Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:48 am 

I was in the states recently and picked up a dollar with a web address stamped onto it. It made me curious and I checked it out... iot turned out to be some kind of money tracking thing.

It got me thinking that I'd love to get something like that going with something FZ based. What I suggest is that if we could get probably about 10 people, have a common message (i.e. Frank Zappa Lives) in the same part of a note (thinking €5 at the moment) that we could get people seeing the name and maybe even being curious enough to check it up, and if it got noticed might get seen someone in the media... free FZ promotion.

All I suggest is, keeping it neat and small... It might be a silly idea, But if people react positively I might purchase 10 stamps and send one to 9 other that would agree to do it.

Leave a comment with good idea, bad idea, I'll do it, do it, don't do it.... whatever.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 am 

I can see where you're coming from and the loyalty in your heart, but be ware of the monetary police and the chrome plated megaphone of destiny, for I guess this is a crime... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:24 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I can see where you're coming from and the loyalty in your heart, but be ware of the monetary police and the chrome plated megaphone of destiny, for I guess this is a crime... :smoke:

Answer
Taken from The "wherehaveIbeen" website: This is, by far, the most commonly asked question we get and the answer is...

Not unless you're making them "unfit for recirculation" and, according to Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code, this is defined as "mutilating, cutting, disfiguring, perforating, uniting or cementing together, or doing anything else to a bank bill with the intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued". So, if you're only writing the "www.WhereHaveIBeen.com" website address in neat lettering along one edge of the bill, you're certainly not making it "unfit for recirculation"!

"Of course, that's the American side of things. What about in Canada?"

At this time, there is nothing mentioned in either the Canadian Bank Act or the Canadian Criminal Code (see Part XII; Offences Relating to Currency) concerning the defacement of bank notes.

While the Bank of Canada (who decides whether a bill is to be removed from circulation and replaced) does not condone writing on bills, those bills remain legal tender and can be used in commercial transactions. For more information, please feel free to contact any member of the Bank Note Communication and Compliance Team of the Bank of Canada at 1.888.513.8212

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:41 pm 

I was in beautiful Ireland two years ago. :lol:

Sounds like the website you are talking about is http://www.wheresgeorge.com. Quite an interesting site really. I had similar bills float through my hands. I always passed mine off to strippers (of course working their way through college) because they along with interstate truck drivers would in my estimation pass the buck the farthest. If the truckers visited the strippers, well catch-22.

If the money idea of yours doesn't happen, I suggest we of the forum keep a nonstop worldwide greeting card moving along. We could place our Name (or handle), the date, and a tiny message. But once you get it, you should send it to a different forum member in another country. Then we can do some kind of zigzag map of the world showing just where this card has been and how far it has traveled. I like snall mail and so should you. :mrgreen

:

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.