Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:32 pm 

What opening acts have you seen? The worst, the best?

The best for me is probably John Mayall opening for ZZTop. I don't think most of the crowd knew who he was, but by the time his set was over he won them over.

Worst was probably Johnnie, who opened for Black Sabbath.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:52 pm 

Best?
A group I had never heard of, opening for Wishbone Ash, back in 1972. They were called Gentle Giant. They got a standing ovation. Never saw an opening act get that before (or since).

Worst?
I'm sure I've forgotten any bad opening acts (like the stand-up comic who opened for Steppenwolf. A comedian? Really??), but, sitting through BREWER AND SHIPLEY, before Supertramp came on was a drag.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:59 pm 

I saw a strange matchup in October, 1974 at Shady Grove Music Fair, which was a small enclosed theater in-the-round with a rotating stage, located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Martin Mull and his Talking Furniture opened for Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. Bruce had released two albums at the time. I recorded most of Springsteen's show on a portable Sony cassette player. 25 years later, I dusted the tape off and transferred it to cd at perfect pitch. Some fuckwad eventually got his hands on a copy, and commercially bootlegged the recording.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:46 am 

The opening act (or one of the first two) at the Reading Festival 1981 - Long Tall Shorty (mod band).
Really terrible, but highly fucking memorable.
"Anyway, we were now ready to go and for some bizarre reason that I have never understood to this day, I was looking out across the field and right at the back, a few hundred feet away, I saw a biker swinging a chain around his head and I muttered something like, "what a bunch of wankers" into the mic as an intro to the next song. As we started playing, a few things were lobbed at us and we decided to have a bit of fun. In fact before we went on, we had decided if we weren't going to go down well, we'd try and incite a bit of crowd unrest so as to be remembered for SOMETHING! I must point out at this stage, we were the youngest band to have ever played the Festival until then and we were all quite fiesty in those days.
Back to the gig though and to incur the wrath of the crowd, our drummer came to the front of the stage, I got onto the drums and we started doing a piss take of Paranoid by Black Sabbath. That truly had an effect and we were now being pelted with all sorts of stuff, cider bottles, stones and flints, half a brick (!!) and all manner of other missiles. Our bass player got hit on the shoulder by a wrapped Cornish Pasty so I jumped out from the drums and grabbed it for my lunch later in the day. After the song finished which to be honest none of us really knew, the sound of the missiles hitting the stage was amazing and all the stagehands had run out of the firing line, in fact when we came off a little later, the majority of them were standing in the backstage area to avoid getting hit. As a little encore and to try and wind the crowd up a bit more, we started the chords to the Who's, Substitute and then all grabbed mic's singing, We Are The Mods, while lobbing things back into the crowd. It sounds childish now but our band had an average age of about 16 or 17, but it was a bloody good laugh at the time!
While all this was going on, Girlschool had a massive Neon Sign at the back of the stage on this hydraulic thing and the glass was getting smashed and a band called .38 Special had one of those old Hammond Organ things on very spindly legs. I remember seeing that collapse, the legs literally folded out and it fell to the stage in a cloud of dust. We really, truly had a Mods/Rockers pitched battle and thought it was great fun and hopefully anyone who was there who was pelting us enjoyed themselves too.
When we came off stage and back down the ramp to the backstage bit, we saw all these stage hands cowering down the bottom and a couple of them who used to work at the Marquee, exchanged a few laughs with us before heading back up to the stage to clear up the mess. Our manager came rushing up with tears in his eyes, he was really crying his eyes out, but a few reporters, one from Radio Reading, another from the Evening Post etc, asked to interview us back in the dressing room. The line of their questions was "that must have been disappointing", but we were all laughing and joking and told them at least we would be remembered for something, anything other than being mediocre!"

TT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:00 am 

The best:

Steve Morse (solo acoustic) opening for McLaughlin, DiMeola, DeLucia, October, 1983. Morse came back out and joined the trio during the encore. I became a SM fan for life that night.

