Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:09 am 

Frank Zappa song with the phrase "her favorite sport was hockey in the winter" What song is it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 am 

reedwi wrote:
Frank Zappa song with the phrase "her favorite sport was hockey in the winter" What song is it?

Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:23 am 

reedwi wrote:

"Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?"

Post subject: thanks a ton
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:24 am 

thanks a ton. You are absolutely right!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:13 am 

Wait, was this a question, or an attempt at trivia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am 

It was a question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:48 am 

excuse me, but what is the story behind "hockey in the winter"?
I know "honey don't you ..." quite well, but never got the joke ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:30 pm 

DoktorFaustroll wrote:
excuse me, but what is the story behind "hockey in the winter"?
I know "honey don't you ..." quite well, but never got the joke ...

And for that matter, how is "any sport with a puck has to be about the best" a elbow-jab-worthy thing to say? Is it because "puck" rhymes with "fuck"? Granted, given the character in the song, it's probably intended (by Frank) to be a bad joke, but I'm just making sure I understand what the joke is.

My comprehension of Frank Zappa is kind of in a slump these days. I apologize to you all. I probably need a good shot of Lather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:48 pm 

She was only a goaltender's daughter, but she sure let alot of rubber past her crease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 pm 

Quote:
And for that matter, how is "any sport with a puck has to be about the best" a elbow-jab-worthy thing to say? Is it because "puck" rhymes with "fuck"? Granted, given the character in the song, it's probably intended (by Frank) to be a bad joke, but I'm just making sure I understand what the joke is.

yeah, you're dead on. You know the type, the ones that use lame ass jokes to get women to like them, and hopefully sleep with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:46 pm 

Joe Mama wrote:
Quote:

yeah, you're dead on. You know the type, the ones that use lame ass jokes to get women to like them, and hopefully sleep with.

That's most of us, isn't it??? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 pm 

^lmfao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:05 am 

just plain doug wrote:
She was only a goaltender's daughter, but she sure let alot of rubber past her crease.

An old Canadian Proverb, Doug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:53 am 

feetlightup wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

An old Canadian Proverb, Doug?

More of an ad hominem.

Post subject: hockey
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:44 am 
Banned

Post subject: Re: hockey
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:50 pm 
Banned

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

Isn't that the truth. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:53 pm 
Banned

Ovechkin should be a no-brainer for Hart Trophy this season

The Montreal Gazette
Published 15 hours ago

A lot of games remain to determine whether or not the Washington Capitals make it to the playoffs for the first time since 2003. But even as you read this, Alex Ovechkin is having his name engraved on the Rocket Richard Trophy for most goals and could also win the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's top point-getter.

More importantly, even if the Capitals don't make the playoffs, Ovechkin's name will add a shine to the Hart Trophy. Everything Ovechkin brings to the table is what that trophy stands for. Win or lose, if Ovechkin is not the most valuable player to his team this season, who is? If he's not the NHL's most exciting player, who is? There is a misguided notion - an "unwritten rule" I heard someone mention on the telly a few days ago - that the league's MVP should come from a playoff team.

There was an uproar, of sorts, in 1954 when goaltender Al Rollins won the Hart Trophy even though his Chicago Blackhawks finished last in the six-team league. Andy Bathgate was the winner in 1958-59 when the New York Rangers were out of the playoffs, and Mario Lemieux was awarded it in 1987-88 when the Pittsburgh Penguins ended the season dead-last in the Patrick Division.

Ovechkin's selection this season would be a no-brainer. He is everything that is good about hockey, a delight to fans everywhere. Watching him makes people of all ages smile. He is The Game's soul, its brightest light.

Don't take my word for it. Instead, here's what Capitals goaltender Olaf Kolzig was saying after Ovechkin scored his 53rd and 54th goals of the season following the Capitals' 3-1 victory over the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday: "He's the best player I've ever played with. I've played with Jaromir Jagr. I've played with Peter Bondra. I've played with a number of guys. They all have their specific strengths, but this guy does it all." Added Washington coach Bruce Boudreau: "We see him every day, and there's been four or five occasions when you say: 'He can't top this, he can't be better than this, he can't do that.' And then he does. I can't say any more except 'holy smokes, he's not bad.' " You'd expect a teammate and his coach to say those things about Ovechkin, but here's what Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was saying about him: "He is unbelievable," Ruff told Buffalo News columnist Bucky Gleason. "I admire the way he plays. I admire the enthusiasm. He can play a physical game. He can beat you one-on-one. He has a terrific shot. His energy and his passion, if you could bottle that and stick it inside your players, you would have an unbelievable team.

