Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:14 pm 

Sorry if I'm bumping this topic, a while back I heard Peaches en Regalia while getting a haircut.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:13 am 

Dunno if it's in topic.
A few years ago, my new n+2 manager - a very serious man wearing a tidy suit and tie in a big company - came to my desk in order to introduce himself and announce my new mission due to a customer's contract change.
Then he saw the photograph of FZ right behind me, immediatly he started to sing Cheepnis and to dance in the middle of the open space.
I was speechless. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:31 pm 

Frank live at the palladium halloween show. Everyone was given a frank mask on a stick. People were so noisy during the entire show like they were tripping their brains out on speed and talking uncontrollably. You couldn't make out any of frank's words so the music sufficed and that it did. It was my only frank concert and it was rreally weird.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 pm 

On the PA system before a Smithereens concert, I heard "Crew Slut".

I saw the band moe. do "San Ber'dino" as an encore, which fits their style well and i knew they were fans, but it still came as a surprise.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 am 

Not exactly music but...............In this week's New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle, "The Mothers of Invention" was an answer to a question (Mother's day).

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:44 am 

muziko wrote:
Frank live at the palladium halloween show. Everyone was given a frank mask on a stick. People were so noisy during the entire show like they were tripping their brains out on speed and talking uncontrollably. You couldn't make out any of frank's words so the music sufficed and that it did. It was my only frank concert and it was rreally weird.

hahahahaha :mrgreen: :D wow, far out!! i never heard of that one. there has to be pictures somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:21 pm 

On my first stag do 'The Closer You Are' came on over the crappy tannoy in the crappy Italian restaurant we were in (in Truro!). Until relatively recently I attributed this to coincidence.
Then the penny dropped-maybe my 'best man' gave the tape to the restaurant owner to play at the end of the m eal. ....... I may never know.............

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:58 pm 

I was in a bar in LA on my resent road trips and some guy was telling the relatively young bar tender to show her boobs and she started singing "titties and beer...titties and beer", I damn near did a spit check...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:19 am 

I was watching that "Tooth fairy" movie and the young boy is in love with his teacher and she tells him that he should look for a girl his age, she then mentions one of the girls in his class as a good candidate. The kids response was something like, "ya she's pretty cool...she is the only fifth grader with Frank Zappa on her IPod". My wife and I looked at each and said wow.... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:36 am 

Man, just anytime I hear his music on the radio I get freaked out. (No pun intented) :-)

Usually it's only an edited version of Joe's Garage, but hearing Zappa in on the radio is like someone poked a hole in reality for a minute.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:13 am 

taez555 wrote:
Man, just anytime I hear his music on the radio I get freaked out. (No pun intented) :-)

Usually it's only an edited version of Joe's Garage, but hearing Zappa in on the radio is like someone poked a hole in reality for a minute.

Yeah, even on satellite radio (where it's not quite as rare) I get excited whenever I hear a Zappa song come on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:23 am 

dick buzz :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:53 pm 

Plook wrote:
I was watching that "Tooth fairy" movie and the young boy is in love with his teacher and she tells him that he should look for a girl his age, she then mentions one of the girls in his class as a good candidate. The kids response was something like, "ya she's pretty cool...she is the only fifth grader with Frank Zappa on her IPod". My wife and I looked at each and said wow.... :shock:

never saw it, but in my search for this reference i discovered that the film this line is from was in fact Valentines Day: http://www.sungazette.com/page/content. ... l?nav=5016 3rd paragraph from bottom.
nevertheless, its still incredibly surprising.in a good way :) ..much like biting into something with filling in it...which is probably not a good example to use because this is not always a pleasant experience...and i will stop rambling right about..............now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 am 

i_live_inside_a_drum wrote:
Plook wrote:

never saw it, but in my search for this reference i discovered that the film this line is from was in fact Valentines Day: http://www.sungazette.com/page/content. ... l?nav=5016 3rd paragraph from bottom.
nevertheless, its still incredibly surprising.in a good way :) ..much like biting into something with filling in it...which is probably not a good example to use because this is not always a pleasant experience...and i will stop rambling right about..............now.