David Sancious opening for Larry Coryell, 1979. He had an electric band that blew the roof off the joint. Coryell took the stage for his performance and his first words were, "How can I follow that?"

U. K. (Jobson, Wetton, Bozzio), opening for Jethro Tull on Tull's 1979 tour. Saw a few of these shows. When U. K. took the stage the customary booing ensued. By the time they were through their second number, the crowd was cheering.

Jeff Beck opening for Santana, August, 1995. I've been through this one before. If you're a guitarist, don't have Jeff Beck as your opening act.

The worst:

This band Ace opened for Yes in 1975. I think they were pretty bad. I saw Whitesnake open for someone once. Didn't care for them at all. Some others I can't remember.

The saddest:

Livingston Taylor opening for Jethro Tull, 11/30/77. A Tull tour history site says this:

30/11/77 Madison Square Garden NYC, NY. USA
Support: Livingston Taylor, who left the stage before the end of his first song, because of booing from the audience. Ian dedicated the first song of the Tull set to him, and cites the experience as a reason why Tull rarely had a support act for several years.

I was in the 8th row for this show and I'll tell you, he didn't leave because of booing; he left because a full beer bottle thrown from the rear of the stage nearly hit his head. It skidded off the stage and into the audience. He had been pelted mercilessly from the time he took the stage, but that was too much. I felt bad for the guy.

>You don't.

Last edited by sleeping in a jar on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:58 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
he left because a full beer bottle thrown from the rear of the stage nearly missed his head.

I hope it nearly hit his head :!:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:08 am 

deuce wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
he left because a full beer bottle thrown from the rear of the stage nearly missed his head.

I hope it nearly hit his head :!:

Yes, lol! Post edited.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:36 am 

Worst was the group that opened for Soundgarden in 2013, they were dull but not bad per se. Biker music is useless unless you are riding a bike.
Best? Hot Head Show opening for Primus in 2011 were enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:41 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
The best:

Jeff Beck opening for Santana, August, 1995. I've been through this one before. If you're a guitarist, don't have Jeff Beck as your opening act.

Ditto. I saw that tour too. (and Bozzio was on drums, I think)

Another good opener was Rory Gallagher for Rush in early 80's. I didn't know who he was at the time, but will never forget the blistering set he played.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:11 am 

meh:
pearl jam and smashing pumpkins opening for the chili peppers
grotus opening for mr bungle
helmet opening for faith no more
kid606 opening for fantomas

wow:
estradasphere opening for secret chiefs 3
dillinger escape plan opening for mr bungle
melt banana opening for fantomas
har mar superstar opening for tenacious d

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:38 am 

Brand x opening for McLaughlin and one truth band Central Park. Priceless

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:45 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
I saw a strange matchup in October, 1974 at Shady Grove Music Fair, which was a small enclosed theater in-the-round with a rotating stage, located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Martin Mull and his Talking Furniture opened for Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. Bruce had released two albums at the time. I recorded most of Springsteen's show on a portable Sony cassette player. 25 years later, I dusted the tape off and transferred it to cd at perfect pitch. Some fuckwad eventually got his hands on a copy, and commercially bootlegged the recording.

Whoa, MNG. This is the site of my first concert ever(late 1975 or early '76). We lived in Rockville, MD and I won six tickets to see Steppenwolf from radio station WINX(call in). I was still 15yo, I think. My older brother was almost 18, so my parents let me go with him and some friends. We moved to California a few months later. Thanks for sharing the photo, NiceGuy.

