Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:34 am 

A couple of months ago we got into a taxi late one night and the driver had Zappa playing on the stereo!
It was the final few seconds of Son of Mr Green Genes from Hot Rats and it took by suprise so much that it took me couple of seconds to realise what it was and what was going on.

So, where have you been suprised to hear Frank's music?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:54 am 

Any time Frank’s music appears in a motion picture, I am surprised and like you it catches me off guard for a moment. I can only think of one Movie off hand, but I know there are a couple anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 pm 

What movie?!

That jerk that hosts Coast to Coast on weekends plays Peaches as intro music.

Tell Gail.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 pm 

In a grocery store. A muzak version of Stolen Moments.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 pm 

I heard Peaches En Regalia in a pub once and I thought "Hang on, I know that..... what is it?"
Definitely right about the catching off guard thing Plook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
What movie?!

That jerk that hosts Coast to Coast on weekends plays Peaches as intro music.

Tell Gail.

I believe it was called "the Ice Storm", drama about a swaping party during an ice storm on the east coast in the 70's and two teenagers hooking up (not a great film), the song "Dirty Love" is plays at some point during the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:21 pm 

Just found this link all the Zappa in Movies
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953261/
I only seen the ice storm also the film colors

there is a tralier of the ice storm(Whats that smell Musk :mrgreen:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119349/

a new film on the way april 2010
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953261/news

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 pm 

cleon wrote:
Just found this link all the Zappa in Movies
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953261/
I only seen the ice storm also the film colors

there is a tralier of the ice storm(Whats that smell Musk :mrgreen:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119349/

a new film on the way april 2010
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953261/news

I also saw "Things We Lost in the Fire" and remember hearing "Black napkins" and "The Little House I Used To Live In"...I am sure there are others but not many.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:10 pm 

Does Gail know about the Zappa documentary listed in Cleon's post?

Did you know that I'm excited about the prospect of a Zappa movie coming soon?

Did you know I'm coming soon?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 pm 

Watermelon In Easter Hay - final song (during credit roll)

Lately I've heard just a few seconds of Peaches on NPR during the fade out of the some interview with Terry Gross.

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:56 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Watermelon In Easter Hay - final song (during credit roll)

Lately I've heard just a few seconds of Peaches on NPR during the fade out of the some interview with Terry Gross.

I've heard an instrumental version of "Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance" on some fade outs on NPR also.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:30 pm 

Seeing Keith Emerson with the Nice at Leicester De Montfort Hall in 2004 play Lumpy Gravy. I didn't expect that.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:05 am 

when C 4 ( uk ) had just started , i saw a climbing show using " yo mama " as the backing music , while these guys did some amazing climbs , it worked so well

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:18 am 

There's been a few for me:

One was when I was cycling, whilst I was stopped at some traffic lights a car pulled up alongside me & I could hear the last seconds of Zomby Woof coming from the cassette player, it definitely caught me off guard & before I could knock on the guys window to acknowledge FZ the lights changed & the car sped off.

Another one was when I was on the underground & I could hear what I thought was FZ coming from a guy's walkman, so I sidled a little closer & yep it was "Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar", I didn't bother the guy, I just stood next too him enjoying FZ :mrgreen:

The strangest one was I was at a job interview in a print firm & the offices were above where the guys were printing & they had the radio on pretty loud, so I was sitting there being interviewed when suddenly my mind drifted to what was coming up through the floor & it was "Valley Girl" & for the duration of the song it was all I could think of, I did get through the interview & indeed got the job.

But it is weird, because short of hearing it at home FZ hardly ever gets played anywhere, if & when it does come on the Radio or TV it totally shocks me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:29 am 

PG wrote:
There's been a few for me:

One was when I was cycling, whilst I was stopped at some traffic lights a car pulled up alongside me & I could hear the last seconds of Zomby Woof coming from the cassette player, it definitely caught me off guard & before I could knock on the guys window to acknowledge FZ the lights changed & the car sped off.

