
fz: no they'll look real nice, they'll look exactly like they're supposed to