Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:05 am 

Jazz...recommended artists & albums...concerts you've attended, favorite venues past and present, top 5's, 10's, 20's (all time albums, albums by specific artist, artists by instrument, innovators, acoustic v electric, fusion, etc, etc, etc)...DOESN'T NECESSARILY HAVE TO BE ALL IN THE SAME POST...<br><br>get the...(cough, cough)...get the picture?<br><br>yeah, another LIST thread but what the f---<br><br>POST 'EM, DANNO!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:58 am 

Well, I'll try to make it short:<br><br>-best concert I ever saw: Chick Corea + Origin 1999 :o<br><br>-favorite bass players: Jaco, Stanley Clarke (before 1976), Jeff Berlin.<br>-favorite pianists: Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock<br>-favorite guitar players: Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson and a bit of Mc Laughlin<br>-favorite saxes: Coltrane, Steve Wilson, Wayne Shorter<br>-favorite drummers: Christian Vander, Tony Williams, maybe Elvin Jones.<br><br>  11 albums I like very much:<br>-Romantic Warrior (Return To Forever) <br>-Black Market (Weather Report) <br>-Apocalypse (Mahavishnu) <br>-Bitches Brew (Miles Davis) <br>-Village Vanguard (Coltrane)<br>-Jaco's 1st<br>-Flood (Herbie Hancock)<br>-Spears (Tribal Tech)<br>-Third (Soft Machine)<br>-Time (Prysm)<br>-One of a kind (Bill Bruford)<br><br>I know it's very rock-oriented, and I'm sorry for that.Maybe I'm too young :-[<br>I know it's very 70's.Since 1975 (retirement of Miles Davis), jazz music stagnates - IMO.The musicians are technically better than ever, but they lack creativity and/or ambition (there are exceptions : the Prysm album I mentioned, some of the Knitting Factory etc...)<br><br>Oops, I forgot:<br><br> musicians I'd love to sodomize (with a genetically modified cucumber)<br>-almost 76% of the jazz musicians who appeared since the 80's. :-*<br><br> <br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:09 pm 

10 Jazz Albums I'd recommend to ANYBODY:<br><br>Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue<br>John Coltrane - A Love Supreme<br>Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um<br>Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners<br>Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus<br>Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller<br>Wes Montgomery - Complete Smokin At The Half Note<br>Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard<br>Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch<br>Frank Zappa - Hot Rats<br><br><br>Good call on Scott Henderson/Tribal Tech, Louison...haven't seen him/them mentioned too often, if at all...<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:18 pm 

okay,  here goes.   <br><br>saw weather report twice in the 70's,   changed my perspective on everything!!!  (dont know why)<br><br>saw miles around 77 or 78,   milwaukee wisconsin performing arts center.    great performance of a true legend,  and a very good venue.<br><br>saw mahavishnu john as "shakti"  ( double bill with weather report)  very cool acoustic eastern influence era for john.    <br><br>saw chick corea with gary burton late 70's. <br>also saw return to forever in their prime,   77 or so..<br><br>saw pat metheney around 79 or so,   lakefront in milwaukee, wi.  <br>fog rolled in off lake michigan,   very sureal..<br><br>and yeah,  i even saw chuck mangione once.    not bad...<br><br>favorite jazz  artists <br><br>miles davis   <br>weather report <br>eberhart weber <br>oregon/ralph towner<br>john mcglaughlin  <br>herbie hancock<br>jan garbarek<br>pat metheney<br>egberto gismonti<br>passport<br>gary burton<br>bela fleck --   not exactly jazz,  but it aint rock n roll either..<br><br>many others.      <br><br>that's it<br>rd<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:15 am 

[quote author=white person link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=0#4 date=01/13/03 at 21:21:03]<br><br>[ In a page right out of "This Baffling World", Miles had opened for the godforsaken Kenny G. I got the hell out of there despite an usher's urging me to stay for his set, because Kenny G was so spellbinding during the early show. Please.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Miles opened for Kenny G?!?!?!?!?! <br>And they still dare to ask: "Does humor belong in music?" !!!!!! <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:30 pm 

