Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:23 pm 

and America aint one of 'em.........

The Netherlands was 5th and they have had semi legal pot for over 35 years.

All I need is a good gig at 50,000 Euros a year, a few fellow Zappa fans for friends and I'd move there in a heartbeat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43287918/ns ... ?gt1=43001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 am 

I would take 50 euros a year any time !!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 am 

FRANCE (in the country)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:21 pm 

Kauai...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:44 am 

Caputh wrote:
FRANCE (in the country)

I could not agree more!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:55 am 

Western Pennsylvania for SO MANY reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 am 

where are you at if you live in western pa?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:56 pm 

I said this somewhere else, but Yuba City, CA, home of Plook and formerly me, was once listed (sometime in the 90's) as the worst place to live in the U.S. by Rand McNally. I think Bill Frisell even named an instrumental "YubaCity" because of this dubious fact. But if you know the really cool joints to hang out in, like Plook, it's a pretty happenin' place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:44 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
I said this somewhere else, but Yuba City, CA, home of Plook and formerly me, was once listed (sometime in the 90's) as the worst place to live in the U.S. by Rand McNally. I think Bill Frisell even named an instrumental "YubaCity" because of this dubious fact. But if you know the really cool joints to hang out in, like Plook, it's a pretty happenin' place.

With a little research the track "Yuba City" from Bill Frisell's 1989 album "Is That You?" was actually written by the album's producer, Wayne Horvitz, who also performed on the album. The timing of the album's release has me wondering if it was before the Rand McNally recognition. More research.

Last edited by KillUgly on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:50 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

With a little research the track "Yuba City" from Bill Frisell's 1989 album "Is That You?" was actually written by the album's producer, Wayne Horvitz, who also performed on the album. The timing of the album's release has me wondering if it before the Rand McNally recognition. More research.

OK. The Rand McNally thing happened in 1985 so the timing of the album does make sense. Yuba City also was the home of Juan Corona, one of America's most notorious mass murderers. That happened in the early '70's I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:20 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Caputh wrote:
FRANCE (in the country)

I could not agree more!!!

Just returned from 2 weeks there and I completely agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:10 am 

I say BC, Canada (one of the few places I actually know on Earth)...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 am 

Hey i went too France once Perpignan it was the best place i'd say i ever been.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 am 

Reeders, Pennsylvania............. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am 

cleon wrote:

I was in Paris in 2007 and the only asshole I met there was from New Jersey.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 pm 

bugler wrote:
cleon wrote:

I was in Paris in 2007 and the only asshole I met there was from New Jersey.
you must had gone galoot season :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Right along the river. I can also drive 10 minutes and canoe in a beautiful lake where it's quiet
except for all the birds singing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

With a little research the track "Yuba City" from Bill Frisell's 1989 album "Is That You?" was actually written by the album's producer, Wayne Horvitz, who also performed on the album. The timing of the album's release has me wondering if it before the Rand McNally recognition. More research.

OK. The Rand McNally thing happened in 1985 so the timing of the album does make sense. Yuba City also was the home of Juan Corona, one of America's most notorious mass murderers. That happened in the early '70's I believe.

If you know how to work this town and its location relative to the rest of Northern California, it is the sweet spot, you gottin like driven though and that I do not mind at all... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:02 pm 

I remember the yuba city bus crash in Martinez. 28 kids died when they flew from an off ramp. I was in 8th grade and it was the 2nd to last day of school so we decided to cut half the day and goof around. there were helicopters everywhere and lots of sirens. My friend Darren's dad was a fireman at the scene.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I remember the yuba city bus crash in Martinez. 28 kids died when they flew from an off ramp. I was in 8th grade and it was the 2nd to last day of school so we decided to cut half the day and goof around. there were helicopters everywhere and lots of sirens. My friend Darren's dad was a fireman at the scene.

I remember hearing about the bus crash too. There were still reverberations from that when I started living and working there in 1990. There was also a big flood that killed some people sometime in YC's past. Also, right around New Year's in 1997 there was a threat of another flood (YC is right by the Feather River and protected by levees) and the whole town was evacuated. My son was due to be born at that time so we were cruising around neighboring towns looking for alternate hospitals. Fortunately, my son waited until we were able to return to YC.

I'm not dissing YC, though. Like Plook says it's centrally located between the SF Bay area and Reno/Tahoe and close to Sacramento. It's actually a pretty decent valley town. When Rand McNally made that rating way back when they were considering the whole area including Marysville, and worse, Olivehurst which are some pretty poverty-stricken areas. Besides I can't really talk, I'm from Oroville, which has a pretty bad reputation in it's own right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:26 am 

espanglish wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Right along the river. I can also drive 10 minutes and canoe in a beautiful lake where it's quiet

I'm from Indiana, pa, my family moved into the area around 1764. I love it out there but no job for me at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:39 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
espanglish wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

I'm from Indiana, pa, my family moved into the area around 1764. I love it out there but no job for me at this time.

Things are tough all over. Don't let it get you down too much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:

I remember hearing about the bus crash too. There were still reverberations from that when I started living and working there in 1990. There was also a big flood that killed some people sometime in YC's past. Also, right around New Year's in 1997 there was a threat of another flood (YC is right by the Feather River and protected by levees) and the whole town was evacuated. My son was due to be born at that time so we were cruising around neighboring towns looking for alternate hospitals. Fortunately, my son waited until we were able to return to YC.

I'm not dissing YC, though. Like Plook says it's centrally located between the SF Bay area and Reno/Tahoe and close to Sacramento. It's actually a pretty decent valley town. When Rand McNally made that rating way back when they were considering the whole area including Marysville, and worse, Olivehurst which are some pretty poverty-stricken areas. Besides I can't really talk, I'm from Oroville, which has a pretty bad reputation in it's own right.

They just had an anniversary Memorial for the bus crash and dedicated a plack at the site...I was stuck in SF working when they evacuated the town my family stayed with some friends by the Sutter Buttes, the town was a gost town. As to the town and its low rating that is all due to the lack of local jobs, if I wasn't a road dog in Telecom I may be able to get a job locally but for really low pay. The really good part is the area I live in is really nice, well kept, most everyone has good jobs and they are resposible so we do not have a lot of homes that have been repoed. When one does go on the market it usually sales quick because of how good an area it is. Also all the city goverment, law enforcment, and fire department people live here so the crime rate is almost nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:17 am 

Plook wrote:
...I was stuck in SF working when they evacuated the town my family stayed with some friends by the Sutter Buttes, the town was a gost town.

Urgh, GOSTs - I hate them. In German they are the regulations for graduation from school (Gymnasiale Oberstufen Anordnungen). But I do love Plook's spelling! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 am 

Espanglish, I am doing fine , I was just wondering wht you do for work and what river? the Monongahela? I know many folks out there.. There use to be good fishing in yellow creek res, go penn state.