Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ's Top 5 Bassists
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:18 am 

I recently saw a thread here listing FZ's top bassists and what person so-and-so listed as the top 5 was way out in left field. Being a bassist and FZ fanatic for nearly 20 years I had to make some corrections.

#5: I typed this from first to last so I'm too mentally worn out to come up with something neat. Here's a list of my least favorites in descending order: Roy Estrada (1975), Erroneous, Dave Parlato, Shuggie Otis, Max Bennett, Roy Estrada (1964-69), Jim Pons, Jeff Simmons.

#4: Patrick O'Hearn - You have to give props to someone who plays both upright and electric fretless bass very well. The skill and technique alone deserves credit to be on the list. Plus he plays on two of my all time favorite FZ tracks, Rat Tomago and The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution. Highlights include: SY, ZINY, BS.

#3: Tom Fowler - Tom's tone of his Fender P bass and groove fit perfectly with the Roxy band. He can also whip it out when called upon (i.e. Montana - YCDTOSA Vol. 4, Echidna's Arf - YCDTOSA Vol. 2). Above all, Tom plays on probably most FZ fans' favorite compositions. He was also instrumental in holding down the fort in the Bongo Fury band as well. Highlights include: YCDTOSA Vol. 2, R&E, OSFA.

#2: Arthur Barrow - This guy has the chops of no one else in any of FZ's bands, finger plucking, picking, slapping, you name it. His playing really shines especially when playing with Vinnie (FZ's best drummer), stretching way out there (i.e. Packard Goose - Halloween 1978). Arthur also had a great knack for replicating specific hooks in basslines for FZ's older compositions as well (Village of the Sun, St. Alfonso - 1978). Highlights include: JG, SUNPYG, WAWYI.

#1: Scott Thunes - Being the clonemeister for the 1988 band is no easy job, seeing as he had to memorize everyone's part for approximately 120 compositions played on that tour. Having said that, being the clonemeister, you need to have impeccable ears for listening to all the nuances of the music at all times. Being a phenomenal listener is what abled Scott to be a phenomenal player for FZ, with his basslines fitting perfectly. Highlights include the live albums: MAJNH, TBBYNHIYL, DHBIM, YCDTOSA Vol. 2 & 3, BWTH, G.