Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 pm 

Welcome to the final stage of the 2015 All Star Band Draft.

The lineups have been selected and each entrant has presented their band concept.

All that remains is to open the voting to determine which group will be honoured with the title of 2015 All Star Band.

Voting Rules

- As determined by the Grand Poobah, also known as The Commish.

1. Forum members get three votes for the bands they would like to see perform in concert.
2. Each vote is worth one point.
3. Assume all band members are in their relative prime.
4. Contest participants can vote, and can vote for themselves.
5. Contest participants that vote, must cast three votes.

Additional rule by Polydigm

6. Please don't quote this post

Please note: The competition is just as much about the presentation of each band as the bands themselves.

There will be no separate vote for presentation.

Each band name entry below is a link to the entrant's presentation for your consideration.

The Bands

1. Arkay Mike Keneally and The Enterprise

Mike Keneally
      Ruth Underwood
      Tom Fowler
      Robert Fripp
      Chester Thompson

2. Deuce Ebenezer and Ivorezer

Terry Bozzio
      Jeff Beck
      John MacKenzie
      Alvin Youngblood
      Salif Keita

3. Disco Boy Theater Of The Thin White Rush Return To INXS

Alex Lifeson
      David Bowie
      Stanley Clarke
      Jordan Rudess
      Jon Farris

4. Rahdley Pink Crimson

Steve Winwood
      David Gilmour
      Bill Bruford
      Greg Lake
      Ian McDonald

5. Calvin The Musicology Collective

Prince
      Steve Morse
      Arthur Barrow
      Elton John
      Chad Wackerman

6.Plook XTopia Beatubes

Todd Rundgren
      Andy Partridge
      Paul McCartney
      Prairie Prince
      Scheila Gonsalez

7. Tiboudre Electro Shock

Vinnie Colaiuta
      Tony Levin
      Tommy Mars
      Mike Patton
      John Scofield

8.KUIII Jethro Claypool's Alien Love Secrets

Steve Vai
      Ian Anderson
      Les Claypool
      Neal Peart
      Eddie Jobson

9. Mr Green Genes Café com Leite

Wilber Bascomb
      Hermeto Pascoal
      Airto Moreira
      Toniho Horta
      Egberto Gismonti

10. Tweezers Sacred Steel Jazz-Blues Experiment

JLPonty
      Victor Wooten
      Stewart Copeland
      Robert Randolph
      Bonnie Raitt

11. Slime The Acrylic Poncho Generation

Mike Stern
      Tal Wilkenfeld
      Ian Underwood
      Aynsley Dunbar
      Yusuf Islam

12. Polydigm Total Perspective Vortex

John McLaughlin
      Cindy Blackman
      Philippe Chayeb
      Chick Corea
      Napoleon Murphy Brock

13. DC Boogie The Cosmic Brothel

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
      Stephen O'Malley
      Tsuyama Atsushi
      Tatsuya Yoshida
      Susanne Sundfer

Last edited by polydigm on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:06 pm 

This was really tough. All the bands are worthy and I would love to see them all.

The Cosmic Brothel was the most obscure (to me) by far (Omar was the only one I was vaguely familiar with) but thank you DC for introducing me to some new (to me) musicians to check out.

I was familiar with most of the names in Mr. Green Genes Brazilian supergroup (and I like Brazilian music) but it just opened my eyes that I need to sipend some more time checking out these great musicians.

Liked Tweezers combination of JLP, Wooten, and Copeland but didn't know how Randolph and Raitt's rootsieness would mesh.

Calvin's Musicology Collection could get some votes (depending on who's voting). Prince and Elton are the dominant frontmen and Morse is a great guitarist. Elton was my first favorite rock star in my junior high years and those early albums still mean a lot to me and I'm a pretty solid fan of Morse but (even though I think he's very talented) Prince has never floated my boat. Arthur and Chad are great sidemen but no bonus points.

Slime's band has to be seen as a Stern/Stevens collaboration with some great sidemen. Stern's one of my favorites and The Best of Cat Stevens was a formative album in junior high. Stern/Stevens seems like an odd couple though.

Arkay's band is a Keneally project with Fripp as a sideman and the Roxy Zappa rhythm section. Very interesting but Keneally (as much as I dig him) is not everybodies cup of tea. I suspect Mike would be at his most Zappaesque working with Ruth,Tom, and Chester.

I suspect Rhadley's Pink Crimson might be the most successful and have the most chemistry in the real world but I'm not voting for him because only Bruford would have been a candidate for my band (just a matter of personal favorites really).

Polydigm's band holds high interest because of the combo of fusion heavyweights McLaughlin and Corea. They have played together before in the Five Peace Band. Does NMB take them over the top? Not quite.

Disco Boy's band would be a great draw and I like it. Bowie would have to be the central creative force and he has proven he can draw great things out of disparate musicians (Lifeson, Clarke, and Rudess will be interesting collaborators). The drummer seems an odd choice but sometimes a solid rock drummer is just what you need.

Deuce's Ebonezer and Ivorezer is my first alternate. The combination of Beck and Bozzio is killer and I also dig Hart. If you're not familiar with Hart check him out. He can play everything from Robert Johnson style acoustic blues to Neil Young style grunge rock to John Scofield style jazz to swing to ska to Captain Beefheart.

Last edited by KUIII on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:37 pm 

That leaves the three that I will be voting for:

Tiboudre 's Electro Shock:
This is the only band besides my own where I would consider all five members candidates for my own band. I think this band would be the most intellectually intriguing collection of disparate talents. I would get Bill Laswell to produce these guys.

Plook's band Xtopia Beatubes gets a vote. The best collection of pop rock songwriters by far in the contest (Rundgren, McCartney, Partridge) plus Prairie Prince on drums (listen to the Tubes Live album "What Do You Want From Live?" if you have any doubts). I might have come up with another keyboard player but Scheila will do just fine (plus she can honk some sax). My goodness, what songs might these guys come up with.

Jethro Claypool's Alien Love Secrets gets a vote because they are just awesome.

Last edited by KUIII on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:48 am 

I'm not voting for myself - its wrong. Although presentation is a factor, it hasn't swayed me. This is about me justifying to the missus that the $3.50 ticket was worth it on the night.
1/. KUIII gets a vote cos vai and claypool together is worth the entrance fee.
2/. Arkay gets a vote, because of fripp and underwood, even though I'm not a great fan of keneally or thompson.
3/. Mr Green Genes gets a vote cos sometimes I like to see a band that I've no idea who they are or what they are like - and I'm a man of my word.
Everyone else was equal 5th.
There you have it...
TT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:59 am 

Well thats a little confusing but....................I am all in for band #7 thats it .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:23 am 

additional rule by TT
voting ends on __/__/2015
TT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am 

List below modified due to Roolz Change

I'm gonna go like deuce and not pick myself.

Mike Keneally & The Enterprise
Electro Shock
The Cosmic Brothel

... wish I could pick more...

Last edited by The Forum Killed Arkay on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:08 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I'm gonna go like deuce and not pick myself.

Electro Shock
XTopia Beatubes
The Cosmic Brothel

... wish I could pick more...

You guys are making me feel like a selfish pig. :lol: I hereby retract my self-vote (see revised vote above). :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:18 pm 

Total Perspective Vortex, because I love McLaughlin and Cindy
Ebrnezer and Ivorezer with Terry Ted and the best guitarist in the Yardbirds
And my fuckin'band Sacred Steel Jazz Blues Experiment

Last edited by tweezers on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:19 pm 

Selfish pig? Why would you not vote for your own band? You chose them because you thought they were the best right?

"Okay guys, you're a really good band, I hope you win, but I'm not voting for you."
"Some promoter you turned out to be. Hey, Polydigm, can we join your band?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:27 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Selfish pig? Why would you not vote for your own band? You chose them because you thought they were the best right?

"Okay guys, you're a really good band, I hope you win, but I'm not voting for you."
"Some promoter you turned out to be. Hey, Polydigm, can we join your band?"

I fire myself as promoter of Jethro Claypool's Alien Love Secrets. :cry: Peart's really pissed at me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:33 pm 

edit: Content of this post nullified due to Roolz Change

Hola polydigm...
For what its worth, I don't think voting for yourself is selfish. Of course I'd like to win and I definitely think my band has the most going for it. But, I have reasons for voting how I did, so I guess I should've just said what they are.

1. tiboudre - I think his particular mix was well done with players that I can imagine playing well together. Its imagination, but I want to give credit where its due. If I don't win, I think tiboudre should win.
2. Plook - He's got Todd Rundgren. I'd go see TR with whoever he had in his band and I thought Plook did well with his bandmates.
3. DC Boogie - He influenced the way I thought about my own band. One good turn deserves another.

Last edited by The Forum Killed Arkay on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:29 pm 

I don't think its selfish, but if everyone did it, we might as well have just two votes.
TT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:48 pm 

Hey Arkay, it's not about wanting to win, although obviously I have an ego, but it's about voting for the bands you'd want to see. I put together the band I'd most want to see, so why wouldn't I vote for that? Are you saying you'd rather see these other three bands than the one you chose yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm 

edit: Post content irrelevent in light of Roolz Change

I see how you came to that conclusion, but I think the game is flexible enough to let me pick for my own reasons. If my band is good enough to win, one vote wont matter. If its a tie or I lose by one, I wont regret not paying respect to those 3 bands.

