Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:15 pm 

Where did it go?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:36 pm 

I first noticed it gone on Friday or Saturday. I do not know why it has left.
My suspicion is it went away to prevent file sharing. I took it to be yet another mysterious sign of an impending release, but that is pure conjecture.

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:35 pm 

one of the uglies wrote:
...My suspicion is it went away to prevent file sharing...
prevent file sharing Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:55 pm 

one of the uglies wrote:
I first noticed it gone on Friday or Saturday. I do not know why it has left.
My suspicion is it went away to prevent file sharing.

How does that work? How would doing that in chat make that better than somewhere else?
I don't get it either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:57 pm 

B.B.C.

Bring Black Cat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:08 pm 

Perhaps an issue of respect?

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:11 pm 

I don't get it. how do you mean?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm 

Well I assuredly could not have been the only person who saw officially released material having links posted to it in the chat forum. I would assume that there is a logging feature that the owners and admins have access to, so... if there was an amount of links to officially released material being posted into the Zappa.com chat board it would generally be considered disrespectful to the owners of the board as they make their money from officially released material.
We are welcomed as guests, but that doesn't mean we have the right to jump up and take a shit on the dining room table.
Again, this is purely a guess on my part.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:35 pm 

errrr... ok
but who would do that?
I mean 'link to official released material in the chatroom'?
Since July?
When did this happen?
I spent alot of time in there this summer and didn't see anything like that.

The only hunch I have is that it 'cost too much' and not enough people were using it so they dropped it.
But it's just a hunch.
Wait a sec. You said you've seen people posting official stuff.
What do you mean? Links to you tube clips? :|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 pm 

Technically yes, youtube clips. However when discussing youtube clips it is important to acknowledge that there are readily available means of down loading and extracting audio from the clips. So for instance, if someone were to post tracks from say Lumpy Money to youtube within collage videos, the video itself would be irrelevant perhaps to the individual who was simply interested in a free mp3 of the sound file which could easily be extracted from the mp4 video file. This would effectively cut into the saleability of the actual product. Again this is just a guess.

Now, your scenario punknayowned is just as likely, maybe even more so, but the question of the season is...

Trick or Treat?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:12 pm 

yeah, I don't think that's the reason.
If the chatroom were a myspace or facebook with a zillion hits, say
and that's what people did -- go to the chatroom to find music they didn't have--
I'd say your theory would hold more water.
But with so little actual traffic there and clips of stuff other than FZ/ZPZ being just as or more likely to be posted...
plus, the chatroom is for people to chat, and doesn't have the 'convenience' of technology like a napster or limewire built in, it strains credulity.

"Don't let them think for you." --FZ
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 pm 

Fair enough, I was admittedly being exceptionally optimistic. It's a rarity, and you have been privy to it. And it was good for a laugh and wasting a few minutes, I count 2 more days as this is the 29'th. Everyone is expecting to be let down, but I think secretly, even though most won't say it in a pleasant way, we all hope not to be. That is the allure of Trick or Treat?
You never know what will happen, and it's fun and liberating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:44 pm 

I don't let others push my emotions around (they're mine, not someone else's toy), even if the words I may type gives that appearance sometimes. Which is just fine by me.
So again, I'm not sure what you are saying : 'exceptionally optimistic' ?
Which is just fine by me.
But I thought you were suggesting our hosts here (ZFT) were being acutely censorious, which I understand the community generally sees as a negative thing. :?
Really, I don't need to know and this is simply something to talk about in the waiting room

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:54 pm 

Exceptionally optimistic about the impending release that everyone is talking about for Halloween. Will there or won't there be one? = Trick or Treat?
Nevermind, why do I bother.