Anything by John Zorn, The Matt Wilson Quartet, Bill Frisell, Charles Mingus, Eric Dolphy, and T. Monk.  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:17 am 

Here´s some albums that belong in every home, along with those classics that everybody knows already (kind of blue, love supreme, mingus ah um etc. etc.). Ok. And these are just my humble opinions. Yes i´m IMHOING as a maniac here. Thank you.<br><br>Chick Corea: Now he sings, now he sobs, Tones for joans bones, trio music, Crystal silence (w/Gary Burton).<br><br>Kenny Wheeler: Music for large and small ensembles, Gnu high, Double, double you.<br><br>Peter Erskine: The ecm trio cd´s, sweet soul.<br><br>Miles Davis: Black Beauty, It´s about that time, We want Miles.<br><br>John Coltrane: Soultrane, Transition, Crescent, Ballads, Meditations (with this guy the list would be endless, so i´ll stop here.)Woops, couldn´t stop there. If possible, buy the Heavyweight Champion Box set.<br><br>Joe Lovano: Trio fascination, Quartets, Village Rhythm.<br><br>Paul Motian:The story of maryam, Jack of clubs, all the JMT albums.<br><br>Dave Liebman: (With Quest) N.Y. Nites. (As a solo artist)<br>Monk´s mood, Pendulum, The elements: water, Lookout farm, Return of the tenor-standards.<br><br>Elvin Jones: On the mountain, Live at the lighthouse.<br><br>Branford Marsalis: Dark keys.<br><br>Gary Burton: Duster, Dreams so real, Passengers, The new quartet.<br><br>Charlie Haden Liberation Music Orchestra: everything.<br><br>Ornette Coleman: If you have the dough, get the atlantic box called Beauty is a rare thing. Look for Virgin Beauty as well.<br><br>Keith Jarrett: The European Quartet stuff (Belonging, My song, Personal mountains, Nude ants). The standards trio releases. <br><br>If you can find Hal Galper´s Now Hear This, get it! (Hal Galper, Terumasa Hino, Cecil Mcbee and Tony Williams)<br><br>If you haven´t heard Bobo Stenson, you should.<br><br>The Fringe played the best free jazz i´ve ever witnessed live. Krakatau is a close second.<br><br>If you like GUITAR:<br><br>Raoul Björkenheim´s work is documented on ecm, rune gramofon and cuneiform labels. Look for: Volition, Matinale, Scorch Trio, Apocalypso and Revelator (a collaboration with Nicky Skopelitis and Bill Laswell. It´s on Douglas label.)<br><br>Ben Monder is one of the best current jazz guitarists. You can hear him on Maria Schneiders recordings as well as on his own solo albums recorded for Songlines and Arabesque labels. <br><br>Kurt Rosenwinkle and Wolfgang Muthspiel fall into this category as well. Rosenwinkle´s stuff is easiest to find.<br><br>If you liked these, you should give Mick Goodrick a listen. You should do that anyway. <br><br>If you liked Mick, check out Jim Hall. Maybe you could reverse the procedure here and start with Jim Hall.<br><br>I´ll mention Metheny, Abercrombie and Scofield as well, just to make sure.<br><br>Adam Rogers and Dave Fiuczynski are great too.<br><br>I´ll stop now, these things always turn endless. As soon as i turn of the computer off i´ll remember more great stuff....like inner urge, mountain in the clouds, speak like a child, juju, adam´s apple, reaching fourth, deer wan, delicate balance, where in the world, standard gonz, inner mounting flame, emergency!!......Bye for now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:52 am 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=0#7 date=01/15/03 at 10:47:42]<br>10. Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At the Half Note<br>[/quote]<br><br>I own a 2 CD set called "Impressions: The Verve Jazz Sides", which contains the complete Smokin' At The Half Note session on disc 2...it's well worth the price alone...you can check it out on towerrecords.com>Wes Montgomery>page 5...sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste a link...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:06 am 

