Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:49 am 

I thought maybe a thread where people could share their leisure pursuits and activities could fly. I'm kind of at a point where I need to come up with some new shit (or rekindle some old shit). My youngest son will be graduating from High School in a year so he doesn't need me involved with his life like he used to and as a divorced Dad my financial situation should be improving as child support ends soon and I should be due some pay increases over the next few years. So in theory, mo' money and mo' time as the years roll on. What's a 50 something Zappa fan to do with his spare time?

I work in the Parks and Recreation field (my oldest son and his girlfriend even think I look like Ron Swanson) so I'm exposed to lots of possibilities and have taken advantage of that. Over the years recreational pursuits have included softball, basketball, tennis, golf, tae kwondo, and guitar. Also as a Zappa fan it's no surprise that I like to collect music and go to concerts. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what other people are into. Stamp collecting, whitewater rafting, spelunking, whatever?

I think first up for me is taking some group golf lessons starting on Monday. I used to play golf a lot in the '90's but have probably been on a course three times in last ten years. Tennis lessons after that. They're resurfacing the court at my Apartment as I speak so I want to start tearing that up too.

Well, let's hear it.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:30 am 

If you haven't got one, get a power drill, then a power saw.
Then start making stuff with timber.
Bunk beds, goat sheds, bike racks, and guitars now.
TT

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:49 am 

My hobby is songwriting and composing. It's a serious hobby but only myself and maybe five other people ever hear the results. Doesn't matter though. Keeps me away from the TV, out of the bars and off the roof with my rifle.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:46 pm 

Dances wrote:
My hobby is songwriting and composing. It's a serious hobby but only myself and maybe five other people ever hear the results. Doesn't matter though. Keeps me away from the TV, out of the bars and off the roof with my rifle.

:mrgreen: That's what I'm shooting for if you can forgive the pun.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:52 pm 

Other than collecting and listening to Zappa, my only hobby is NHL hockey. My team is in the playoffs, but I would be watching even if they weren't. I know most Zappa fans aren't into sports, but any sport with a puck would be about the best. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:05 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Other than collecting and listening to Zappa, my only hobby is NHL hockey. My team is in the playoffs, but I would be watching even if they weren't. I know most Zappa fans aren't into sports, but any sport with a puck would be about the best. :mrgreen:

I think there are more sports fans around here than you might think. I was a sports junkie growing up and still follow NBA basketball (watching a playoff game right now) and NFL football. I'm a casual fan of other sports as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 pm 

deuce wrote:
TT

I admire people who have the ability to do that stuff but I've never been very handy. Also, I live in an apartment so I'd have a tough time hammering and sawing and drilling all the time without drawing some unwanted attention.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:29 pm 

KUIII wrote:
deuce wrote:
TT

I admire people who have the ability to do that stuff but I've never been very handy. Also, I live in an apartment so I'd have a tough time hammering and sawing and drilling all the time without drawing some unwanted attention.

I admire those people too. I can drive the shit out of a forklift, but I can't build or fix anything.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:47 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
KUIII wrote:
deuce wrote:
TT

I admire those people too. I can drive the shit out of a forklift, but I can't build or fix anything.

None of its 'that' good - working with timber is great though.
If I could, I'd get yous all a bottle of my plum wine - thats takes a bit of careful graft. I'm on it right now :P .

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:43 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I think there are more sports fans around here than you might think....

I am a fanatical mountain bike rider for 20 years now. i am learning tricks with the bicycle (like the wheelie that i can do pretty good) and also use it for vacation purposes (i rareley enter a plane without my bike as part of the luggage). Of course a mountainbike with a carrier also can be properly used in white zones that are for loading or unloading only and it is indeed a great way of life. It is much more than just a hobby for me, it's a passion. I think, whatever u'll choose as a hobby, it absoluteley needs passion. Otherwise it won't work. So we can provide some suggestions here but finally u have to listen to the voice of your heart, when it tells u: i wanna do!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:09 pm 

ursinator wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I am a fanatical mountain bike rider for 20 years now. i am learning tricks with the bicycle (like the wheelie that i can do pretty good) and also use it for vacation purposes (i rareley enter a plane without my bike as part of the luggage). Of course a mountainbike with a carrier also can be properly used in white zones that are for loading or unloading only and it is indeed a great way of life. It is much more than just a hobby for me, it's a passion. I think, whatever u'll choose as a hobby, it absoluteley needs passion. Otherwise it won't work. So we can provide some suggestions here but finally u have to listen to the voice of your heart, when it tells u: i wanna do!

