Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54 am
Posts: 2
why zappa?
tell me who you all are and why you love him....

I'm a 26 yr old australian female. i am a lover of jazz, and the first song i heard was peaches en regalia
at first i was disappointed to find that most of his other music isn't exactly like that one song...
but then i started to love him all the more for his funny & random musings on all things. i love that he obviously never took himself too seriously and didnt try to write music that was profound and 'important'.
I just got his face tattooed on my side, and i am here at this forum as there is still so much more to learn about this amazing being.



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 1623
I just liked him right away when I first heard Zoot Allures in 1976. I kinda likened my experience to how FZ explained his initial exposure to Edgar Varese ("nobody had to explain it to me"). Even though FZ was probably as popular as he was ever going to get back then I didn't really know anybody else in my small town that liked him. The music was unique and very cool and I could relate to his point of view and humor.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9512
peachyqueen wrote:
...tell me who you all are...
. . .the best you can get, have you guessed me yet ¿




zappa took a unique approach to everything he did, & everything he did was all related to itself, so if you happen like one small piece, and take the time to peel back a few more layers, you can't help but love it all ... even least favorite albums become more liked as you make connections with the most favorites

peaches en regalia is such a perfectly composed piece of music, you can't pick a better starting point; those 'random' musings will quickly develop into the crux of continuity

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12766
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Check out his Surf Music before The MOI. Cool stuff with a bullet. Ultra Mondo Beach Boy's Extravaganza! It's a way of life. You'll love it...trust me. :wink:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13497
Location: Schools that do not teach
Why not?

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 8977
Location: EINDHOVEN
Because it's music that stays interesting, no matter how many times you hear it.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 am
Posts: 230
Location: The Land of the Ice & Snow
BBP wrote:
Because it's music that stays interesting, no matter how many times you hear it.
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Why not?

I agree wholeheartedly with the above.
In addition, in my younger years, as a teen-aged hooligan skipping school and smoking herbal jazz cigarettes on a regular basis, listening to Zappa's music served a secondary purpose beyond entertainment, and it served as something of a psychological conditioning to important realizations I wasn't going to come to without someone saying it to my face; Zappa was the only person who not only said these things, and said them in the perfect way. Looking back, listening to his music has influenced my development into adulthood more than probably any outside source other than my parents.

_________________
Oh No! I don't believe it...
You say that you think you know the meaning of love...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am
Posts: 828
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Check out his Surf Music before The MOI. Cool stuff with a bullet. Ultra Mondo Beach Boy's Extravaganza! It's a way of life. You'll love it...trust me. :wink:



Some great stuff here > http://www.idiotbastard.com/News/Buff.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2755
Location: Chicago, sort of.
I was lucky enough (i.e. old enough) to see him play many times. His music always stunned me. So many notes... placed perfectly in relation to all the others. I would leave concerts and not be able to get my bearings for a couple of hours. And, as BBP said, it stays fresh.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12766
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
pedro2 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Check out his Surf Music before The MOI. Cool stuff with a bullet. Ultra Mondo Beach Boy's Extravaganza! It's a way of life. You'll love it...trust me. :wink:



Some great stuff here > http://www.idiotbastard.com/News/Buff.htm

Nice link Pedro, thanx manx, that be the one I was thinking of! 8)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18113
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Because his music, and his lyrics, gave me a chuckle. And he wasn't popular. (for some reason, the more popular an artist/group is, the less I like them...[Beatles excepted!])
I almost gave Zappa up when I discovered that, except for the swearing, my dad liked it...but, I stuck with it!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2350
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Because everyone else is BORING AS FUCK.

Oh wait, I had a jpfunk moment there...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm
Posts: 214
His instrumentals are beautiful.
His solos (and soloing style) is truly one of a kind and will never be duplicated perfectly.
His approach to lyrics was brilliant. Be it the mundane, political/religious, or just words to carry a melody, he put enough thought into them to make sure they always had "the eyebrows."
His arrangements could be complex and blow your mind, or contain subtle complexities that one doesn't notice until they attempt to play his music or have the chance to view it being performed.


Plus once you realize what "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" is about....you will never stop laughing.

_________________
Image

Pudding
Delicious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12766
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
just plain doug wrote:
Because his music, and his lyrics, gave me a chuckle. And he wasn't popular. (for some reason, the more popular an artist/group is, the less I like them...[Beatles excepted!])
I almost gave Zappa up when I discovered that, except for the swearing, my dad liked it...but, I stuck with it!

Sneaky parents, using the ol' "But I like them too, play some more" routine. To they're credit they sat through what they hated just for us. I still remember mom telling me what a great album Revolver was...well one song she liked. Gee, can you guess which one? Way back when life was such an easy game to play... :lol:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 3580
Location: Eugene, OR
Frank Zappa -- because God is less accessible.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group