"Shall we take ourselves seriously?" FZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:12 pm 

Oh! I see. Again, I don't pin my optimism on collective expectation.
It's like giving sympathy to the mentally ill and expecting something out of it.
And I'm not attacking you Mr ugly. Nonono.
You stated a theory and I wished to know if it was based on something I didn't already know.
Just because it wasn't doesn't mean I think any less of you.
The fact that we are having this conversation, means I don't mind at all talking with you or hearing what you have to say.
It's just a good idea to have some idea where people are coming from at the get-go, so I ask questions.
Here, have some candy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI51f9QuLGE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 pm 

Whatever, I was just trying to give you a chuckle, for no reason other than we had conversed in the chat room before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:56 pm 

Maybe I've been reading the news too much.
But one of my pet peeves IS all that 'fan-expectation' stuff.
"I want what I want and how I want it is how I want it and I pay money so I DESERVE it how I want it."
It just pisses people off and encourages other traits that are worse than merely being pissed off.
I'm not saying you're doing that either but
It is a very human trait to believe in things without knowing or even acknowledging what the facts are.
And then people go and throw their ego around saying, "No, THIS is how it is and you should think more highly of me because I say so."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
Maybe I've been reading the news too much.
But one of my pet peeves IS all that 'fan-expectation' stuff.
"I want what I want and how I want it is how I want it and I pay money so I DESERVE it how I want it."
It just pisses people off and encourages other traits that are worse than merely being pissed off.
I'm not saying you're doing that either but
It is a very human trait to believe in things without knowing or even acknowledging what the facts are.
And then people go and throw their ego around saying, "No, THIS is how it is and you should think more highly of me because I say so."

No, I am with you on that, that's why I was attempting to bring a touch of levity to the whole thing. For the most part, I see that a bunch of people are feeling negatively about the releases thus far this year. And some are giving up on there being another. My initial comment was an attempt to keep people cautiously optimistic, hence the bit about pure conjecture.
Lets be honest, we have a 50/50 chance of getting a release that will please people on Halloween (we either will or we won't.) Now some people are thinking it's better to be negative, that way anything released that is of interest to them will be a pleasant surprise. But then there's these other crazy people (I'm including myself) who want to enjoy the anticipation. That way even if there isn't a release we still got to have the fun of anticipation, that sense of wonder.

As far as ego goes, who gives a fuck, everybody has a deluded self perception some of the time. Proof of that is as simple as listening to your own voice on an answering machine, shit, that probably shows how old and out of touch I am, do they even still make answering machines? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 pm 

Again what we have here is a failure to comunicate.....If they pulled the Chat room..They could at least have the balls to tell why...No news here is not good news!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:47 am 

I don't know, it is just speculation, but recently the forum was out of the air for a couple of days. Then, I wondered if it was not a Denial of Service attack. In this case it could have been an Internet Relay Chat... Maybe they disabled it for security reasons...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:40 am 

Or, it could be usage. Not exactly a hot spot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:52 am 

Well I guess I was way off, no new CDs or DVDs. Just a winter ZPZ tour, the announcement of Ryko re-issues, and I think maybe some added orchestral scores.
If these don't thrill you, I apologize if I got your hopes up.

I wonder if the next Zappa.com update will bring us something amazing that will have everyone rejoicing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:58 am 

one of the uglies wrote:
Well I guess I was way off, no new CDs or DVDs. Just a winter ZPZ tour, the announcement of Ryko re-issues, and I think maybe some added orchestral scores.

I wonder if the next Zappa.com update will bring us something amazing that will have everyone rejoicing.
I was really hoping Halloween would have brought us a more exciting announcement! And there hasn't been a new release since Mother's Day and that was just the Mothermania download. What ever happened to Rueben's 4tieth?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:18 pm 

jabba wrote:
one of the uglies wrote:

I was really hoping Halloween would have brought us a more exciting announcement! And there hasn't been a new release since Mother's Day and that was just the Mothermania download. What ever happened to Rueben's 4tieth?

I have no idea, you mentioned Mothermania though, I was kinda hoping for a limited edition CD of that for Halloween. I don't really want the DL, but I'd pay for the CD, even though I have two Vinyl copies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:02 am 

Uh...........what the hell happened to it?
I'm gone a month or 2 and chat is gone...........with no warning?
Next thing you know Isxxc will be allowed to post again... :roll: