Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Tribute Band Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:56 pm 

It seems like tribute bands are big business these days. Why, one of my favorite touring bands is a tribute band. It seems like every weekend there is at least one tribute band playing in my little town. The idea of this thread is to post the name of a tribute band that you're aware of (limit one per post). Usually, the tribute band's name is a play on the original band's name or one of their famous songs. So, you don't need to elaborate unless you feel it is necessary or it will add to the story. I'll start.

Steelin' Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 pm 

One of my favorites is the White Album Ensemble, a group of musical heavyweights from the Monterey/Santa Cruz area. Their original plan was to perform The Beatles' White Album once in its entirety (minus Revolution 9). It was so popular that they did it again the next year. Now - eight years later - they're still doing it.

They recently appeared on American Idol, backing James Durbin as he was singing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Durbin's performed with them a few times over the past couple years...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:43 am 

You're really showing the depth of your knowledge MTF. Going from Psycotic Pineapple to American Idol secrets, always something.

Anyway, I saw a great Tribute Band not too long ago, This Must Be the Band.

I saw them do the entire Remain in Light album, then mix it up for the 2nd set. They brought in, I think, a total of 18 musicicans to get all the parts of RIL. Fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 am 

Saw Get the Led Out at Penn's Peak in Jim Thorpe. Awesome Zeppelin sets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 pm 

There's a band around Chicago (at least I think it's just local) that calls itself TRIBUTOSAURUS. Every few weeks they become a tribute band for a different artist. They draw decent sized crowds. Haven't seen them, but they are reported pretty good. They have not covered FZ, yet.....

And then there's Lez Zeppelin.....

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm 

Around my neck of the woods, there's Zepparella, an all-female Zep tribute band. Haven't seen them though.