You are right, it is easy to mix up those fluff movies my family loves so much...lol...Here is another one, yesterday on Good Day Sacramento (I had it on in the background while I was working), they say "oh and there is a Frank Zappa CD in a display", which was watermelons in easter hay with the Zappa "Strictley Commercial" CD out of the case in the middle. I don't think the news stiffs new what was going on, but whoever set that up certianly did!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:50 am 

Sitting at the pc a minute ago.

Randomly looking at things on youtube - said to my wife think of a word and i'll think of one. Type it into youtube and see what comes up. She said tounge, i said invention youtube came up with this; nice tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egt3ylfziTM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:56 am 

Got dragged to the movie Things we Lost in The Fire"....was taken aback when I heard Zappa and Beefheart both. Only good parts of the flick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:47 am 

Just got in the car and stuck on radio 4 and zappa came out of the stereo!
They were talking about him on some broader program about Lennon, The Beatles and the 60's

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:40 pm 

muziko wrote:

Where can I go to get Frank on a stick? :mrgreen:

While sneaking in to a Mountain Aire concert (outdoors) circa`76-77 to see Marshal Tucker Band & Peter Framton,the hills came alive with the sound of The Torture Never Stops over the PA.Best part of the show! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:53 pm 

I took my son to a Ranger game at MSG, they were down by a goal and they were hussling the puck and it looked like they were going to score so I am at the edge of my seat yelling for blood and my son turns to me and says "wow listen to what they are playing" I wasn't paying attention to the music and was really hoping for the rangers to score. My son was about 15 at the time and wasn't quite a FZ fan but couldn't avoid hearing every Zappa i owned at high volumes throughout his childhood. So I sat back a second expecting to hear some "Let's go Ranger chant" and Lo and behold it was Peaches En Regalia. Imagine that, at a Ranger game and it was my son that picked up on it first. He is now a pretty hard core fan of FZ/Beefheart but doesn't give me the credit for turning him on to it. but who cares.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:23 pm 

I don't watch anymore, but it was very common to hear whenever the Rangers were playing at home, I seem to remember a Stanley Cup, 1994 it seems (I had to look it up).
I imagine that was one of the largest audiences ever to hear an FZ composition.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:55 am 

Not so much a case of hearing Frank's music, but I heard a funny FZ-related story on Jimmy Pardo's Never Not Funny podcast. Pardo's wife, Danielle Koenig (daughter of Star Trek's Walter Koenig), told story about how she and her brother went to the same pre-school as Dweezil and Moon and that their families were friendly with each other. One day, Gail approached her mother and asked if she knew of any guitar teachers that she could send Dweezil to. Jimmy jokingly said something along the lines of, "Gee, one of the top seven greatest guitarists of all time can't teach his kid a few chords?"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:32 am 

In the early years of Saturday Night Live, their house band often played "Peaches En Regalia" as the show cut away to a commercial.

Also, our high school marching band actually used to play a version of "Apostrophe", and I have heard it played a few times by bands on televised football games. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:38 am 

I was listening to my satellite radio while driving and when Zappa comes on it's usually Valley Girl or Dinah Moe Humm (sometimes if I'm lucky Muffin Man will appear) but yesterday Po-Jama People came on!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 am 

In a Volkswagen commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw42AcLNL-o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 am 

About eighteen months ago, a friend who co-hosted a weekly (evening) hour of prose/poetry/toons on the local fm station, was scouting about for anything includeworthy, and, when there's a break in the traffic...I gave him OSFA and suggested Evelyn.
The next afternoon he phoned and said lots of people had commented, including 'where do you ever hear Zappa on the radio these days', and that one of the guys that did an afternoon show had phoned and asked could he borrow the record for next week's 'album of the week'.
I was well chuffed, took in half a dozen more, and made a few suggestions. He played 10 or so songs through the afternoon, and the last hour was One Size in it's entirety.
Someone commenting on the album, told me it was a 'tour de force'. I had my (crappy) radio on about 9 1/2 and it was really swell! :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next