Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:29 pm 

I had a girlfriend who always nagged at me whenever I would sing Zappa, or want to listen to him. When I told her I had plans to tattoo his face on my leg, she had PMS. The first time we got drunk together I played "Broken Hearts Are For A-Holes" on my stereo and she tryed to ban me from playing it around her. Anybody else have this problem with a girlfriend or boyfriend? Cuz all I have to say is never again....never again!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:50 pm 

No.
My wife sings along with the songs, with me. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:17 pm 

Any woman that would try to "ban" you from listening to, or doing, anything is a controlling bitch and should be told to deal with it or take a hike. In my opinion.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:22 am 

My ex-bf didn't hate Zappa, but it did go way over his head, along with most of the music I listened to. Consequently he never let me play him any of my music, but he did make me listen to all his reggae (which I really can't stand).
So now Bob Marley has a real bad aftertaste, along with most reggae. But I lived with it, he was a very nice fellow, and we did have music we both liked.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:21 am 

BBP wrote:
My ex-bf didn't hate Zappa, but it did go way over his head, along with most of the music I listened to. Consequently he never let me play him any of my music, but he did make me listen to all his reggae (which I really can't stand).
So now Bob Marley has a real bad aftertaste, along with most reggae. But I lived with it, he was a very nice fellow, and we did have music we both liked.

I don't dislike reggae, but the idea of listening to it all the time, like I know some people like to do, would drive me nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:33 am 

KillUgly wrote:
BBP wrote:

I don't dislike reggae, but the idea of listening to it all the time, like I know some people like to do, would drive me nuts.

Ya' all need to smoke some pot...LOL... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:47 pm 

My lady has "Peaches" and the YCDTOSA vol. 1 version of "Oh No" in her ITunes playlist, but once I was playing Buffalo when we were cuddling, and during "The Real World Extrapolations" she asked me "What the fuck are we listening to!?". Fair enough I guess. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:57 am 

My sis likes just about every version of "Black Napkins" except the "FZ Plays The Music Of FZ" version only because of FZ's humorous intro in which he states, "...the complete woman must also have an asshole."

--Bat :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:07 am 

God no mine doesn't....I try so hard to find just one song she might like "how bout this one?" "or this one?" "OMg listen to this" but no still not there maybe one day......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:55 am 

A few years ago, I went on a road trip with a friend and my then-girlfriend. I had recently made my guy friend a Zappa mix CD, and he insisted playing it against my recommendation because I had a feeling my lady wouldn't be too fond of it. I was right. At our first pit stop, she begged us to change the CD. I don't think I've forced any Zappa on girlfriends since then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:02 pm 

My wife has loved Zappa ever since I turned her on to St. Etienne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:59 pm 

My wife doesn't like it. I don't like a lot of her music. We still get along.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:31 pm 

My first wife could not stand FZ's music. Second wife ( of 13+ years and running )
loves it. She's " Hard Core ". Lucky me :wink:

Actually one of our earlier dates was seeing one of the concerts by the orchestra of our time (cond. Joel Thome), rock group ( several ex-Zappa Band ), Persuasions, ... 1995/04/05 Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall', Portland, Oregon, USA ... Great show, it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:16 pm 

r_a_Z_Z wrote:
My lady has "Peaches" and the YCDTOSA vol. 1 version of "Oh No" in her ITunes playlist, but once I was playing Buffalo when we were cuddling, and during "The Real World Extrapolations" she asked me "What the fuck are we listening to!?". Fair enough I guess. :P

In general, "The Real World Extrapolations" is probably not a great "date song". However, if you can find a gal that enjoys cuddling to "The Real World Extrapolations" I think you should "hold on loosely, but don't let go". Either that or "run like hell".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:58 pm 

She went with me to see Frank Zappa, and I went with her to see Emmylou Harris.

She went with me to see ZPZ, and I went with her to see Nanci Griffith.

She went with me to see The Residents, and I owe her one (maybe two).

No probbalin...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 pm 

me & my old lady are walking down the isle next year to peaches en regalia
how fucking awesome is that ? i suggested it & with no hesitation she said sure thing
she has like 175 zappa songs on her ipod ,basicly all my zappa cd's (most of my zappa is on vinyl),& the other day at work she had to fill out some survey/questionaire so she filled in her favorite music as rock/folk/jazz/frank zappa.

i'm a very lucky man i know , all of my previous girlfriends hated zappa ,even the one who was a musician.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:11 am 

the question should change to: hey girl, does your guy / your male friends hate zappa?

yes they do!!!! they hate frank and his music, probably everything he did!!!! i dunno why it is, they just cant see the beauty in it!!! i tried pretty hard to introduce people to his music, even my bro who has a similar taste in music, doesnt like him.
i just have to mention the name zappa and my friends get jealous and pissed at him... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:18 am 

miss_do wrote:
the question should change to: hey girl, does your guy / your male friends hate zappa?

yes they do!!!! they hate frank and his music, probably everything he did!!!! i dunno why it is, they just cant see the beauty in it!!! i tried pretty hard to introduce people to his music, even my bro who has a similar taste in music, doesnt like him.
i just have to mention the name zappa and my friends get jealous and pissed at him... :shock:
So your experience was just the opposite of what the males are reporting. I only know one person who liked FZ and he lost all interest in him immediately and completely once he swore never to do acid again and never did. But I've been asked by other guys, "Please! Play anything you want while I'm here but just promise me no Zappa, I just can't be in the same room with that shit!"

--Bat :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:28 am 

one of my friends is so jealous of frank it turns in pure hate and the reason is a poster next to my sofa * wow what a crime *
other guys get jealous cuz: i love frank more than them otherwise i wouldnt work 2 jobs to buy all those *useless* records on vinyl, thats not normal and has nothing to do with his music!!!! <== thats what they say :mrgreen:

we girls have the same problems !!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:01 am 

My wife doesn't hate Zappa...She just hates me!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 am 

zappagirl wrote:
Any woman that would try to "ban" you from listening to, or doing, anything is a controlling bitch and should be told to deal with it or take a hike. In my opinion.

I absolutely agree... thats precisely what i ended up doing, after she broke my heart and still tryed to continue to use me. Thanks for the comments guys...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:34 am 

Not counting the fact that I'm single ( :P ), Zappa's very much on the 'ezy listening' side of the spectrum here.
If I really wanted to scare someone off, I'd play her this:

A.R. Penck: Kreuzberg trennt / Im Keller in Wien

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:15 am 

She loves .... Deweezil. :( But, I have her some fresh Frank when I see her again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:41 pm 

I just dusted off my ancient VCR today. It hasn't been touched in a few years, so I am pleased that it still works.

After testing to be sure it wouldn't eat anything important with a crap tape, I decided to watch Does Humor Belong In Music.

My wife absolutely hates watching music stuff on the TV and the sound of those shitty little speakers, the cymbals and stuff give her a headache, but when Frank started singing Dangerous Kitchen she was laughing. After it ended she commented that we need it on a permanent loop in our own kitchen. I think it is the first music video she's ever sat through, Woodstock = no, Song Remains the Same = no, The Wall = no, but Zappa = YES!

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 pm 

thepoodlebites wrote:
My wife doesn't hate Zappa...She just hates me!

Isn't this something that we all have to look forward to.......!