Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Allan Holdsworth tour
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:27 am 

I am going to see Allan Holdsworth next month with Terry Bozzio, Tony Levin and Pat Mastellotto. I am very excited to see such a lineup and am wondering whether anyone has seen them as a group :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:15 am 

Since so many people responded to this thread last time, the chances seem low for the upcoming shows. If anyone goes though, lemme know as I'm considering seeing him in April. BTW, he's playing with Chad Wackerman soon.

http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/allanlive.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:45 am 

i see NO dates with Bozzio on his site

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 am 

I haven't attended a gig, but I have several aud recordings and a couple of videos of their 2008-2010 gigs... It is very avantgarde stuff with skillfull musicians, can't go wrong for a Zappa fan...

HoBoLeMa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am 

He's done plenty with Chad.

Has he done much with Ted?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:08 pm 

HoBoLeMa isn't much centered around acrobatic guitar shreding. Most of the time Holdsworth throws accords and textures (almost soundscape-like) and Terry and Mastelloto play very freely with Levin...

Any THRaKaTTaK fans out there? What about the Atavachron album? The first Holdsworth I ever heard (w/ Wackerman)...

'Frank Zappa once called Holdsworth "one of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet"'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I haven't attended a gig, but I have several aud recordings and a couple of videos of their 2008-2010 gigs... It is very avantgarde stuff with skillfull musicians, can't go wrong for a Zappa fan...

HoBoLeMa

are there any commercial recordings available?

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:07 pm 

Don't think hobolema is available commercially. Allan was terrified to play totally improvised music. he did really good at it though. he's super self critical, i guess it's helped him get so good. he's much more structured and his compositions show that yet, his soloing is very expansive and improvisational ala coltrane. When i saw them play, he and tony did this looping stuff as a duet that was just gorgeous. Also allan's totally solo section was off the charts beautiful. it's nice to see he's got a full schedule of touring, he's so good.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:47 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

No, but youtube is your friend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOc_2uNAV7I

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 am 

All -
Thanx for the input on what Holdsworth has been doing. I've found him a mixed bag over the years, sometimes great, sometimes the shoes are too tight. I'd be interested in hearing some of the improvised stuff and will be checking out some of the youtube material and am still interested in seeing him when he comes to Chicago in April.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:52 am 

Stylistically Virgil Donati is about 180 degrees from Chad Wackerman but he has got to be one of the most technically accomplished drummers in the world.
Very excited to attend a show on this tour.
Shank Hall April 3rd!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:

No, but youtube is your friend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOc_2uNAV7I

thanks!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:50 pm 

Eddie Van Halen's guitar hero.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:00 pm 

I've seen Allan twice. Both times with Chad. First in the early '90's with a keyboard player, second about 4-5 years ago without. Great both times. I think the first time I saw him was when I realized you could see some of the best music in the world being within spitting distance of the performers. Arena and amphitheater shows have become increasingly less desirable since then unless I know I have good seats or can be close to the stage. I would have loved to see the HoBoLeMa tour (it was withing striking distance of me) but budget and work got it the way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
I've seen Allan twice. Both times with Chad. First in the early '90's with a keyboard player, second about 4-5 years ago without. Great both times. I think the first time I saw him was when I realized you could see some of the best music in the world being within spitting distance of the performers. Arena and amphitheater shows have become increasingly less desirable since then unless I know I have good seats or can be close to the stage. I would have loved to see the HoBoLeMa tour (it was withing striking distance of me) but budget and work got it the way.

i saw allan in a quartet with chad in the early 90's as well, in a now defunct new jersey club, and within spitting distance. amazing performance.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:08 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

i saw allan in a quartet with chad in the early 90's as well, in a now defunct new jersey club, and within spitting distance. amazing performance.

