Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mitch Mitchell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:49 am 

Mitch was the first drummer that I ever appreciated and he was a huge influence on me when I first took up the drums.

Looking at early footage of him he was so energetic and really was astonishing to watch. I seem to remember in his book that he celebrated his 21st birthday around the time of the bands appearance at the Monterey pop festival (June ’67).

Now if you look at his performance at the Isle of Wight he is like a different person. I can understand that his style changed. Indeed Hendrix himself changed and Mitch was bound to adapt to that and mature in his own way. Also he moved to a double bass drum kit.
Whilst I still think that his drumming through say the posthumous release Cry of Love is excellent I can’t help but feel that he looked pretty frail around that time.

I know that they all did drugs blah, blah, blah but was Mitch ill around this time?
He looks very distant at the ’70 Isle of Wight performance, even bored.
He’s also really skinny. There’s an interview from the very 70’s on youtube and he just doesn’t sound quite with it if you know what I mean. He also comes across pretty strange on the snippet of an interview that appears on the Warner Bros film from ’73.

Does anyone know anything about him from this time that might have to do with what I’m talking about?