Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 am 

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/zappa-and-j ... -wills.php

With a short excerpt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:39 am 

Curious to hear a review of the whole book. The excerpt appears to carry a tone that FZ was wrong about jazz, or at least was biased towards it for various, possibly ignorant or unwitting reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 am 

Here's the publisher's page for the book (including a quote from Ed Palermo): http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=3374

And some (*cough*) Idiot had this to say after reading:

"Zappa’s universe continues to expand and Geoff Wills has added another dimension. In this book he identifies the maestro’s fondness for jazz in an unpretentious and readable way that makes you want to dig deeper into the music that so evidently influenced Frank’s work."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:41 pm 

this looks very interesting, just ordered one from ebay u.k.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 am 

It's hard to imagine an entire book on this subject. FZ's interest in jazz seemed so minor, compared to classical and rock.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
It's hard to imagine an entire book on this subject. FZ's interest in jazz seemed so minor, compared to classical and rock.

I disagree, 99% of all the musicians he hired were very accomplished jazz musicians in their own right. I think they were the ones with the ability to play his compositions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:04 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

It is interesting, though, because he seemed so ambivalent about jazz. Although I don't take the "smells funny" quip seriously, he could be really dismissive about jazz, as in the Musician article quoted in the book excerpt. And he sneered at the culture of jazz, the studio guys, the on-call seasoned vets, the chess-playing pros who didn't get crazy like his rock 'n' roll bands. But on the other hand the young FZ cared enough to go to a Miles Davis concert and try to meet the man, he listed numerous jazz heroes in the Freak Out influences list, he conspicuously name-checked Eric Dolphy, and of course much of his greatest music basically was jazz. I'll be interested to see what this guy has to say about it all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:49 pm 

This guy, is his best friend and brother Bob. He loved jazz, he just liked to poke fun. If you have time look up the interviews with Chester, Ruth, wackerman and Humphrey on drummers web sight. Heck he had little hand gestures to signal the band to switch music styles to different jazz bands, like weather report, for that band he would wiggle his fingers over his head like it is raining. Then the band would take on a weather report vibe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:29 am 

Doesn't he mention Duke Ellington in the RFZB?

I plan to buy and read this sometime, the dollar price is through the roof here...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:38 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Doesn't he mention Duke Ellington in the RFZB?

He mentioned seeing Ellington pleading with George Wein for money and claimed this prompted his to break up the Mothers in 1969.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:59 am 

what does a funny frank smell like?

*burnthotdogpic*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 am 

A great BBC documentary on FZ & Jazz. Its been posted before, but I've listened multiple times and always enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hpcWPxBzpI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:24 pm 

not a bad read, it's a chronological excursion of how jazz played a big part of fz's music starting before freak out! and ending with the '88 band

all the musicians he played with that had any connection to jazz are noted, along with selected conversations or correspondence the author had with some of them, their jazz credentials before & after their zappa gigs in the studio or on stage and their opinion of zappa ... the author attempts to relate many zappa compositions or even a few bars in a zappa song to jazz tunes both obscure, familiar, straight ahead, fusion, avant garde

he concludes zappa had a fundamental admiration for jazz despite his negativity on the subject