Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Had Enough Who Yet?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:03 am 

I gave up on The Who decades ago for all the reasons you've probably already thought of. Then for reasons unknown I started going through their old albums again. Long Live Rock and many other tunes sounded fresh again, especially Gonna Get You (PT solo), which has become evergreen.
So, last night I threw on their Quadrophenia in London on cable and was kinda bummed. Daltry sounds like he chugs whole milk between lines and Townshend wasn't interesting at all, guitar-wise.
I didn't finish watching it. I skipped several song that were inducing sleep. Ill probably watch the favorites that they perform for the last few songs, but this concert has me close to reclosing a door that was closed for a long time.

Post subject: Re: Had Enough Who Yet?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:53 pm 

For me, The Who as a concert force was done for good when John Entwistle passed away. But I still cycle through their old studio albums. And their live stuff with Entwistle was great (and Entwistle's compositions on old Who albums are among my favorites).. They declined in concert (and on album) when Moon died and was replaced by Kenny Jones but the 2000 Albert Hall set (Entwistle's last major tour) with Zak Starkey on drums was surprisingly good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:22 pm 

No.

Of course, it's not the same without Entwistle and Moon. And while I don't love 'em, I like 'em enough to see them again live when they embark on their final farewell tour next year. Quadrophenia is my favourite album, and I was quite disappointed when they toured it again recently but didn't play here. I've only seen The Who live once, which was in 2006. I also saw Daltrey perform Tommy live in 2011. I thoroughly enjoyed both shows...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:27 pm 

I was a big fan for years and had fully accepted 1982 was it for them. And moved on to other music(mainly FZ). I saw a JAE show in the late 90's and it renewed my interest to some degree. Plus they had sort of reinvigorated themselves by then. Then in 2002, tragedy strikes again. I went and saw an 02 show and it was good, PT tore it up. But without JAE, the two aren't the who. These days if I ever listen to them, it would be something live from the Moon years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:27 pm 

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are both 70. :shock: If they can just show up to the gigs and plunk out three songs before they fall asleep, God bless 'em.

I'm not interested, but I know lots of people are. God bless 'em, too...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:05 am 

I started listening to them again after I listened to Who Are You, which I forgot how much I really liked. I wouldn't go see them, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:28 pm 

have always liked the who sell out, tommy, live at leeds, who's next and quadrophenia. classic albums.

and, the ultimate collection (2002) has all the great singles and more.

great band. but their first "farewell" tour in 1982 should probably have been their last...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:07 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
...great band. but their first "farewell" tour in 1982 should probably have been their last...

Thanks for pointing that out. All these years I thought the early 1980 tour was the first farewell tour, and the mid-1980 tour (the one I saw) was the second farewell tour. I just checked on-line, and you're right. Townsend calls the 1982 tour the first farewell tour. All I saw was just a plain old regular concert. :(
At least I got to see Daltry spin his microphone, toss it way up into the air, then miss catching it when it came down. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:14 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
...great band. but their first "farewell" tour in 1982 should probably have been their last...

Thanks for pointing that out. All these years I thought the early 1980 tour was the first farewell tour, and the mid-1980 tour (the one I saw) was the second farewell tour. I just checked on-line, and you're right. Townsend calls the 1982 tour the first farewell tour. All I saw was just a plain old regular concert. :(
At least I got to see Daltry spin his microphone, toss it way up into the air, then miss catching it when it came down. 8)

I can't believe it only cost you $15 for a ticket! That's insane!