Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:09 am
Posts: 1
Hey kids.  I was wondering if you all knew where I could find the music (tab? straight-up chords? sheet music?) to Village of the Sun.  Gotta sing and play it.  Always.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 443
Location: yonder
Maybe it'd be best to train yer ear and then listen to it to transcribe/figure it out yourself.  :)<br><br> :'( But that takes a while, so if it ain't enough help, sorry, I don't know where to find that. Munchkin Music doesn't have it, I assume.<br><br>Seriously, though, I rarely come to this forum, but when I do, it's very evident that there aren't a whole lot of people with great ears here. (aside from the fact that y'all listen to FZ; keep at it!)

_________________
Confinement loaf sounds good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9597
Image

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
The first Bars are Octave slides not triads.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: EINDHOVEN
FZ's skill for writing musical notation is beyond belief!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
BBP wrote:
FZ's skill for writing musical notation is beyond belief!

Granted
Though the original poster asked for "tab? straight-up chords? sheet music?" so i guess by asking Tab the intention was for Guitar which be need for sliding Otaves :smoke:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzP9JUZNftg
Lighthouse Family Ocean Drive 1995

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
enggo_pah wrote:
Maybe it'd be best to train yer ear and then listen to it to transcribe/figure it out yourself.  :)<br><br> :'( But that takes a while, so if it ain't enough help, sorry, I don't know where to find that. Munchkin Music doesn't have it, I assume.<br><br>Seriously, though, I rarely come to this forum, but when I do, it's very evident that there aren't a whole lot of people with great ears here. (aside from the fact that y'all listen to FZ; keep at it!)

Thanks for insulting pretty much everybody on this forum. Maybe he's just a hobbyist like me and not a "real" musician like you obviously are. You must be real popular at parties.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15001
KUIII wrote:
enggo_pah wrote:
Maybe it'd be best to train yer ear and then listen to it to transcribe/figure it out yourself.  :)<br><br> :'( But that takes a while, so if it ain't enough help, sorry, I don't know where to find that. Munchkin Music doesn't have it, I assume.<br><br>Seriously, though, I rarely come to this forum, but when I do, it's very evident that there aren't a whole lot of people with great ears here. (aside from the fact that y'all listen to FZ; keep at it!)

Thanks for insulting pretty much everybody on this forum. Maybe he's just a hobbyist like me and not a "real" musician like you obviously are. You must be real popular at parties.


That message was from 9 years ago.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1694
Location: south midlands, UK
The first bars are octave slides, starting in g.
Also, I dont think its f7 initially - its fmin7 eh?
Thats not FZs transcribing is it then?
If it is, that not what they're playin on ROE.
But I dont have great ears...
TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Posts: 183
BBP wrote:
FZ's skill for writing musical notation is beyond belief!

My favorite part is how the F7 in the first measure looks just like how FZ signed his own initials.

:roll: at the characters here seeing FZ's own manuscript and complaining "That's not how it goes!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
calvin2hikers wrote:
KUIII wrote:
enggo_pah wrote:
Maybe it'd be best to train yer ear and then listen to it to transcribe/figure it out yourself.  :)<br><br> :'( But that takes a while, so if it ain't enough help, sorry, I don't know where to find that. Munchkin Music doesn't have it, I assume.<br><br>Seriously, though, I rarely come to this forum, but when I do, it's very evident that there aren't a whole lot of people with great ears here. (aside from the fact that y'all listen to FZ; keep at it!)

Thanks for insulting pretty much everybody on this forum. Maybe he's just a hobbyist like me and not a "real" musician like you obviously are. You must be real popular at parties.


That message was from 9 years ago.

Your point being? Decorum and etiquette are not bound by time and space. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5918
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
deuce wrote:
Also, I dont think its f7 initially - its fmin7 eh?
It starts on F major seventh with "Going back home" starting on E. Then it drops to F minor seventh with "Out in back" starting on E flat.
deuce wrote:
Thats not FZs transcribing is it then?
Looks like an FZ written thing to me and it's definitely correct.
deuce wrote:
If it is, that not what they're playin on ROE.
That is what they're playing on R&E.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1694
Location: south midlands, UK
polydigm wrote:
deuce wrote:
Also, I dont think its f7 initially - its fmin7 eh?
It starts on F major seventh with "Going back home" starting on E. Then it drops to F minor seventh with "Out in back" starting on E flat.
deuce wrote:
Thats not FZs transcribing is it then?
Looks like an FZ written thing to me and it's definitely correct.
deuce wrote:
If it is, that not what they're playin on ROE.
That is what they're playing on R&E.

You are right.
What I should have said was that they're not playing f7 to start - maybe thats just his shorthand for fmaj7 then. If so, then I guess its FZ.
Those 'triads' are the correct chords - I played them and they sounded right.
TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
deuce wrote:
What I should have said was that they're not playing f7 to start.
You did.
Quote "The first bars are octave slides, starting in g"

It's "The Easy Teen-age New York Version." :wink:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHNBR3eG-0
Frank Zappa - Village Of The Sun (Live Oct 13, 1978: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ)

Take a few slides along in tune too this version,(The ZPZ version on DVD is more Corrector Concert Pitch tho Vai does easy Octaves) :| the guy got hands like shoves :| and you will have a chance of having a little fun soloing improvising in the key of D=F/C sharps,R&E live but sped up :smoke:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group