Yeah, I hear ya. There are lots of things that I've done and enjoyed but it's been awhile since I've been involved with something that I was truly passionate about. I just need to just get out there and try some things and see where the fire burns the hottest. I've spent too much time just working and trying to do right by others that I haven't really been able to develop any of my own interests in recent years. Time to break out of this rut.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:18 pm 

I like to spend too much money for records. I've got a racing cycle and a motorbike I don't use. Instead I'm reading and watching films on tv, dvd, and at the big screens. I'm interested in history and art. On top of that I'm trying to make women happy.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:36 pm 

ursinator wrote:
KUIII wrote:

That's a cool hobby, and it keeps you physically fit. I wish I could find something like that I'm passionate about. Your last few sentences say it all. It has to be something you are passionate about.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:51 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
I like to spend too much money for records. I've got a racing cycle and a motorbike I don't use. Instead I'm reading and watching films on tv, dvd, and at the big screens. I'm interested in history and art. On top of that I'm trying to make women happy.

That actually sounds a lot like how I spend a lot of my time and money. Well, except I haven't been trying too hard on that women part lately except for getting the ex her check every month.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:15 am 

KUIII wrote:
Well, except I haven't been trying too hard on that women part lately except for getting the ex her check every month.

I know what you mean ... : ...grrrr .... But the trick is not to get married again :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:25 pm 

Making wood art is my hobby. :arrow: http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery ... 2396-trip/

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:47 am 

Nice Trip!

I play musical instruments, study foreign languages and draw. And knit. Currently I'm knitting a lot of elephants to sell them online.

http://bonnzai.deviantart.com/
Have a look at my dA!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:29 am 

I build balsa wood plane models. Takes shitloads of time...Not for flying

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:24 am 

Philostopher wrote:

Hey Phil, I'm a huge hockey fan (being Canadian, can you blame me?). I'm rooting for the Bruins, but I really think the Blackhawks are going to repeat the cup victory. I go to quite a few QMJHL games with my dad and I watched Nathan MacKinnon play a bunch of times last year.

I have a three year old daughter, so most of my free time is spent with her and my wife, which I enjoy tremendously. I have a few staple tv shows that I watch. I'm really into old exploitation movies. I slappa da bass with some old university buddies every now and then when I have time. A lot of my extended family lives near me, so I spend a lot of time with them as well, which is fantastic. I began exercising with DDP Yoga a few months ago. I seriously haven't felt this good since I played hockey when I was 14 years old, I'm now 33. I also read books whilst on the bus to and from work every day.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:24 pm 

Trip wrote:

That's some nice stuff, Trip. I've seen some of your work over at Kapt. Kiirk's place. Do you sell your stuff? If so, I might be interested.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:55 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

Hey Phil, I'm a huge hockey fan (being Canadian, can you blame me?). I'm rooting for the Bruins, but I really think the Blackhawks are going to repeat the cup victory. I go to quite a few QMJHL games with my dad and I watched Nathan MacKinnon play a bunch of times last year.

I have a three year old daughter, so most of my free time is spent with her and my wife, which I enjoy tremendously. I have a few staple tv shows that I watch. I'm really into old exploitation movies. I slappa da bass with some old university buddies every now and then when I have time. A lot of my extended family lives near me, so I spend a lot of time with them as well, which is fantastic. I began exercising with DDP Yoga a few months ago. I seriously haven't felt this good since I played hockey when I was 14 years old, I'm now 33. I also read books whilst on the bus to and from work every day.

It's funny. I never played hockey. I got into it by accident. I never liked sports much growing up. I met these 2 brothers from Pittsburgh in 1987, and starting hanging out with them to watch games. I got hooked, and have been following the Pens every since. I will root for the Bruins though, if we get knocked out of the playoffs. The only team I really hate is the Rangers, because that's the ex-wife's team. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:20 pm 

BBP wrote:
Nice Trip!

I play musical instruments, study foreign languages and draw. And knit. Currently I'm knitting a lot of elephants to sell them online.

http://bonnzai.deviantart.com/
Have a look at my dA!

Thanks Bonnie,cool stuff you have over at Deviantart.

KUIII wrote:
Trip wrote:

That's some nice stuff, Trip. I've seen some of your work over at Kapt. Kiirk's place. Do you sell your stuff? If so, I might be interested.

Thanks Dean & yes I sell my stuff,send me a pm with what you want & we can work something out.