I saw him in this little club in Sacramento called the Cattle Club which was known at the time for punk rock shows (I don't know if it's still open or not - I doubt it). Allan was standing by the front door of the place while we were going in and he was sitting at the bar having a beer prior to going on. I was standing a few feet in front of Chad's kit during the show.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:20 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

I saw him in this little club in Sacramento called the Cattle Club which was known at the time for punk rock shows (I don't know if it's still open or not - I doubt it). Allan was standing by the front door of the place while we were going in and he was sitting at the bar having a beer prior to going on. I was standing a few feet in front of Chad's kit during the show.

what a great setting! the place i saw him was called club bene. it was only about 20 mins from my house. i also saw the steve morse band there (twice) and al dimeola during the tour for the kiss my axe album. i think they closed in the beginning of the 00's. i've seen many other shows in small venues like that, and it's truly a great way to enjoy music.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:24 pm 

I saw the Holdsworth band 3 yrs ago. They're coming to town again in a few months, but I'll probably pass. I'm not a guitarist, and I know how these shows go. Middle-aged guitar geeks foaming at the mouth over every note, and the only women there are dragged along by their husbands. :)
He was fucking excellent though when I saw him last. I don't think the show could be topped, so I don't need to go and see the same thing again or be let down. He played pretty much all of the TW Lifetime "Believe It" album w/ a bunch of his own tunes throughout. I wasn't expecting much of that album, but was floored that he played alot of that. Wackerman was awesome too of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:51 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I saw the Holdsworth band 3 yrs ago. They're coming to town again in a few months, but I'll probably pass. I'm not a guitarist, and I know how these shows go. Middle-aged guitar geeks foaming at the mouth over every note, and the only women there are dragged along by their husbands. :)
He was fucking excellent though when I saw him last. I don't think the show could be topped, so I don't need to go and see the same thing again or be let down. He played pretty much all of the TW Lifetime "Believe It" album w/ a bunch of his own tunes throughout. I wasn't expecting much of that album, but was floored that he played alot of that. Wackerman was awesome too of course.

Yeah, probably more chicks at the Black Eyed Peas show. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 pm 

Drag a woman to the show. That is a way to prove your machismo. I'll catch Allan any chance i can. He doesn't tour a whole lot these days. He just gets better. I go for the music although the beer and pizza is often pretty decent. definitely don't go to hook up unless your gay.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 am 

Tony Williams Lifetime -- 'Proto-Cosmos' (Allan Holdsworth and Tony Williams, hard to top that)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s2FpZST7N4

Tony Williams Lifetime - Fred (the riff reminds me of Zoot Allure's mood - Allan begins soloing at 3:43)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3Rj4t79v0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 am 

...who knows, maybe we could try to top that:
Vinnie Colaiuta & Allan Holdsworth - Tsunami
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0CTeKuvyJg

Oh, wait, I think we can still top it:
Frank Zappa and Vinnie Colaiuta - YT List selection...

...Is this phaze III of trying to melt this Holdsworth thread into another Zappa thread?

FRANK ZAPPA - TWENTY-ONE (AKA TRANCE-FUSION) 1978

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzKZLIFGZ58

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:48 am 

Has Holdsworth learned how to play melodically yet or does he still just play scales as fast as he can like he's in a race?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:45 pm 

Canard Du Jour wrote:
I am going to see Allan Holdsworth next month with Terry Bozzio, Tony Levin and Pat Mastellotto. :

Are you sitting next to them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 pm 

muziko wrote:
I go for the music although the beer and pizza is often pretty decent. definitely don't go to hook up unless your gay.

Most of the smaller club shows I go to are usually sausage-fests. :mrgreen: Seriously I would recommend seeing Holdsworth to any occasional fan who's into jazz/rock fusion. I really don't know shit about his solo works, never even listened to an entire album. What I saw was great, once was enough for me.
What I mean about the crowds at shows like his or say Scott Henderson, Steve Morse, Mike Stern, etc. is there are alot of jazz snobs/guitar geeks there that are usually pretty annoying. You know, the ones who don't get Fripp or Zappa.