Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tim Buckley
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:17 am 

So what do you think of this artist?

I know he was universally derided by the critics at the time he supported Zappa at his Wazoo tours, but I think this might have been one instance where the critics were full of shit! In my opinion, he was quite cool.

Starsailor is one hell of a cool record! Those voices are very nutty, it's got some fine freeform jazz derived instrumental chops on that one too. And as a bonus, some of the Zappa sidemen appear on it, including Buzz Gardner on trumpet. If you haven't heard this album, check it out. You cannot go wrong when you do, at least not more than you would go wrong with buying a Barbara Streisand album with Ian Underwood on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:04 am 

Love him, totally love him. He had an amazing voice, and I just love his stuff. A particular fave is "Falling Timber" and I love the album "Blue Afternoon", his voice is amazing on "I Must Have Been Blind".
Have you read the book "Blue Melody" by Lee Underwood? A good read for a Tim Buckley fan. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:15 am 

I really like that Starsailor album, it's a very nice lp. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to get hold of and has been out of print for years, I only have it on tape somewhere. It should get a nice cd reissue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:55 am 

I love Tim Buckley's work and have several albums and the anthology. Haven't heard the Starsailor album though, except for a few tracks on the anthology. Great stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:50 am 

I've only got Live at the troubadour 69, the songs Blue melody, Chase the blues away and Driftin' almost make me cry. But sometimes his voice irritates me a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:42 am 

yeah i love tim buckley, i have five of his albums 'lorca', 'look at the fool', 'tim buckley anthology' 'once i was', and parts of dream letter: live......................................................he such a great singer, and zappa loved him, even had him as a support act (as many of you may know)..his son is Jeff Buckley also a successful singer, who i think is brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:56 am 

roxys'sensation wrote:
his son is Jeff Buckley also a successful singer, who i think is brilliant.

I'd second that. Jeff was brilliant.
is in my permanent top ten.

as for dad...

This is the only one of his I have
Stand out track for me is
Love From Room 109 At The Islander (On Pacific Coast Highway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:50 am 

I at least like most of Tim Buckley's catalog, but Dream Letter is absolutely brilliant, an excellent album. If I had to, I'd trade all the rest of my Buckley albums for this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:01 pm 

Jeff was amazing. I actually prefer Jeff Buckley to Tim. I think out of the two, he was the more amazing singer/songwriter. What an amazing voice. So sad that his life was cut so tragically short eh? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:18 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I at least like most of Tim Buckley's catalog, but Dream Letter is absolutely brilliant, an excellent album. If I had to, I'd trade all the rest of my Buckley albums for this one.

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Jeff was amazing. I actually prefer Jeff Buckley to Tim. I think out of the two, he was the more amazing singer/songwriter. What an amazing voice. So sad that his life was cut so tragically short eh? :cry:

I like Jeff too. But, I'd add him to what I wrote above above:
If I could only pick one Buckley album, Tim or Jeff, I'd still pick Dream Letter. :)

Oddball Jeff Buckley story:
A couple friends and I were heading over to the Riviera to see a show, I forget who, and were near another club, the Green Mill (usually a serious jazz club, so odd booking). We saw the line in front of the Green Mill and asked some people there who was playing tonight. They said Jeff Buckley, but sorta mumbled it, so I asked "Who?". They rolled their eyes and blurted out some crap about how if I don't know who Jeff Buckley is, they don't need to explain it to me. They were clearly self-appointed hipsters too cool for just about anyone and the rest of the line seemed cut from the same cloth.
Of course I knew who Jeff Buckley was, I just couldn't hear out on the street. But, I never wanted to go to a Jeff Buckley show after that, silly but true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:09 pm 

my buckley collection:

Image Image Image

great albums, all three of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:43 am 

yeh deffinatley i agree, and maybe jeff's 'live at sin-e would be added to that for me as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:36 pm 

Tim Buckley was a brilliant, difficult man. If you have seen him live, you know that, towards the end (Greetings from LA) he was doing things with his voice and music that haven't been matched. The early stuff was unbelievable too, the poignancy and artistry heartbreaking. His son was good but unfortunately didn't live long enough to match his father's sophistication. And, at the time Tim was creating his music, he was one of a kind.

Post subject: Re: Tim Buckley
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 pm 

Lorca is one of the best albums I've ever heard. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned. It's similar to Starsailor, but has got a really nice atmosphere, and it's more mellow. I find Starsailor a bit annoying at some points, although it's full of masterpieces, like Jungle Fire, Song To The Siren, I Woke Up, Down At The Borderline...