Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:35 pm 

About 12 years ago I began buying Stravinsky cds and really getting into his works. I bought the Bernstein edition of Rite and Firebird and the rest were on Naxos. Lots of piano music, The Soldier's Tale, a couple of concertos and things like Dumbarton Oaks and Pulcinella. Because i bought them one at a time and absorbed them i really enjoyed them. Then a year or so later i was in HMV and saw the recorded legacy boxset for £69. I bought it, which is quite typical for me, and thought that this would be all the Stravinsky that i ever needed.

For some reason though i have never really gotten into the other pieces that were new to me. I really dont care for a lot of the operatic stuff and certainly a lot of the pieces that i already knew, like rite and firebird do not sound better just because they were conducted by the man himself. I've also read a number of reviews that he wasnt particularly good at conducting his own stuff - that's my layman's explanation.
I also realised that one of the pieces - Les Cinqt Doits that i absolutely loved on piano was only included in this box set in a revised version scored for 15 pieces. It's nice but i prefer the piano original which i have played by Peter Hill, on Naxos.

All these years later i still have all the original cds that i bought and i'm wondering whether i should finally sell the box set (which is great condition by the way) and maybe buy the Boulez boxset that has rave reviews. Sure, i'd have some duplicate versions of tracks but that's not unusual when dealing with classical music.

I just wondered whether anyone here had a view on this or had any advice.
I know that the box set that i have is well out of print and is probably seriously devalued since that replacement boxset surfaced at about £25 in 2007 but i wouldn't expect much for it. It would just be good to sell it i guess.

So, enough waffling - any advice anyone?
Should i have been satisfied with collection i had before i bought the boxset?
A lot of this stemmed from the Boulez conducted version of Tilim Bom that i have heard on youtube, that i love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:26 pm 

Relax and listen to The Ebony Concerto. That'll make everything ok.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:17 pm 

If you're not feeling the Stravinsky conducts Stravinsky and want the Boulez then go for it. You're right, it is absolutely not unusual to have multiple performances of the same work. Boulez is an excellent Stravinsky interpreter, and the performances and the sound are great. I own many of the individual Boulez CD's. I don't think you'll be disappointed. But I would hold off on selling the box set until you're completely sure. You don't want to regret selling something. Except for The Rite, I'm not the biggest fan of Igor conducting his own works either.

And furthermore: start listening to Bartok!

There's a great Boulez Bartok box...just saying...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:35 pm 

+1 for the Ebony Concerto
and the Boulez box

Check out some Takamitsu while you're at it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:19 am 

Join your local rotary club and listen to music no more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:16 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I have to cook for Rotarians every now and then. They are all fucking cunts.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
If you're not feeling the Stravinsky conducts Stravinsky and want the Boulez then go for it. You're right, it is absolutely not unusual to have multiple performances of the same work. Boulez is an excellent Stravinsky interpreter, and the performances and the sound are great. I own many of the individual Boulez CD's. I don't think you'll be disappointed. But I would hold off on selling the box set until you're completely sure. You don't want to regret selling something. Except for The Rite, I'm not the biggest fan of Igor conducting his own works either.

And furthermore: start listening to Bartok!

There's a great Boulez Bartok box...just saying...

interesting comments. The only Bartok that i own is the living stereo release of the fritz reiner concerto for orchestra, music for strings, percussion and celesta and hungarian sketchs. Whilst i do like it it would be a big jump to buy the boulez bartok boxset - fucking tempting though.
Tempting to get both!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:05 am 

thenoisydrum wrote:
interesting comments. The only Bartok that i own is the living stereo release of the fritz reiner concerto for orchestra, music for strings, percussion and celesta and hungarian sketchs. Whilst i do like it it would be a big jump to buy the boulez bartok boxset - fucking tempting though.
Tempting to get both!!

I own the Reiner as well. A great disc, a reference performance. As with the Stravinsky, I own most of the Boulez Bartok cd's individually, and again they are consistently excellent performances. Boulez's version of The Wooden Prince is the best I've heard, bar none.

Go for it! And then, while you're at it:

Boulez's version of Daphnis et Chloe is a desert island disc, again my absolute favorite performance of the work.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:09 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

The simple, plain truth of the matter. Once again Cal, thank you. You're a life-changer.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:24 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

The simple, plain truth of the matter. Once again Cal, thank you. You're a life-changer.

It's a gift and what I do.

(Sorry, I'll stop now.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:08 pm 

Thanks SIAJ, I'm seriously tempted now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:23 am 

Keep them all. After all, you'd probably keep multiples of Zappa performances.
I've got that no set and a couple of Boulez discs, plus a few Naxos, and I don't want to get rid of any.

I would second the suggestion to get some more Bartok.
The string quartets are great. The folk stuff is triffic.
There are some nuggets in the Mikrokosmos series.

I have often likened BB to FZ in terms of their obvious passion for, and desire to document, their respective 'vernacular' musics. Toyed with the idea of doing a thesis for an as yet unstarted music degree. Maybe when I retire....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 am 

Quilt wrote:
Keep them all. After all, you'd probably keep multiples of Zappa performances.
I've got that no set and a couple of Boulez discs, plus a few Naxos, and I don't want to get rid of any.

I would second the suggestion to get some more Bartok.
The string quartets are great. The folk stuff is triffic.
There are some nuggets in the Mikrokosmos series.

I have often likened BB to FZ in terms of their obvious passion for, and desire to document, their respective 'vernacular' musics. Toyed with the idea of doing a thesis for an as yet unstarted music degree. Maybe when I retire....

That's not a bad idea keeping the box you know Quilt. If I get a good bonus this month and a successful claim for some (possibly) mis-sold PPI then I'm buying both the Stravinsky and the Bartok Boulez box-sets - happy fucking Christmas 'Drum! 8)