some of my fav. 'classic' jazz albums:<br><br>Billie Holiday & Lester Young: complete recordings (especially the 1937 dates)<br>Charlie Parker: Savoy & Dial recordings / Jazz at Massey Hall<br>Miles Davis: Kind of blue / Miles smiles<br>John Coltrane: My favourite things / A love supreme<br>Ornette Coleman: The shape of jazz to come<br>Bill Evans: Sunday at the Village Vanguard<br>Duke Ellington: Money jungle<br>Charles Mingus: The black saint and the sinner lady<br><br>some of my fav. contemporary jazz albums:<br><br>John Zorn: Masada live at Tonic<br>Romano, Sclavis & Texier: Suite Africaine<br>Wayne Shorter: Footprints live!<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:49 pm 

Someone I don't see mentioned too often in this forum is Thelonious Monk...one of my "Magnificent 7 of Jazz" (along w/Miles, Mingus, Montgomery, Coltrane, Dolphy, and Weather Report)...a great composer (right up there with Mingus, IMO), and near the very top of my list of favorite instrumental performers...Monk's playing had a thoroughly unique originality, harmonic genius, and lot's of HUMOR...he had the ability to laugh at himself; to parody his own solo DURING his solo...<br><br>Anyway, here's some suggested listening for anyone interested in exploring the great music of this man, in solo, quartet, or big band format...<br><br>Brilliant Corners<br>Thelonious With John Coltrane<br>Misterioso (1958 version)<br>Orchestra At Town Hall<br>Alone In SanFrancisco (solo)<br>Monk's Dream (remaster)<br>Criss Cross<br>Big Band And Quartet In Concert<br>Underground<br>Live At The It Club-Complete<br>The Complete Columbia Studio Solo Recordings<br><br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:28 am 

Thelonious Monk is indeed one of the major composers in jazz.  But i wonder nobody mentioned Duke Ellington yet.  In my opinion he's still the most important big band composer in music history.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:38 pm 

Two stories from my "jazz archives", both from Rutgers in the late 70's:<br><br>1) Went to see Larry Coryell perform solo in the Rose Room, a small auditorium on the New Brunswick campus.  After the opening act of David Sancious and band (astonishingly excellent), we waited and waited but no Larry.  <br><br>Finally around 11pm he walked out and explained that his equipment had been stolen.  All he had was one electric guitar. He asked if anyone in the audience had an amp he could borrow. A student ran back to his dorm and returned about 20 mins. later with this "cheesy little amp"...well Larry plugged in and proceeded to blow that room away with what remains to this day one of the more memorable electric guitar performances I've ever seen or heard...a few songs and then about 30 minutes of non-stop free form jamming...incredible!<br><br>2) Went to a monthly jazz concert given by the Livingston College Jazz Department. These shows were in 2 parts...the 1st set was the LC student jazz ensemble performance and the 2nd set was a performance by the quintet of the Livingston "Jazz Professors"...I'll go into more detail about them on another post.<br><br>Anyway, after the regular concert Paul Jeffrey, the ensemble leader and tenor sax player of the profs came back out and said that before we left he wanted us to hear a solo guitar performance by a young musician who was currently a student at Princeton...Jeffrey advised the audience to stick around and remember this night, because this kid was incredible and he was sure this kid was going to be famous some day..."mark my words", he said...turns out the kid was Stanley Jordan...and incredible he was.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:46 pm 