Worst opener - Nick Gilder for Cheap Trick NYE '79

Best - UFO for Blue Oyster Cult '78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:07 pm 

There have been many. But, the most memorable was watching Jane's Addiction blow Iggy Pop totally off the stage at the Boathouse in Norfolk, VA. He looked like fucking shit trying to follow that, and I do like Iggy. Nothing's Shocking had just come out. I bought it the next day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:07 pm 

The Best:

3 opening for Dream Theater during DT's debut Vancouver appearance in 2008 at the Orpheum Theatre, as part of the inaugural Progressive Nation tour. The singer simultaneously plays an intricate type of lead/rhythmic acoustic guitar style. I was blown away. I'd consider them a modern day Jethro Tull.

The Worst:

Scott Stapp (from Creed) opening for INXS at GM Place in 2006. Totally the wrong audience. I couldn't stop laughing. The looks on most people's faces are a treasured memory...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:36 pm 

Best: Mahavishnu Orchestra opening for Zappa (NY)

Second best: Mahavishnu Orchestra opening for Santana (Saratoga)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:14 pm 

bracton wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
The best:

Ditto. I saw that tour too. (and Bozzio was on drums, I think)

Another good opener was Rory Gallagher for Rush in early 80's. I didn't know who he was at the time, but will never forget the blistering set he played.

I saw that Beck/Santana tour too and yes, Bozzio was on drums. Beck and Bozzio were why I went. I was never a big Santana fan and I remember him politicizing a lot during his show especially bashing the then California Governor about his immigration policies. That was a real turn off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm 

Best, or a couple of the best, Robert Randolph opening for Clapton in 2004 and Foghat, who opened for several shows I saw in the '70s. I soon realized I would go to see Foghat anytime.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:47 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Best?
A group I had never heard of, opening for Wishbone Ash, back in 1972. They were called Gentle Giant. They got a standing ovation. Never saw an opening act get that before (or since).

Rahdley wrote:
Best: Mahavishnu Orchestra opening for Zappa (NY)

Second best: Mahavishnu Orchestra opening for Santana (Saratoga)

Outstanding, both!

Two bands way up there on my list of bands I wish I'd seen.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:11 am 

Best:

Buckethead and Incubus opening for Primus (1999).
The Mars Volta opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006).

Worst:

Goo Goo Dolls opening for Bon Jovi (2003). They must have squeezed an emotionless 15 songs into a 45 minute time slot that seemed to go on forever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:19 am 

For those who were around in the mid 80s, you unfortunately remember the precursor to Pharrell, Bobby McFerrin, who had an ever-present hit with "Don't Worry, Be Happy". So, when I found out that BF was opening for Miles Davis, I was expecting it to suck. But, it was awesome. BF is extremely talented and his performance opened my ears to a new way of vocalizing.

For the worst... so many...don't wanna remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:17 pm 

One time I saw Joe Ely open for the Kinks. Good, solid rockabilly; but the Kinks fans booed him mercilessly because - well - he wasn't the Kinks.

I saw the Tubes open for Todd Rundgren, and a couple weeks later I saw Todd Rundgren open for the Tubes. Apparently they played leapfrog for the whole tour.

I've seen lots of shows where I have no recollection of whether there was an opening act. My philosophy is that if a band sucks, it isn't worth remembering...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:22 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
before Supertramp came on was a drag.

You paid to see Supertramp? Take the long way home. Next! :shock:

Last edited by KAPT.KIIIRK on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:31 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I saw the Tubes open for Todd Rundgren, and a couple weeks later I saw Todd Rundgren open for the Tubes. Apparently they played leapfrog for the whole tour.

The Jefferson Airplane and The Doors used to switch top billing like that. More in Europe than over here. Here it was based on regional likes. In CA. they were co-billed as the top act with Hot Tuna, Stoneground, Elvin Bishop Band, Boz Scaggs and other break off groups opening for the two bands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:38 am 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

A friend's friend couldn't make it. I got the ticket free, because it was the only way my friend was going to get me to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:46 am 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

A friend's friend couldn't make it. I got the ticket free, because it was the only way my friend was going to get me to go.

Sure ya did jpd, I bet you even camped in line for tickets! :mrgreen: :wink: