Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:14 pm 

I may have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum. Anyway, back around 1980 I was living in Melbourne and working in a cruddy factory that produced sound proofing configurations to order. We factory hands, all two of us, had to use a glue spray to laminate vinyl sheeting to foam sheeting, or vinyl to lead or whatever. Then we had to cut out shapes according to patterns designed by the engineers who ran the firm and worked alongside us. There was a radio station there, I can't remember what it was, that had no ads and no talk and just a heap of albums that were played through in their entirety until they ran out and then started again. One day at work, all of a sudden, that iconic drum roll at the start of Peaches on Hot Rats came on, quite a nice surprise for me.

The factory was a bit hilarious, no safety gear and I started getting a bit sick from the glue. One of the engineers said the glue was safe, and said I should just go check out the factory down the road where they used the same glue, so I did. It was like walking into an insane asylum and the engineer himself was mighty strange, so I visited a doctor who recommended I get away from it, so that was the end of that short lived adventure.

Last edited by polydigm on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:27 am 

Years ago I was in the south of India, the city was Madras, now called Chennai.
I saw a small record shop so I went in.
It was the first time I ever saw a record shop in India.
The retailer was playing a cassette of Apostrophe'.
It was the only Zappa item in this shop.
I wanted to buy the cassette (a pretty rare edition) but I thought:
"I already have this, it's better to give someone else the opportunity to know FZ."
So I bought some classical indian music, as suggested by the retailer (very good ones).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm 

I've heard on local radio stations bobby brown, 2 times! :mrgreen:

oh, and my mobile rings zappa tunes all over europe, fuck yeah :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:11 am 

Peaches en Regalia on Come Dine With Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 pm 

"oh No" instrumental version on Muzak in the early 1990's....at a local hospital,too!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:08 pm 

Here is a good one from 2 weeks ago when I was at a team meeting at our North American Headquarters in Plano Texas....it needs some set-up but hang in...we were in an auditorium with about 50+ people discussing our organization with in the company and how we need to go out and inspect our subcontractor facilities to make sure they have what they say they have (apparently no one has ever done this, go figure) so they say that if we are auditing in a city where a sub is supposed to have a facility they want us to go by and I asked " so you want us to make sure they are working out of a 40,000 square foot building and not Joe’s garage?”, they guy next to me leans over and whispers in my ear “Frank Zappa”, I nearly shit my pants.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:44 am 

Back in the summer of 2007 while I was living in Denver I heard Alice Cooper (he DJ'ed a syndicated evening radio show that played on one of the local stations) play Zappa "Hungry Freaks Daddy".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 am 

Saw a car on the road today with a bumper sticker that simply said "Zappa" on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:44 am 

I was listening to the Don Geronimo, which broadcasts from Sacramento (he used to have one of the most popular Nationally broadcast shows from Washington DC but left radio for several years after his wife of 20 years was killed in a car accident) where he re-started a long radio carrier on the east Coast and Chicago which included the first morning zoo and being the first on the edge radio show which was copied by Howard Stern and many others. Well he breaks out some rare Batman Albums from the 60's and says the song by Robin Burt Ward was written and produced by the great Frank Zappa...I was going ...Wa wa What! Looked it up on line and could only find this:
"just about every Batman related record (including impossible to find records such as the Burt Ward/Frank Zappa oddity Boy Wonder I Love You"

Does anyone know anything about this??? Yes he played it and it has a very FZ
:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 am 

Plook wrote:
I was listening to the Don Geronimo, which broadcasts from Sacramento (he used to have one of the most popular Nationally broadcast shows from Washington DC but left radio for several years after his wife of 20 years was killed in a car accident) where he re-started a long radio carrier on the east Coast and Chicago which included the first morning zoo and being the first on the edge radio show which was copied by Howard Stern and many others. Well he breaks out some rare Batman Albums from the 60's and says the song by Robin Burt Ward was written and produced by the great Frank Zappa...I was going ...Wa wa What! Looked it up on line and could only find this:
"just about every Batman related record (including impossible to find records such as the Burt Ward/Frank Zappa oddity Boy Wonder I Love You"

Does anyone know anything about this??? Yes he played it and it has a very FZ

Its one of those tunes that tests the mettle of the FZ Completist due to sounding pretty awful. Although, its a bit better than the flip side Orange Colored Sky.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:38 am 

For the Batman-inclined, here's a great one with Sun Ra, The Blues Project, Al Kooper and others all playing together...

(Produced by Tom Wilson)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:41 pm 

"Hi kids, it's me, your pal The Boy Wonder..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjoLQbJCPTI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 am 

I heard dancin fool on norwegian radio a while ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:59 pm 

I heard 'The Torture Never Stops' in a Notting Hill
restaurant called 'Tarts'!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:44 pm 

Bit of a backstory here....Mom grew up in Union City,PA and is on a page on FaceBook about said town. Anyway, she gets in touch with one of the people there who made a DVD+R with historical pics and such. So, she orders it and it comes in the mail yesterday. We're watching, enjoying the slideshow and the soundtrack (In The Mood, Foggy Mountain Breakdown), when suddenly, on comes an instrumental version of Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance! :shock: Wowzers. I liked it, had a spiffy jazz violin added and Hammond organ solo in it. Wish I knew who did it, real snazzy version. I didn't say anything for a bit, then turned to Mom and said, "I hate to ruin this for you, but that's a Frank Zappa song!" She laughed about it, and went on with the movie. It worked well, and even my Mom and Dad liked the tune. The only other bit of music that suprized me on it was the instrumental intro to Tommy by The Who! Obviously, I didn't tell Mom the name of the Zappa music. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 am 

Watched the dull Dutch comedy Flodder when I heard the opening chords of Dirty Love.
That was weird.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:53 am 

Paul Schaeffer plays Peaches occasionally, on Letterman. Heard it just last week.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:48 am 

Not really a Zappa sighting, but while watching VH1 Classic, I saw a cheesy video for Todd Rundgren's "Bang on the Drum All Day," and singing backup was none other than Flo & Eddie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:20 am 

I was watching National Geographic network when they did a lengthy segment on a specific kind of mountain climbing that is probably as dangerous as mountain climbing gets. Scaling a mountain side that was just about as vertical as a mountain side gets with no gear at all -- just shirt pants and shoes -- is frightening and you have to wonder if anyone who does it is insane, brave or suicidal.

But for this climber there was an older climber who quit while he was still alive and told the interviewer just what was happening and when, so when the climber reached a split in the rock, about four to five feet wide, it was called "the point of no return", there was just no going back.

Curiously and matter-of-factly the older climber came out and said, "Yep! That's it. He's only got one way to finish, only one route possible now." At that point the interviewer asked, "Really? That was the absolutely definitive point? No options left?" the observing older climber said, "Yep! Sure is! That's the crux of the biscuit right there!"

Well, I thought it was a unique phrase and one that had its origins with FZ unless there's some other explanation. Did anyone see that or, more precisely, is there another origin for, "the crux of the biscuit?" I can't find any other origin for it.

Hey, I'll just make a point of working it in my speech consciously until I'm no longer aware of saying it! :wink:

--Bat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 am 

I found several referances on a Google search and they all had answers like this:

What does this mean? The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
it's from a frank zappa song. the crux of the biscuit means the heart of the matter. he had an album called "apostrophe" so maybe it was an homage to his own album!! he had the whole line in a song on the album. i am not a fan of his, i just looked it up because i loved the question. and it was also suggested somewhere that crux of the biscuit is a combined phrase from the crust of the biscuit and crux of the matter...meaning that the crust of the biscuit is all someone left you-nothing, etc but crux of the matter is the important part. so there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:21 am 

Plook wrote:
I found several referances on a Google search and they all had answers like this:

it's from a frank zappa song. the crux of the biscuit means the heart of the matter. he had an album called "apostrophe" so maybe it was an homage to his own album!! he had the whole line in a song on the album. i am not a fan of his, i just looked it up because i loved the question. and it was also suggested somewhere that crux of the biscuit is a combined phrase from the crust of the biscuit and crux of the matter...meaning that the crust of the biscuit is all someone left you-nothing, etc but crux of the matter is the important part. so there you go.

Aha! Now what I don't know is if this guy got it from hearing "Apostrophe(')" or it just got spread around and he was one to pick up on it or if he heard it first from the original source. (It's my bet he heard it sung first and he and some locals might have decided to perpetuate it!)

--Bat :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:54 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Plook wrote:

Aha! Now what I don't know is if this guy got it from hearing "Apostrophe(')" or it just got spread around and he was one to pick up on it or if he heard it first from the original source. (It's my bet he heard it sung first and he and some locals might have decided to perpetuate it!)

Howdy Bat. The first time I heard that saying was when I bought Apostrophe ('). Never heard it before so I don't know it's orgin. FZ's mind?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:15 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Plook wrote:

This was a site where someone asks a question and the most frequent answer is chossen (see where it says Best answer choossen by Voters), so it doesn't seem to be a single source.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:04 pm 

One of the first times i went into a liquor store next to my apartment that i recently moved into. I was buying some beer when i saw behind the employee at the register an empty beer bottle with the cover of Lumpy Gravy on the front! It took me a minute to actually realize it was Zappa, then me and the guy hit it off, always nice to randomly meet other Zappa fans :) Also, the next time i went in there he was playing the Persuasions doing a cover of We're Only in it for the Money. It's my favorite liquor store.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:47 pm 

Uncle_Remus1974 wrote:
One of the first times i went into a liquor store next to my apartment that i recently moved into. I was buying some beer when i saw behind the employee at the register an empty beer bottle with the cover of Lumpy Gravy on the front! It took me a minute to actually realize it was Zappa, then me and the guy hit it off, always nice to randomly meet other Zappa fans :) Also, the next time i went in there he was playing the Persuasions doing a cover of We're Only in it for the Money. It's my favorite liquor store.

Where is this dream of a liquor store? The empty bottle of beer with FZ on bottle was most likely a Lagunitas Brewing Co.beer.Last year they had a promo of '40yrs ago FZ released this album',with said album cover on the beer bottle.Freak Out,Absolutely Free,ect.This was done with the ZFT blessings.That liquor store sounds like my kind of place. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next