Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm 

For those of us that have nothing constructive to say on the stuff that matters in this forum, I propose we lose what little dignity we have left, and adress the seriousness of this particular question:

if FZ didn't like marijuana the first time, why did he smoke 9 more?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 pm 

I've never had a particularly great time smoking pot, but I've done it about six or so times. I think you just have to be around the right group of friends to get talked into taking a drag.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:46 pm 

he actually smoked 16 joints...

he smoked 2 joints in the morning
he smoked 2 joints at night
he smoked 2 joints in the afternoon [it made him feel alright]
he smoked 2 joints in time of peace
and 2 in time of war
he smoked 2 joints before
he smoked 2 joints and then
he smoked 2 more

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:08 am 

Hahahah slime! I was going to write the same thing! Great cd that one!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:21 am 

Did he smoke the 10 in one night?
if not maybe he ran out of straights(fags)(Cigs) and was gasping.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:31 am 

That song sure has a nasty sidetaste for me Slime... :(

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm 

Frank although he was not a pot smoker new enough about the scene to write Montana.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:25 pm 

Plook wrote:
Frank although he was not a pot smoker new enough about the scene to write Montana.

Explain. Without going back and analyzing the lyrics I thought it was just a silly song about raising dental floss.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:52 pm 

In a way, coffee and cigarettes were Frank's muse.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:34 am 

Back then he was open minded enough to not dismiss something immediately and gave pot a fair shot. Caffeine and nicotine were enough stimulants for him I guess. I can understand, through the years I've given pot a try but I can count the times that I truly enjoyed it on one hand. Still if the good times are rolling and I'm in the mood, I'll give it a go and see if the magic happens. Most of the time it just makes my hair itchy.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:57 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:

Explain. Without going back and analyzing the lyrics I thought it was just a silly song about raising dental floss.

Being from LA we immediately identified this song with a specific line of pot available in the early to mid 70's, the Thai stick which came from Thailand. Every time a naval ship came back from Indonesia the streets would be filled with the King of pot. It consisted of excellent weed grown in Thailand the buds were plucked and held to a piece of bamboo stick about an 1/8th inch square and 6’’s long with a thin string of bamboo that was commonly referred too as “dental floss”, the finish wrapped stick of pot was then “swished around” in a thinned concoction of opium. This opiate would appear as clumps of a wax like substance on the Thai stick. The Thai stick was small about 3 small joints if you were lucky and very expensive so most people would use Zircon Incrusted (roach clip) tweezers when smoking it in order to get ever last bit (it was not uncommon for the last hitter to inhale the final burning ember which is commonly show in pot movies).The song nearly describes the process of creating the tiestick perfectly, Frank was obviously aware of the big push to attempt to create this product in the good old USA, and one of the primary locations mentioned back then to do this was Montana due to their live and let live attitude in that state. But the fake Thai weed was easily identifiable due to color of the pot, the stick was not correct, the dental floss wrap did not look the same and was so poorly done would often be falling off, and they did not have the opium so were sprayed with hash oil to try to reach the intensity of the real product. Honestly this was common knowledge in So Cal and I would be surprised if others do not know about this, anyone???

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:59 am 

its also said that he never drank, but i've seen plenty of pics of him drinking wine and beer

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:01 am 

also, i read that dr. john was trying out for the Mothers and showed up to rehearsal with a joint in his mouth bc he thought they were all fucked up on drugs after listening to their music. needless to say he wasn't asked back...

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 pm 

I don't think it really matters. I've read of some musicians that did anti-drug ads and were doing buckets of coke at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:31 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I don't think it really matters. I've read of some musicians that did anti-drug ads and were doing buckets of coke at the same time.

Buckets of coke?
So then KFC really stands for.....Oooooooh, now I see.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:33 pm 

Frank from my understanding had a strict NO_DRUGS policy, I had heard drinking was frowned upon but I believe some may have been tolerated since one of the band members on a YCDTOSA album mentions "throwing up in my mouth from the whiskey I drank and all that jumping around".

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:47 pm 

cleon wrote:
Did he smoke the 10 in one night?
if not maybe he ran out of straights(fags)(Cigs) and was gasping.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 pm 

Nice Doug thanks in the Real FZ book it was all that time.

so he smoked more than 10!

If he tried the UK rocky(moroccan) which is like sucking diesal from a fuel tank i would understand the sore throat part.

PS some person i can't think said that zappa was handed some solid form hash and he didn't know what it was?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 pm 

Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:

Being from LA we immediately identified this song with a specific line of pot available in the early to mid 70's, the Thai stick which came from Thailand. Every time a naval ship came back from Indonesia the streets would be filled with the King of pot. It consisted of excellent weed grown in Thailand the buds were plucked and held to a piece of bamboo stick about an 1/8th inch square and 6’’s long with a thin string of bamboo that was commonly referred too as “dental floss”, the finish wrapped stick of pot was then “swished around” in a thinned concoction of opium. This opiate would appear as clumps of a wax like substance on the Thai stick. The Thai stick was small about 3 small joints if you were lucky and very expensive so most people would use Zircon Incrusted (roach clip) tweezers when smoking it in order to get ever last bit (it was not uncommon for the last hitter to inhale the final burning ember which is commonly show in pot movies).The song nearly describes the process of creating the tiestick perfectly, Frank was obviously aware of the big push to attempt to create this product in the good old USA, and one of the primary locations mentioned back then to do this was Montana due to their live and let live attitude in that state. But the fake Thai weed was easily identifiable due to color of the pot, the stick was not correct, the dental floss wrap did not look the same and was so poorly done would often be falling off, and they did not have the opium so were sprayed with hash oil to try to reach the intensity of the real product. Honestly this was common knowledge in So Cal and I would be surprised if others do not know about this, anyone???

How many out there know about the Montana Thai stick Nexus...anyone heard this before???

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:04 pm 

yep

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:30 pm 

pedro1 wrote:
yep

Thanks Pedro, I was beginning to believe I was living in bizarro land. It was such an automatic when someone would break out a Thai stick back then to make a reference to the song Montana, and this was just about anywhere I went, it was common knowledge. Anyone else in the oldster crowd remember this???

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:36 pm 

i know cheech called it "tied-stick". "you know, that stuff thats tied to a stick!"

but that is awesome. i never knew the song was about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:02 pm 

Plook wrote:
pedro1 wrote:
yep

Thanks Pedro, I was beginning to believe I was living in bizarro land. It was such an automatic when someone would break out a Thai stick back then to make a reference to the song Montana, and this was just about anywhere I went, it was common knowledge. Anyone else in the oldster crowd remember this???

Yeah , it sux to be this old at times . :wink:

Of course , you being around my age , at least we had the experiance of seeing a REAL Studebaker Hawk in the old days , right Plook ?

And I still remember Mama with her apron and her pad...... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:59 pm 

pedro1 wrote:
Plook wrote:
pedro1 wrote:
yep

Yeah , it sux to be this old at times . :wink:

Of course , you being around my age , at least we had the experiance of seeing a REAL Studebaker Hawk in the old days , right Plook ?

And I still remember Mama with her apron and her pad...... :lol: :lol:

That’s awesome; my sister had a dodge dart with the pushbutton transmission shift on the dash board.

Post subject: re: dental floss
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:18 pm 

Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:

now, that's one of the most far-fetched and stupid posts I've seen on this forum in a long time
(at least, since last week...).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next