Last edited by The Forum Killed Arkay on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:00 pm 

deuce wrote:
additional rule by TT
voting ends on __/__/2015
TT

Let's keep voting open through Sunday, June 14th to give folks time to listen to musicians they are not familiar with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:29 pm 

What's the hurry? It's just a bit of fun right? There are a number of regulars here but also many in and out drifters, I have no problem waiting much longer, in fact I don't even care if there isn't an ultimate count. It's more interesting just reading all the different opinions and plenty more will come after whenever you close the vote.

To no-one in particular: "And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner" - Roger Waters

I did consider choosing Roger Waters, but with my wild ambitious and probably dubious idea of being an unknown song writer, there wouldn't have been enough room for the both of us.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:36 pm 

polydigm wrote:
What's the hurry? It's just a bit of fun right? There are a number of regulars here but also many in and out drifters, I have no problem waiting much longer, in fact I don't even care if there isn't an ultimate count. It's more interesting just reading all the different opinions and plenty more will come after whenever you close the vote.

To no-one in particular: "And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner" - Roger Waters

I did consider choosing Roger Waters, but with my wild ambitious and probably dubious idea of being an unknown song writer, there wouldn't have been enough room for the both of us.

I should have said until at least June 14th. Longer is better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:13 pm 

Now I discover John McLaughlin has also played alongside Cindy Blackman before.

I guess I knew he'd collaborated with Santana so this was always a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:30 pm 

Unlike some others here, it was easy as hell to pick a top 3.

1. Theater Of The Thin White Rush Return To INXS
2. The Musicology Collective (Calvin)
3. Jethro Claypool's Alien Love Secrets (KUIII)

And yes, I chose my own band. So sue me. It took a while to come up with a nice cross-section of not only talented players but writers as well. Whereas, while pretty much all of the players that forum members listed above are extremely talented, many of them aren't necessarily good writers. My choices run the spectrum of prog, jazz, metal, rock, soul, funk, pop & r&b.

And to answer KUIII's comment about Jon Farriss from INXS being an odd choice: he may not be Terry Bozzio, but his playing is solid as fuck and I LOVE his drum fills (especially live, where he shakes them up a lot). In fact, when Nile Rodgers (Chic) first heard INXS in 1983, Jon's drumming style was THE immediate interest and he wanted to meet them all asap. Rodgers later produced the track Original Sin for them. And Bruce Fairbairn, who produced one of INXS' albums in the mid-'90s also had great things to say about Jon's natural ability. Lastly, Jon wrote and/or co-wrote several INXS songs, one of which was Disappear, one of their biggest hits...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:56 pm 

Rahdley wrote:
polydigm wrote:

I should have said until at least June 14th. Longer is better.

I agree with Poly. It would be fun to keep it open for the better part of the calendar year and keep updating the voting. Maybe have a deadline in December to coronate the champion at the end of the year. Then we can start a new contest in early 2016 with probably a lot more participants.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:01 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Unlike some others here, it was easy as hell to pick a top 3.

1. Theater Of The Thin White Rush Return To INXS
2. The Musicology Collective (Calvin)
3. Jethro Claypool's Alien Love Secrets (KUIII)

And yes, I chose my own band. So sue me. It took a while to come up with a nice cross-section of not only talented players but writers as well. Whereas, while pretty much all of the players that forum members listed above are extremely talented, many of them aren't necessarily good writers. My choices run the spectrum of prog, jazz, metal, rock, soul, funk, pop & r&b.

And to answer KUIII's comment about Jon Farriss from INXS being an odd choice: he may not be Terry Bozzio, but his playing is solid as fuck and I LOVE his drum fills (especially live, where he shakes them up a lot). In fact, when Nile Rodgers (Chic) first heard INXS in 1983, Jon's drumming style was THE immediate interest and he wanted to meet them all asap. Rodgers later produced the track Original Sin for them. And Bruce Fairbairn, who produced one of INXS' albums in the mid-'90s also had great things to say about Jon's natural ability. Lastly, Jon wrote and/or co-wrote several INXS songs, one of which was Disappear, one of their biggest hits...

Nothing wrong with picking your own band. I kind of regret retracting my pick but then again I like that I gave somebody else some play. I'm ok with your drummer too. I like Plook 's pick of Prarie Prince and he's underrated as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:07 pm 

Before I vote, I would like to ask a question. I just want to vote for my 3 favorite. Do I have to actually put them in a 1-2-3 order?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:16 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Before I vote, I would like to ask a question. I just want to vote for my 3 favorite. Do I have to actually put them in a 1-2-3 order?
No. It's impossible anyway. Your choices only get one vote each, which would make them effectively equal based just on your votes alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:17 pm 

Philostopher wrote:

Nope. All votes count as one point.