"He's so good for the game," Ruff added. "His energy is so good for the game. He's having so much fun playing the game.

"It's what the game is all about," Ruff added. "There's not a lot of fun moments in the game. Ovechkin makes it fun almost shift in, shift out. And he's not a fun guy to play against. When he hits you, he hurts you. What an element to have as a player!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm 
Banned

Ovechkin should be a no-brainer for Hart Trophy this season

The Montreal Gazette
Published 15 hours ago

A lot of games remain to determine whether or not the Washington Capitals make it to the playoffs for the first time since 2003. But even as you read this, Alex Ovechkin is having his name engraved on the Rocket Richard Trophy for most goals and could also win the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's top point-getter.

More importantly, even if the Capitals don't make the playoffs, Ovechkin's name will add a shine to the Hart Trophy. Everything Ovechkin brings to the table is what that trophy stands for. Win or lose, if Ovechkin is not the most valuable player to his team this season, who is? If he's not the NHL's most exciting player, who is? There is a misguided notion - an "unwritten rule" I heard someone mention on the telly a few days ago - that the league's MVP should come from a playoff team.

There was an uproar, of sorts, in 1954 when goaltender Al Rollins won the Hart Trophy even though his Chicago Blackhawks finished last in the six-team league. Andy Bathgate was the winner in 1958-59 when the New York Rangers were out of the playoffs, and Mario Lemieux was awarded it in 1987-88 when the Pittsburgh Penguins ended the season dead-last in the Patrick Division.

Ovechkin's selection this season would be a no-brainer. He is everything that is good about hockey, a delight to fans everywhere. Watching him makes people of all ages smile. He is The Game's soul, its brightest light.

Don't take my word for it. Instead, here's what Capitals goaltender Olaf Kolzig was saying after Ovechkin scored his 53rd and 54th goals of the season following the Capitals' 3-1 victory over the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday: "He's the best player I've ever played with. I've played with Jaromir Jagr. I've played with Peter Bondra. I've played with a number of guys. They all have their specific strengths, but this guy does it all." Added Washington coach Bruce Boudreau: "We see him every day, and there's been four or five occasions when you say: 'He can't top this, he can't be better than this, he can't do that.' And then he does. I can't say any more except 'holy smokes, he's not bad.' " You'd expect a teammate and his coach to say those things about Ovechkin, but here's what Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was saying about him: "He is unbelievable," Ruff told Buffalo News columnist Bucky Gleason. "I admire the way he plays. I admire the enthusiasm. He can play a physical game. He can beat you one-on-one. He has a terrific shot. His energy and his passion, if you could bottle that and stick it inside your players, you would have an unbelievable team.

"He's so good for the game," Ruff added. "His energy is so good for the game. He's having so much fun playing the game.

"It's what the game is all about," Ruff added. "There's not a lot of fun moments in the game. Ovechkin makes it fun almost shift in, shift out. And he's not a fun guy to play against. When he hits you, he hurts you. What an element to have as a player!"

Yeah, and I'm a Buffalo Sabres fan, so I experienced it first hand earlier in the week when he basically single-handedly beat the Sabres. Amazing player though. He should win the Hart trophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:51 pm 

Wait, they still play hockey in this country?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:42 am 
Banned

calvin2hikers wrote:

Yeah, but it's underground like Fight Club. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:56 am 
Banned

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Yeah, but it's underground like Fight Club. :lol:

I went to the fights the other night, and a hockey game broke out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:06 am 
Banned

Ouch! Just finished watching Penguins @ Capitols on television. With the score tied and less than a minute to go in regulation, the Caps put the puck into their own net, and a quick empty-netter followed.

Caps lose 4-2 :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:17 am 

Yea I just saw that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:37 pm 

Ouch! Just finished watching Penguins @ Capitols on television. With the score tied and less than a minute to go in regulation, the Caps put the puck into their own net, and a quick empty-netter followed.

Caps lose 4-2 :cry:

Yeah Pens!! I don't get to see many Penguins games anymore living in SoCal and this was the national game today and I couldn't wake up this morning to watch it!

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 am 

Go Red Wings