[quote author=ZF link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=0#13 date=01/25/03 at 05:04:11]If u ever have the chance to come to the Netherlands, u have to come mid July for the Best Jazz Festival Europe:<br><br>[sup] The North Sea Jazz Festival in the Hague[/sup]<br><br>Check it out:<br><br>http://www.northseajazz.nl/nsj23.en.html<br><br>I go every year, since my first visit about ten years ago...[/quote]<br><br>Round trip plane ticket from the US to the Netherlands:  $1000<br><br>Hotel and Food:  $1000<br><br>Jazz Festival Tickets:  $500<br><br>The Chance To Meet And Hang Out With ZF:  PRICELESS!<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:55 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=15#17 date=01/27/03 at 02:57:00]At various points during my childhood, my parents took me to see:<br><br>Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Dave Brubeck, Cab Calloway, Charlie Mingus, and any number of other Jazz greats that I don't even remember seeing.<br><br>And for that I'm eternally grateful.[/quote]<br><br>WOW!  WHAT COOL PARENTS!  I never even heard of Mingus until after he died. I'd have given anything...<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:26 am 

Well my parents did turn me on to classical music, gotta love 'em for that, but my dad was into a lot of country stuff like Glenn Campbell and Hank Williams...and then the whole Sinatra and Barbara Streisand thing...but he DID teach me to harmonize at the age of 7 and for that I'm eternally grateful ( I played guitar and sang harmony while dad belted out "Your Cheatin' Heart", "El Paso", etc.)

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:50 pm 

Hey all,<br><br>Picked up Weather Report's "Live And Unreleased" today...great, great stuff...a MUST HAVE if you're into this band! Two discs of previously unreleased tracks spanning 1975-1983, all live. It COOKS!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:08 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=15#21 date=01/29/03 at 16:50:54]Hey all,<br><br>Picked up Weather Report's "Live And Unreleased" today...great, great stuff...a MUST HAVE if you're into this band! Two discs of previously unreleased tracks spanning 1975-1983, all live. It COOKS![/quote]<br><br>Tell More please! What label? Is Miroslav featured? Looks like a trip to the cd store is close at hand...again...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:48 pm 

[quote author=palokas link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=15#22 date=01/29/03 at 17:08:47]<br><br>Tell More please! What label? Is Miroslav featured? Looks like a trip to the cd store is close at hand...again...[/quote]<br><br>It's on Columbia Legacy...was released ( in the states at least) late 2002...sad news if your a Miroslav fan; he doesn't appear on the disc...these tracks are all taken from 1975-1983 and feature a mix of Alphonso Johnson(5 tracks), Jaco (8 tracks), and Victor Bailey (3 tracks). If your into Miroslav I'd recommend the double disc "Live In Tokyo"...he is featured on all tracks.<br><br>But be assured it is a quite excellent overview, each disc 60 minutes plus, with only 2 repeats from the live disc "8:30" (Black Market and Teen Town; however L&U contains different versions of these).  Great extended improv throughout.<br><br>Anyone who has followed WR thru all their incarnations thru the years won't be dissappointed.<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:51 am 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=15#23 date=01/29/03 at 18:48:31]<br><br>It's on Columbia Legacy...was released ( in the states at least) late 2002...sad news if your a Miroslav fan; he doesn't appear on the disc...these tracks are all taken from 1975-1983 and feature a mix of Alphonso Johnson(5 tracks), Jaco (8 tracks), and Victor Bailey (3 tracks). If your into Miroslav I'd recommend the double disc "Live In Tokyo"...he is featured on all tracks.<br><br>But be assured it is a quite excellent overview, each disc 60 minutes plus, with only 2 repeats from the live disc "8:30" (Black Market and Teen Town; however L&U contains different versions of these).  Great extended improv throughout.<br><br>Anyone who has followed WR thru all their incarnations thru the years won't be dissappointed.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thank you very much, i´ll go get it anyway (i´m not a miroslav fan per se, i just like the acoustic edition of that band a lot....well, the jaco band rules too). Weather Report. One more act that i wish i had seen live.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:19 am 

[quote author=palokas link=board=rant;num=1042481135;start=0#7 date=01/16/03 at 04:17:10]<br><br><br>Kenny Wheeler: Music for large and small ensembles, Gnu high, Double, double you.<br>Iquote]<br><br>Last time I saw Kenny perform ( oct. 2002), I had the impression his playing declined.  Could it be true?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next