All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:13 am 

...That should make Gail happy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 am 

Who?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Who?

You know...that guy that used to do something or other, but can't be found mentioned on the internet anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:45 pm 

Are you talking about the guy who ate shit on stage once ???

:?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:59 pm 

Wasn't he the guy who started the rumor/joke that smokin' banana peels would get you high :?:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:31 pm 

OUCH!!! I love it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:06 pm 

you mean the guy in the brocadetm coat?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am 

sabrinaIII wrote:

Too late!

The art and the artist has to stand up on its own, by itself. Gail, really, is nothing but the caretaker of the artifacts and she is doing what she is supposed to do, and she has an emotional attachment to that doing, that we do not have a right to criticize. Right or wrong, they were married and they stuck it out at a time and place, where ... that was a novelty!

And Gail is getting the short end of the stick for other things that she did, that she has never claimed a single word or appreciation or discussed, but was a part of the person and the time and place and something that we are not capable of understanding, in the middle of a place known for its abuses and total destruction of people from it. The Zappa household, was pretty much the number one rehabilitation center for a lot of rock music folks ... be it drugs or drink ... and the only person to ever say something about this was Pam ... and even she is not willing to discuss this now, because Donnie doesn't want that out, or Barb, or this person or that person ... and Gail doesn't want the press at her door asking a thousand questions and abusing her with a microphone when she is trying to get some rest!

I have my wishes and hopes and desires (200 Motels has to get out ... and not in 50 years! ... much more important than some Roxy stuff!) ... and 10k people screaming at her ... is not making things ahy easier on her choices ... and I think she just wants to stop making choices, because too many of us are a bunch of assholes that do not have any respect for her position ... and place!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:45 pm 

May love spread like melted butter into every nook and cranny of your english muffin.
Blessings!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:29 pm 

Moshkito wrote:
sabrinaIII wrote:

Too late!

The art and the artist has to stand up on its own, by itself. Gail, really, is nothing but the caretaker of the artifacts and she is doing what she is supposed to do, and she has an emotional attachment to that doing, that we do not have a right to criticize. Right or wrong, they were married and they stuck it out at a time and place, where ... that was a novelty!

And Gail is getting the short end of the stick for other things that she did, that she has never claimed a single word or appreciation or discussed, but was a part of the person and the time and place and something that we are not capable of understanding, in the middle of a place known for its abuses and total destruction of people from it. The Zappa household, was pretty much the number one rehabilitation center for a lot of rock music folks ... be it drugs or drink ... and the only person to ever say something about this was Pam ... and even she is not willing to discuss this now, because Donnie doesn't want that out, or Barb, or this person or that person ... and Gail doesn't want the press at her door asking a thousand questions and abusing her with a microphone when she is trying to get some rest!

I have my wishes and hopes and desires (200 Motels has to get out ... and not in 50 years! ... much more important than some Roxy stuff!) ... and 10k people screaming at her ... is not making things ahy easier on her choices ... and I think she just wants to stop making choices, because too many of us are a bunch of assholes that do not have any respect for her position ... and place!

Or you could not know what you're talking about. Who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:29 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Or you could not know what you're talking about. Who knows?

I do not discount that ... and have written about it in a couple of other threads.

Being the "son of ..." or a part of "a legacy..." is a dead end ... no one can win. And this has been my case with a famous father in Portuguese Literature ... I can already hear you say ... who gives a shit!

The point is, that the art has to stand up for itself and the demand will far outstretch and outpace ... anything that you and I say or want or need or give a damn about.

In the meantime, anything that we bitch about ... is meaningless ... because we do not know what the real situation is ... and we can only conjecture and hope that we get close to it.

I want to see this work succeed ... but it has to be run by someone that has an appreciation for the music and work. I doubt that Gail can understand/relate to half the music ... or anything that Frank used to consider "serious music" or what the heck is Varese all about. The same for Dweezil! Thus, they can only give you the pieces that have "rock music", or a little "jazz" in it, because the rest is probably off the wall, and no one can deal with it, and most of us have never heard anyway ... we're all rock music and guitar fans ... we don't give a shit about the rest ... see the problem?

Somewhere along the way, the perspective has to change and improve. And it can't when it is dependent on people that are not able to get past the emotional attachment and the sentimental value of it all.

That is not to suggest that Gail, or Dweezil, can not do this ... but it is to suggest that they could use some serious evaluation of what they are doing if they want to take this to the next level ... and see this improve. I already gave the example of my own family where a whole library, one third of which at least one university wanted it 20 years ago, and today ... it's just good for your fireplace ... and this is the last thing that the lady in the house wants to accept, understand, or do something about it!

If this locking up, and hiding, and not cataloguing things of Frank's work, the likelihood is that in the near future this is all crap and garbage that will be lost! Just like most "rock stars" ... that no one gives a cahoot about anymore ... their 15 minutes were up and done, and so was Frank's ... now you got to make a decision ... do you want Frank's work to be elevated beyond that fleeing 15 minutes or ... do you think this should be considered "serious music" and that it deserves better attention than it is getting.

This is where Dweezil is failing ... playing the "hits" ... he does not know, what is good or bad ... he's just kinda following along with people wanting to hear this or that ... and that part will hurt ... the only audience you get is the rock fan and guitar fan audience, and you get half assed performances that show how good Return to Forever is, and how bad ZPZ is by comparison, with no musical appreciation and emotion to show for it!

You have to elevate it all ... or it will die faster than you get older!

Make the call ... before it is too late, or you will regret one day ... not having said ... I love you!

It's really simple!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 pm 

Ultimately who really gives a fuck? :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 pm 

Cletus wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:43 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Cletus wrote:

+1

+2. Let me out of the Mosh (P)Kit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Cletus wrote:

+1

+2. Let me out of the Mosh (P)Kit.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm 

This has always been my beef with the ZFT.
Frank "the serious composer guy" will be buried under Frank the "guitar god and Dynamo Hum author guy."
I just figured his "real" compositions only exsist on paper...in score form.
He never really got much of it "recorded."

This is obviouly why no pothumous cds of this stuff can be released!
Simple.

Yet.........there ARE a large contingency of fans who crave this material. (me for one...)
Great swelling statements like "Frank Zappa is America's greatest 20th century composer"
sound marvellous but there is a meager amount of recorded orchestral music of his.