Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 pm 

I was driving home with my wife and kids after having visited my mother and I noticed a picture of Zappa out of the corner of my eye. It was actually amongst a collection of pictures on a billboard associated with the local council of Charles Sturt. They have several billboards around and about the Charles Sturt council area and was really surprised to see FZ on one of them. The original pic here was badly focussed, and I've finally got a better one. Maybe other members here have similar examples from their home towns. I'm from Adelaide, South Australia.

Last edited by polydigm on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 am 

In my dirty old hometown, someone started a bar called "Zappa's". Looked a bit like this :arrow:

Bar went bust pretty fast...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 am 

Just bumping this because I finally got a good quality picture of the billboard I found with FZ on it. Check out the opening post above.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:12 am 

Cool. The stuff on the bottom looks like a DNA microarray...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:14 pm 

I took this photo today. The Grande Mothers are coming to town.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:58 am 

I love the Grandmothers, but they sort of water down the message when they sell their stuff by iconic Zappa images that have nothing to do with the spirit of the original MoI. Have a nice show, though!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 am 

Location: on the ether from www.deliciousagony.com only fair wave left methinks
On first sight!

and on second one too.

Then I switched on back to the main page and the next thing's been a shout from the captain, "Ay." Because it's being hanging there sort of right in front of me, scilicet, with other words namely a) that poster draws the most attraction I'd wager, so super for spreading the news the circus is in town and b) and now listen peoples and Pe, it is all up for us to refresh the spirit of the MoI, those times and whatnot. Make space for more trippin's so to say. Most of all do tell us your ideas oh pleasure-tyes. Me for example have tried and applied all, fun and wonder, science and knowledge, emotions, free choice and very nice comments. Now you, we is completely listening organs and curious. Please give a few clues to what they think is hilariously wise, entertaining and then some. ...methinks it might be hiding in the kind of tone in what we are speaking, and enough insight, energy and freak will. What yer think oy?-) ...who listens to Quadrophenia then..

ya wa? the mewzick's pretty spectacular, geez. ..where's me chic cap swaggering to? rather mad. If only others would hark. Next phing on the wish-list gonna be a web-capable mobile iets, an hify-amp powered by solar-panels and propellers on that drat hat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:55 am 

A while ago (in the 80's) when I was working in a cheesy printing company I printed some thumbnail size stickers, about 500 in all of the Baby Snakes face. Then on the weekend me and a couple of mates went on a pub crawl that ended up at King's Cross in Sydney, our mission for the night was to stick'em and we went through most of them, it was a great night!. We scored some speed at the Cross and found our way home like Hansel and Gretal following Frank till we got home. Fuck that would be cool to start something like that, get all the willing Zappa Freaks across the globe to graffiti there home town, take pictures and photo's and stick on the net. The Frank Zappa Memorial Graffiti BBQ, bring your own source.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:45 pm 

Not my home town, but some graffiti on a disused bridge in Nottinghamshire in the UK.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:18 pm 

There's an FZ mural on the side of a building in Tucson, Arizona. The guy's got staying power, that's for sure!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:06 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
There's an FZ mural on the side of a building in Tucson, Arizona. The guy's got staying power, that's for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:29 pm 

two places in Toronto that are long gone:

one was a bar at the corner of Keele and Rogers with a wall mural depicting many 'classic rock' icons, Frank was one of them.

the other was Abba to Zappa, a decent used record shop at Bathurst/Dupont. owner had a sweet huge Sheik Yerbouti poster on the wall that sadly was not for sale. he eventually moved the store to Church Street, but it didn't survive there very long.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:35 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

That's the one! A block or two away from a great Guatamalan restaurant.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:42 pm 

I was thinking of loaning an FZ cassette to someone from my hometown.