The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
It all sucks, no list from me... :smoke:

Thats gravity Plook. :mrgreen:

Crap. You travel more than most of us. Is there no hope out there, Oh great Plookster?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:51 am 

KillUgly2 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
It all sucks, no list from me... :smoke:

Thats gravity Plook. :mrgreen:

Crap. You travel more than most of us. Is there no hope out there, Oh great Plookster?

No Hope For You!

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:19 am 

After a recent visit to England, I did rather think it might be nice to live in Bristol again. Very hilly, interesting Georgian houses and fairly good restaurants. Also, one gets that English politeness thing which they do so well (e.g. "Do you know where Charlotte Street is?" "Yes, I'm going that way, I'll show you"). If temperatures were always they way they were in October, I'd seriously consider it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:26 pm 

Caputh wrote:
After a recent visit to England, I did rather think it might be nice to live in Bristol again ... If temperatures were always the way they were in October, I'd seriously consider it.
I was in the UK Xmas 2010 with temperatures varying around zero celsius. I had a great time. It was 41° C here yesterday ... I hate it but I'm coping. Heading for 40° C today as well, before a cooler change predicted late evening. We're here in Adelaide for a few more years yet, but moving back to the UK later on is definitely on the cards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm 

Caputh wrote:
After a recent visit to England, I did rather think it might be nice to live in Bristol again. Very hilly, interesting Georgian houses and fairly good restaurants. Also, one gets that English politeness thing which they do so well (e.g. "Do you know where Charlotte Street is?" "Yes, I'm going that way, I'll show you"). If temperatures were always they way they were in October, I'd seriously consider it.

I'm envious of my European (and otherwordly) friends. Having lived in Northern California all my life with travel limited to San Diego to the south, Denver to the east (a one time business trip) and Southern Oregon to the north I am probably a little overly impressed with anyone who has an accent (different from mine) or who I suspect is culturally different.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:43 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
I'm envious of my European (and otherwordly) friends. Having lived in Northern California all my life with travel limited to San Diego to the south, Denver to the east (a one time business trip) and Southern Oregon to the north I am probably a little overly impressed with anyone who has an accent (different from mine) or who I suspect is culturally different.

Ja, it's gut!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:58 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
Caputh wrote:

No wonder when we met,you looked at me like I was some kind of Korla Phlankton kinda guy. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:
Caputh wrote:

No wonder when we met,you looked at me like I was some kind of Korla Phlankton kinda guy. :mrgreen:

I thought you were from Ork? :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:18 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

Ja, it's gut!

Truth is, I could relate to the movie "Cedar Rapids" just a little too much.
http://youtu.be/d7LkZwnfwfc
The Dean Ziegler character is a conglomerate of Plook and Kapt. Kiirk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:51 pm 

Having grown up from the age of 5 in Australia and spent most of my adult life here, my context is a country that doesn't have a great deal of apparent history. With all due respect to the native peoples of Australia, their history is just a very narrow slice of the types of history you can find all over Europe. And the history of European settlement here doesn't go very far back. In Europe, there's prehistory with cave paintings and standing stones and so on but you can find signs of every other aspect of history in between then and now.

The first time I went to the UK as an adult I was overwhelmed by the enormity of history there. I'm not a full on tourist or anything close to it, but I like that part of being in Europe. I'm very much for not getting bogged down in the past but at the same time not losing a sense of history - we are what we have become because of it. I'm not sure there are any Europeans that impress me because of it, though. In fact, in general, I think they're only too willing to repeat the mistakes of their past.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:05 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Having grown up from the age of 5 in Australia and spent most of my adult life here, my context is a country that doesn't have a great deal of apparent history. With all due respect to the native peoples of Australia, their history is just a very narrow slice of the types of history you can find all over Europe. And the history of European settlement here doesn't go very far back. In Europe, there's prehistory with cave paintings and standing stones and so on but you can find signs of every other aspect of history in between then and now.

The first time I went to the UK as an adult I was overwhelmed by the enormity of history there. I'm not a full on tourist or anything close to it, but I like that part of being in Europe. I'm very much for not getting bogged down in the past but at the same time not losing a sense of history - we are what we have become because of it. I'm not sure there are any Europeans that impress me because of it, though. In fact, in general, I think they're only too willing to repeat the mistakes of their past.

I suppose that's similar to my sense of inferiority having grown up where I have. White people have only been around here a couple hundred years (Oh shit, I should just shut up now. A white man can't open his mouth without sounding like a racist).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:19 pm 

Hey, KU2, that is exactly what I hate about political correctness. Don't worry about it, I know what you mean. Why do you think I prefaced that sentence above with "All due respect blah blah". The number of arguments I've gotten into in related situations. Just because I use technical terms like "primitive communism" and "barbarism" doesn't mean I'm diminishing the lives of Australia's native people.

As a person of Western European descent I can eventually trace my history back to people who lived just like the native people of Australia. Just because I refer to the history in between as progress doesn't mean I'm disrespecting them. Just because I point out that they're not actually native to Australia and that you can trace back to the time of their arrival in Australia from somewhere else, doesn't mean ... blah blah. Walking on eggshells we are going to get nowhere and very slowly to boot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:01 pm 

a 10-sided figure, every day a different side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 am 

KillUgly2 wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

Ja, it's gut!

Truth is, I could relate to the movie "Cedar Rapids" just a little too much.
http://youtu.be/d7LkZwnfwfc
The Dean Ziegler character is a conglomerate of Plook and Kapt. Kiirk.

LOL... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:41 am 

polydigm wrote:
Having grown up from the age of 5 in Australia and spent most of my adult life here, my context is a country that doesn't have a great deal of apparent history. With all due respect to the native peoples of Australia, their history is just a very narrow slice of the types of history you can find all over Europe. And the history of European settlement here doesn't go very far back.

I must admit that's always been my given excuse for never visiting anywhere outside of Europe that was a former colony of a Europen power - no history. On the other hand, I suppose I'm being very small-minded and I really should be more open, so this year I've made a resolution to change my mind. The real reason, in any case is - I hate flying.