Another one was when I was on the underground & I could hear what I thought was FZ coming from a guy's walkman, so I sidled a little closer & yep it was "Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar", I didn't bother the guy, I just stood next too him enjoying FZ :mrgreen:

The strangest one was I was at a job interview in a print firm & the offices were above where the guys were printing & they had the radio on pretty loud, so I was sitting there being interviewed when suddenly my mind drifted to what was coming up through the floor & it was "Valley Girl" & for the duration of the song it was all I could think of, I did get through the interview & indeed got the job.

But it is weird, because short of hearing it at home FZ hardly ever gets played anywhere, if & when it does come on the Radio or TV it totally shocks me.

The guy in the car was diplomaticpermissiondeepi going somewhere.
The guy on the subway was diplomaticpermissiondeepi going to work.
The music during the interview was diplomaticpermissiondeepi at work.

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:35 am 

I remember a character in Germany's open-ended Sunday-evening soap 'Lindenstr.' (...Woah, that's how 'coming out of the closet' feels like :P ), who, in order to make him appear as sort of a helpless, unable-to-cope-with-life kind of forgotten son, got depicted as having several overtly high-spec hobbies -- among them the ability 'to listen to Zappa for hours'.

After a few episodes, during which a tiny squeak of late-70s Zappa used to pop up every now and then, together with the obvious paraphernalia (record sleeves, posters, etc.), the character was shelved for one and a half decade, only to be re-introduced as having turned fundamentalist and emerging from an Afghan training camp, planning to assassinate an army officer and his driver, or something...

This is government-subsidized T.V., get the picture?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:03 pm 

Not half an hour ago I was perusing YouTube, watching some British chick smoke Salvia.
As she was taking the hits, the piano intro from The Little House I Used To Live In was playing
in the room.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:07 pm 

espanglish wrote:
Not half an hour ago I was perusing YouTube, watching some British chick smoke Salvia.
As she was taking the hits, the piano intro from The Little House I Used To Live In was playing
in the room.

Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYwqEc__ ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:00 am 

i took my kids to a trained bird show at sea world in ohio. they played "we are not alone" when a giant vulture swooped down to the stage and landed on the trainers arm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 am 

The strangest one was when I was sitting in a bar last spring and heard "Baby Take Your Teeth Out" play over the stereo. I guess an employee with ecclectic taste must have left his or her iPod on shuffle.

The Ron & Fez Show on XM has opened with Zappa a few times. One time they were having a conversation with "Apostrophe" playing in the background.

Oh, and just last week I was watching Red Eye on Fox News (a show I kind of have a love/hate relationship with), and during a discussion about Al Gore, the PMRC briefly came up. My ears perked up when Andy Levy said, "Well, we at least got a good Frank Zappa album out of it."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:16 am 

The now defunct Don & Mike show sidicated for 10+ years out of Washington DC used "Crew Slut" as buffer music in their regular rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am 

...when I as lying in bed, late at night, feeling chest pains at the same time I was listening to my then recently bought Freak Out! CD, hearing the Mothers whispering through my headphones "I am gonna die, seems I am going to die..." during Who Are the Brain Police?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:19 pm 

On the way to Denver, in my car. On an actual radio station, heard "Flakes".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:22 am 

I was watching TV the other day and a commercial came on and the background music definitly sounded like a Zappa song, I should have wrote it down since I now can not remember the commercial or song, but will get the info next time I see it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:29 pm 

Tonight we had friends over for a bbq (and if we keep that up we're gonna run out of friends) and after dinner we were sitting around with beers and listening to Torontos' Q107 Psychedelic Psunday and I recognised a 2 second cut in one of their segue bits. I had to catch it a couple more times but when I came downstairs to reference it I hit on 'The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution' with my second guess. So that's pretty cool. So why don't they ever play any Zappa? Dumb buggers. Maybe I'll write them a long, rambling and pointless email.

And for the record: My revelation received a lukewarm reception at best. In fact I was just asked to sit back down.

Miasma!